Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Heh...that's EXACTLY what was done with him post-Messiah Complex. He had a vision that was more aggressive and realistic than Xavier, but more pacifistic than Magneto's and without his supremacist elements. Then came Aaron and a change of editors in the X-office, who decided they wanted things to go back to status quo of Xavier vs Magneto, but putting Cyclops in the Magneto role, of being the VILLAIN and WRONG.
    If he had an X on his uniform then it wasn't far enough removed from all the baggage. I'm willing to let him go because I think that's what's best for his character. It doesn't have to be permanent. Just long enough for Scott to trail blaze a destiny of his own. He's never had that.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Emma should have a black ops spionage team. that fits more her than superheroics
    I dunno. I feel like she'd be good with the espionage thing, but that she also enjoys the spotlight way too much to simply just stay there.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I dunno. I feel like she'd be good with the espionage thing, but that she also enjoys the spotlight way too much to simply just stay there.
    The character already had the spotlight. she for many comanded a secondary school

Mighty Member

What to do with a problem like... Emma Frost.

Let's be honest, Emma Frost hasn't exactly been well written since Bendis left the X-Books. Yes, you read that right: Bendis. The few times that she's been written well have been in guest appearances by writers of other titles or one-off appearances by writers that were able to partially establish new status quos for her, but then lose access to the character overall... and as a result, Emma Frost as a character has been very confused. Who is Emma Frost these days? Is she a hero? Is she a villain? Somewhere in between? Honestly, I don't think that anyone knows. So, to start... I would define Emma's morality, and make her what is effectively an anti-hero.

I would also have her operate her own X-Men. Nothing affiliated with Scott, Logan, Jean, or Ororo - she would be the rival team, but still a team of heroes, still a team of X-Men, and one that is ultimately recognized by her so-called competition. Her team would be the one that would be willing to do whatever it takes in order to help mutantkind, and establish their foothold in the world as heroes. Ultimately, they're still doing good, and they still have a public face, but they'd be the ones that get down to the nitty gritty more than the typical X-Men do. And, like I said, Emma would be in charge as a proactive leader, the funder, and etc. And it would all be based out of Frost House in Snow Valley.

And importantly, she wouldn't be crazy. She'd be the Emma that we all know and love and that we got up until she went insane during Death Of X. She'd be stable and she would be powerful, and competent in more ways than one.
    If Emma is not affiliated with the X-men then can she go around calling some adhoc team she forms the "X-men"? She has no claim to the name and any team she creates will not be considered real/true X-men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    If he had an X on his uniform then it wasn't far enough removed from all the baggage. I'm willing to let him go because I think that's what's best for his character. It doesn't have to be permanent. Just long enough for Scott to trail blaze a destiny of his own. He's never had that.
    Scott already went above superheroics with the revolution phase. But Marvel is a corporation and the word revolution is synonymous with communism, so it should be painted badly. The most Scott will get is to fight for the equivalent of brands putting mutant-friendly stamps on their products, should he try to go outside of the spandex zone.

This is a good idea for a thread, by the way, Harpsikord. I guess I don't have as much opportunity to say this, but I always appreciate the insight you bring to discussions in this place. Even though I'm sure I might have been impolite to you in the past and, for that, I apologize. I'll elaborate on the main topic later.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Telepathy and Phoenix: they have to stop being used all the time as bad excuses for plots. Most of the major X-Men should have already developed telepathic defenses of a gigantic magnitude. You can not justify any nonsense with "A telepath / Phoenix forced me to do it".
    This is what I was gonna say. I'm also tired of the "you were thinking too loudly" line used to excuse reading others' minds without permission. What, are you a novice that you can't tune out thoughts? SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    If Emma is not affiliated with the X-men then can she go around calling some adhoc team she forms the "X-men"? She has no claim to the name and any team she creates will not be considered real/true X-men.
    I specified that the other X-Men recognize her team as a team of X-Men, but that they're separate. Like Logan and Scott's teams during Schism.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    The character already had the spotlight. she for many comanded a secondary school
    Exactly tho. It's entirely in her character to want to be visible.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    A solo won't sell. I'd simply use her away from Magneto and Havok in a team book.
    1) It would, if Marvel gave it a fair shot with actual promotion.
    2) Even if it didn't, it wouldn't fare any worse than plenty of other solos/minis Marvel had no problem making for other characters (Pixie, Lockjaw, Shatterstar, etc).

