Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    We already have Black Label for more mature content, which in the end more often than not means darker content as well. I just don't see why we need a second format for more dark stuff. Seems like derivative ideas.
    Not really...

1. Black Label may be dealing with darker themes often times true, but the stories themselves don't end out like bad ends. The Dark Multiverse is like the bad end multiverse, there's a difference between dark stories and bad endings. At least, I'm assuming that'll be a possible difference between the two, although I'm unsure of that.

2. Black Label seems to be more about original story ideas, whereas Tales from the Dark Multiverse is more reimagining or retelling classic storylines and taking them in new dark directions. While both may handle darker stories, they do fundamentally deliver different sets of stories - original ideas vs reimaginings and retellings. It's an important distinction to separate the two.

Sorry to quote you twice, but you edited your response so I had more I wanted to respond to.

I could just be focusing too much on the initial general irritants. I mean, I just read the Knightfall solicit and that one sounds really cool. But, then again, Knightfall hasn't been beaten into the ground nearly as much the Death of Superma. But, Maybe I'm poo-pooing on this too much just because of said general irritations that might not prevent a good story.

Furthermore I'm also overlooking another net positive: its a story set in a verse where Jon doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I could just be focusing too much on the initial general irritants. I mean, I just read the Knightfall solicit and that one sounds really cool. But, then again, Knightfall hasn't been beaten into the ground nearly as much the Death of Superma. But, Maybe I'm poo-pooing on this too much just because of said general irritations that might not prevent a good story.

Furthermore I'm also overlooking another net positive: its a story set in a verse where Jon doesn't exist.
    Lmao! Also something else to keep in mind is that the Dark Multiverse so far has just been used for one shots, so at least this story will be a one and done I think. I agree that Death of Superman is overplayed and boring but Jeff Loveness has done great work before on lighter Superman stories. If he does well here it shows he can tell darker Superman stories as well, which might lead to him getting the Superbooks later on down the road.

...damn, all of a sudden I feel a strong need to preorder this book. And I thought the Dark Multiverse was supposed to be the bad version of events.

I'm curious to how Lois will get her powers. I hope it's unconventional. That can really set it apart.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-15-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

To be fair to the Dark Multiverse, it doesn't necessarily mean "horror show." It's a broken universe. In theory, a Dark Multiverse based on Earth 3 could either be infinitely worse, or completely benign. It's broken based on its core conceit-- an evil inversion.

So this really does come down to being a "what if?" series since the only constant is that it has to end differently. It'd be a shame if it's just grimdark murder all the time, but I am excited that DC is willing to do more one-shots based on random stuff. Yeah, they're playing the hits right out the gate, but I can't blame them for teeing up the easy base hit to open.

Good points, good points. You guys have made me realize I was being a little too standoff-ish about it based on principles that while I believe in, don't have to guarantee suckitude.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'm a bit more on the fence, It could be a great story, but a revenge driven Lois strikes me as a variation on the usual twisted Superman trope. If Batman plays any role in the resolution, it'll just push me further out of the DC realm.

And I really wish the Dark Multiverse would just crawl back under the rock it belongs under. After all the talk of bringing DC back to it's glory days they really think focusing on the worst possible outcomes is the right step.

I'd rather see a world where Superman doesn't return after that death, but Lois plays a central role (powered or not) in assembling people to carry on the never ending battle. Or a world where we see Lois raising Jon after Superman's death that wasn't focused on how much everything goes downhill after that battle.
    This how I am. This better not be another Batgod story or I'm out.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Good points, good points. You guys have made me realize I was being a little too standoff-ish about it based on principles that while I believe in, don't have to guarantee suckitude.
    Hey, I'm with you on Death of Superman stories. It seems like WB has no interest in Supermen who don't die a hero or live long enough to see themselves become a villain. I'm so done... But Lois Lane kills the DC Universe? You know what, at least it's short and hopefully these all sell well enough we start getting deeper cuts.

I'm all for a different ending to New Krypton, for example. One that didn't stem from multiple creator shuffles and need to establish a status quo that was different but the same and somehow revitalize the Super books like DC intended.

Has several strikes against it for me, e.g. DoS again, Superman-minus-Superman stories (I grow tired of those as well), etc. But, to be fair, it's non-continuity, and such stories should be allowed to venture out there. So I'm 50/50 on it.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Lois Lane was killed to cause Superman a man-pain way too many times. It's about time she gets her shot.

Here are some script pages from the writer

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    To be fair...

1. It's still new. They've had a multiverse for many years, but this dark multiverse is a shiny new toy, of course they're going to be a little over enthusiastic in using it for a while. Can you really blame them?
    YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    2. While the Dark Multiverse is the only multiverse they're getting use out of in universe, it's hardly their only out of normal universe story going on, look at all the Black Label and Kids/Teen stuff coming out (especially the Kids and Teens lines if you want more lighter stories, Superman Smashes the Klan looks like it might wind up a possible classic). If it seems like the Dark Multiverse is the only multiverse you really need to check out more of the out of continuity titles they're pumping out now.
    For me I just want something a little more uplifting that isn't aimed entirely at kids. Since infinite Crisis they've been promising us to cut back on the girimdark stuff, but launch things like this. I don't object to darker Elseworlds as much as I object to the line being dedicated to just those. A modern take on something like Lois Lane becoming the hero of Krypton or a Justice League whose founders were Supergirl, John Stewart, Jessie Quick, Misterr Miracle, Big Barda, and Hawkman instead of the classic Big 7 could be Elseworlds that were interesting and had heroic conflict without being dark dystopian versions of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Lois Lane was killed to cause Superman a man-pain way too many times. It's about time she gets her shot.

Wow, very nice. I like it so far. Thanks for sharing! Where did you get them from? His Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post

Very intense. It really seems like it willbe an interesting twist to this trope.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory