Default Superman #23 Discussion

So basically just set up for Bendis new magic villain Xanadoth. I feel kinda meh toward her so far, but hey new female Rogue! Clark could always use more. It was amusing to see Clark try to explain how utterly insane the last couple months of his life have been to Khalid, and I like that Khalid is still making appearances. Issue was a weak start overall though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I liked this issue, not only for Maguire's unparalleled affinity for facial expressions, but Xanadoth was appropriately self-aggrandizing and goofy. Look forward to seeing what magical nonsense he can throw at Superman and the new Dr.Fate, who I also like a lot.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

A re-cap issue, thinly veiled as therapy. Liked it. But considering the Corona virus delays I would prefer a little more meat.
    But I thoroughly enjoyed Superman's and Fates discussion.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I can't help but feel that this story arc might be Bendis' thinly disguised version of Miracle Monday with his run ending with the status quo back in place.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

Can someone provide me with some background information? I quit reading JLD a long time ago, but in the last issues that I read Khalid was no longer Doctor Fate, and Nabu has assumed the role directly. Did that change in some subsequent issue of JLD, or in some other book? Is Khalid acting as an agent of Nabu now? if not, what became of Nabu, and who is powering Doctor Fate? Or is this all explained in this issue of Superman? Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I haven't been following these characters very closely of late (as should be obvious!).

Astonishing Member

Khalid is easily one of the better reinventions of a long time character along side Robbie and Jaime Reyes.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Can someone provide me with some background information? I quit reading JLD a long time ago, but in the last issues that I read Khalid was no longer Doctor Fate, and Nabu has assumed the role directly. Did that change in some subsequent issue of JLD, or in some other book? Is Khalid acting as an agent of Nabu now? if not, what became of Nabu, and who is powering Doctor Fate? Or is this all explained in this issue of Superman? Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I haven't been following these characters very closely of late (as should be obvious!).
    JL Dark explains a lot of it, but basically Khalid is back and still retains the role of Dr. Fate, Kent Nelson is alive and helping to train him. Nabu and the other Lords of Order went full villain and that’s what pushed Kent to fully give up the role and devote his time to start training Khalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    JL Dark explains a lot of it, but basically Khalid is back and still retains the role of Dr. Fate, Kent Nelson is alive and helping to train him. Nabu and the other Lords of Order went full villain and that’s what pushed Kent to fully give up the role and devote his time to start training Khalid.
    I'm not crazy about Khalid's costume but maybe we can have a consistent Fate for at least 3-4 years now.

Incredible Member

Nice to see Superman given some space to vent on the crazy in his life. Man, basically Madame Xanadu has her a$$ handed to her every single time doesn't she?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So, is Madame Xanadu still Vivien from Arthurian myth?

It's nice to see Supes talk through all the mess Bendis has put him through and how stupid it was to age Jon up but I am not looking forward to Bendis messing with Fate and all the great things Tynion has done over in Justice League Dark. He's really not good at playing with other people's toys.

BANNED

I was entertained. Just don't get the hate, never did. Beats Super Dad 5-0 every issue.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I was entertained. Just don't get the hate, never did. Beats Super Dad 5-0 every issue.
    It's just bland, has lots drama(bad) and shock value nonsense. Really, that conversation with dr. Fate itself drives the point.Bendis is trying to meta it.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I liked this story. It didn't really move the plot along but I did enthusiastically enjoy watching Superman process how out of control his life has become.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I can't help but feel that this story arc might be Bendis' thinly disguised version of Miracle Monday with his run ending with the status quo back in place.
    Definitely agree. And his interviews hint as much. He always clean ups after finishing a run, except if the next writer or company wants to play with his plots.