Breaking out through season 1 of Gifted gives her more of an install base than many characters Marvel's had no problem with giving books. Belief that she wouldn't sell a solo is false. It comes from seeing the way Marvel treats her and taking their word for it that she somehow isn't viable, when in reality people at Marvel don't care enough to interrogate and test their own assumptions in any real way.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    <sigh> I always forget poor Lorna. Lorna and Rachel are tied for being badly written and easily discarded at the drop of a pin.

I would like Lorna to stay with Magneto on a book for a while. I liked in Blue when Magneto wanted Lorna to be his conscience. I also liked that he wanted her close too because she was his family. I would like to see that happen again.

Lorna shouldn't exist to prop up anyone, she needs to have a chance to shine and I think keeping her partnered with Magneto would actually be a good change for both characters.
    I'd like to see Polaris and Magneto on a team was well. There is still a lot left to explore between Lorna and her father, and I'd like to see it done when they aren't the supporting characters to the O5. Blue didn't really dig deep enough with either one of them, even if I did enjoy what we got. Them co-leading an x-squad would be cool.

I'd still love to see Polaris taking over the X-Men: Legacy title with her own team of X-Men, and try to be more involved with what's going on with Mutants as opposed to something more niche like X-Factor.

What to do with a problem like... Emma Frost.
    There was a small time period between Austen and Whedon where Emma and Scott weren't leading a team of costumed X-Men, but led the school and coordinated the various X-Men squads. It reminded me of best years of Wildstorm's Stormwatch series, which seemed to juggle several strong personalities, teams, and locations all in one book. I'd love to go back to a system where she's a small presence in all the books rather than a big presence in only one.

I would also have her operate her own X-Men.
    I hadn't considered this. I HAD considered making Emma the Bosley to Psylocke's Charlie's Angel. Like how Frasier's best foil was a heightened version of himself (his brother Niles) the contrast between similarly privileged telepaths would be interesting and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    There was a small time period between Austen and Whedon where Emma and Scott weren't leading a team of costumed X-Men, but led the school and coordinated the various X-Men squads. It reminded me of best years of Wildstorm's Stormwatch series, which seemed to juggle several strong personalities, teams, and locations all in one book. I'd love to go back to a system where she's a small presence in all the books rather than a big presence in only one.
    Which brings a further thought: Emma Frost as the new Charles Xavier-esque figurehead, overseeing all Institute operations.

Which brings a further thought: Emma Frost as the new Charles Xavier-esque figurehead, overseeing all Institute operations.
    This is treading pretty close to my MCU X-Men pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Scott already went above superheroics with the revolution phase. But Marvel is a corporation and the word revolution is synonymous with communism, so it should be painted badly. The most Scott will get is to fight for the equivalent of brands putting mutant-friendly stamps on their products, should he try to go outside of the spandex zone.
    I have no illusions that this is at all realistic which I think matches the themes of the thread. As for his revolution, I'd say more outside of the spandex than beyond it. That's not at all what I had in mind. He was still Xavier's boy. He was just playing at a different angle. That's not Scott doing Scott. More like rebelling than anything. And of course one must rebel against something which means it was never really his to begin with.

I'd like to see him carve out his own little corner of the world to look out for. He'll always be a protector, but there's simply too much history with the X-Men at the moment to let Scott pivot within that structure. Not enough people are willing to give him a chance. That's why the Champions takes felt so good when Scott was being lambasted from all sides by his fellow X-Men. The guy needs a break. A long one.

Harp:

Who would you recruit for Emma’s X-Men? X-Memma? X-Men White?

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Maria? Have her leave the convent to become a governess to a German musical family.