Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden Age Vision (Aarkus) Appreciation (2019)

First appearance:
    Marvel Mystery Comics #13 (November 1940):

and from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Golden Age (2004):

so what is this character doing now? what is his society like?

"Professor Enoch Mason's "Dimension Smasher" blasted a path into the beyond and through that breach that once separated the material world from the supernatural world stepped "The Vision"

Maybe Doctor Doom should have contacted Enoch Mason, it sounds like he perfected the technique that got a young Victor Von Doom kicked out of college.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

My first introduction to Aarkus was in the 93/94 Invaders mini-series. Love whenever he makes a (rare) appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    My first introduction to Aarkus was in the 93/94 Invaders mini-series. Love whenever he makes a (rare) appearance.
    Whenever it comes to Golden Age Heroes it always feels like Marvel is doing it out of obligation rather than enthusiasm. They need a Geoff John's type, somebody that can shape The Invaders into Marvel's own JSA. Plus a reworked Invaders would be the perfect place for Legacy Heroes. Imagine original Human Torch, Vision, Black Widow and Dynamic Man sharing a roster with a new Laughing Mask, Angel, Phantom Reporter and Miss America fresh off West Coast Avengers cancellation.

But you need a Geoff Johns type and Marvel doesn't have one of those right now.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Whenever it comes to Golden Age Heroes it always feels like Marvel is doing it out of obligation rather than enthusiasm. They need a Geoff John's type, somebody that can shape The Invaders into Marvel's own JSA. Plus a reworked Invaders would be the perfect place for Legacy Heroes. Imagine original Human Torch, Vision, Black Widow and Dynamic Man sharing a roster with a new Laughing Mask, Angel, Phantom Reporter and Miss America fresh off West Coast Avengers cancellation.

But you need a Geoff Johns type and Marvel doesn't have one of those right now.
    You would also need a different name for the group.

Invaders worked for a group of WWII-era heroes who invaded Europe to take on the forces of Hitler, but if you're have a modern-day group with almost none of the original members, what would be the point of calling them "The Invaders"?

"All Winners Squad" sounds a little quaint, and of course, "Invaders" was something of a retconned name starting with the 1970s series.

"Liberators" sounds decent. I don't know if it's already taken.

Is Aarkus the last of his race? Just wondering.

it's ridiculous that the two Visions look and dress alike but have no connection

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's ridiculous that the two Visions look and dress alike but have no connection
    Maybe . . .
    They're cousins,
    Identical cousins all the way.
    One pair of matching bookends,
    Different as night and day.

. . . they're cousins,
    Identical cousins and you'll find,
    They laugh alike, they walk alike,
    At times they even talk alike -

You can lose your mind,
    When cousins are two of a kind!

Or, maybe not.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'm stunned and amazed, but it appears that the Contest of Champions game will be adding Golden Age Vision and Golden Age Black Widow to their game.

https://twitter.com/MarvelChampions/...99778529304578

Last edited by Reviresco; 09-09-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    Interesting adds to the game.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

As much as I like this character, I suspect his motivations will always be shady because of recent interpretations.

kind of a shame that Arrkus wasn't Horton's creation instead of Hammond. it would make more sense, in hindsight.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what is this character doing now? what is his society like?
    He doesn't make modern appearances too often, though he did appear in comics such as Avengers/Invaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    As much as I like this character, I suspect his motivations will always be shady because of recent interpretations.
    ...that the majority of fans aren't aware of so it's safe to just ignore.