Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Tales from the Dark Multiverse - Death of Superman

In October, the Dark Multiverse will be used to its full potential, by giving us a spin on the classic Death of Superman storyline.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-tales-dark-mu...lane-one-shot/

What do you think about it ?

Sounds cool to me! I'm interested in a love-struck/grieving Lois. Sounds better than Injustice already.

Astonishing Member

I'm not keen on the premise but will buy for Lois (and I like the Eradicator so it could be a two-for).
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 07-15-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Sounds great actually! Finally an Elseworld that doesn't fridge Lois! Lois Kills the DCU would be hilarious. And the team is solid. Loveness has had a few good Superman short so it'll be interesting to see how he does here. And Lee Weeks is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Sounds great actually! Finally an Elseworld that doesn't fridge Lois! Lois Kills the DCU would be hilarious. And the team is solid. Loveness has had a few good Superman short so it'll be interesting to see how he does here. And Lee Weeks is great.
    Aw, they should have named it that!

My initial reaction was “Oh **** not another Death of Superman retelling” but this honestly sounds interesting. Lois being the one to go nuts is an interesting twist, Loveness has written some great Superman stories, and I loved Weekes Superman in Lois and Clark. I’ll check this out.

So...DC does "What If" with the Dark Multiverse? At least that's my take on it.

Nice to see Loveness getting more Big Two works and Lee Weeks on Superman again .

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This sounds good. I may get it. I just wish we'd get to see more positive takes on the multiverse. But I guess that wouldn't be as interesting storywise, would it?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

I'm a bit more on the fence, It could be a great story, but a revenge driven Lois strikes me as a variation on the usual twisted Superman trope. If Batman plays any role in the resolution, it'll just push me further out of the DC realm.

And I really wish the Dark Multiverse would just crawl back under the rock it belongs under. After all the talk of bringing DC back to it's glory days they really think focusing on the worst possible outcomes is the right step.

I'd rather see a world where Superman doesn't return after that death, but Lois plays a central role (powered or not) in assembling people to carry on the never ending battle. Or a world where we see Lois raising Jon after Superman's death that wasn't focused on how much everything goes downhill after that battle.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This is exactly what I was hoping they'd do with Elseworlds and the Dark Multiverse when they returned/were introduced.

This could be fun, and I'm a complete sucker for Lee Weeks art, regardless of if it's interior or covers.

More one shots! I'll always welcome those. This and more limited series is a direction I'm glad DC is pursuing.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-15-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'm a bit more on the fence, It could be a great story, but a revenge driven Lois strikes me as a variation on the usual twisted Superman trope. If Batman plays any role in the resolution, it'll just push me further out of the DC realm.

And I really wish the Dark Multiverse would just crawl back under the rock it belongs under. After all the talk of bringing DC back to it's glory days they really think focusing on the worst possible outcomes is the right step.

I'd rather see a world where Superman doesn't return after that death, but Lois plays a central role (powered or not) in assembling people to carry on the never ending battle. Or a world where we see Lois raising Jon after Superman's death that wasn't focused on how much everything goes downhill after that battle.
    I get this, and to an extent agree with you, but since the default Elseworld model is "kill off Lois" and go from there it's refreshing to see it taken in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This sounds good. I may get it. I just wish we'd get to see more positive takes on the multiverse. But I guess that wouldn't be as interesting storywise, would it?
    Well the Dark Multiverse is the “bad end” Multiverse where anything that can go wrong does go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

That’s kind of the appeal to me. Sure Evil Supermen stories have been beaten to death more thoroughly than Superman at the hands of Doomsday, but an evil Lois story? Pretty much unheard of unless you count Superwoman which I don’t.

Well, if you're going to return to the Death of Superman yet again and play with the evil Superman trope...making it a Dark Multiverse Elseworld where Lois gains powers and is the one to go nuts after Clark's death is an interesting twist that'll get me to spend money on it. I'm sold. Hey, DC might still be in love with the Death of Superman story and making an evil Superman, but at least this is a nice unexpected twist on all that. And making it a one shot is good.

I hate to be that guy...but its all overused tropes again. Death of Superman, Dark Multiverse. I'm just tired of both. The idea of what would happen if Superman stayed dead and Lois becomes some sort of super in her own right, that's intriguing, but the irritation of going back to similar wells crops up at the same time. I dunno, I mean, would it make a difference to me if it were a regular alternate Earth instead of the Dark Multiverse? Should it make a difference? They're good questions to ask myself, maybe I need to chew on this some more before automatically being the negative Nancy. But all the same its irksome that its the only multiversal trope DC is interested in using. For example, what if this weren't necessarily dark? What about a story of a world where Superman just plain doesn't come back and Lois inherits power kinda like the end of the New 52? We already have Black Label for more mature content, which in the end more often than not means darker content as well. I just don't see why we need a second format for more dark stuff. Seems like derivative ideas.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But all the same its irksome that its the only multiversal trope DC is interested in using.
    To be fair...

1. It's still new. They've had a multiverse for many years, but this dark multiverse is a shiny new toy, of course they're going to be a little over enthusiastic in using it for a while. Can you really blame them?

2. While the Dark Multiverse is the only multiverse they're getting use out of in universe, it's hardly their only out of normal universe story going on, look at all the Black Label and Kids/Teen stuff coming out (especially the Kids and Teens lines if you want more lighter stories, Superman Smashes the Klan looks like it might wind up a possible classic). If it seems like the Dark Multiverse is the only multiverse you really need to check out more of the out of continuity titles they're pumping out now.