What to do with a problem like: Beast. I picked this one because my kneejerk reaction for the last few years is to just kill him off, and I wanted to challenge myself to come up with a way for him to really be salvaged. IMHO he's too far gone at this point to turn around on his own or "be the hero" in one action and be accepted and have his many recent past mistakes forgiven. Why he even was allowed be anywhere in Dissassembled is beyond me. But I digress....the point is to try and fix him.

First Step: Exile. He's got to go. He's too morally compromised with playing god, albeit humbly, that for a time he can no longer be associated with the X-Men. And the Avengers feel the same, and will not accept him either. Both teams, for the most part, cut off contact with him - I could see Wonder Man, Iceman and Angel still remaining friends with him.

Second Step: Now that he's on his own he's free to continue his projects at his own pace, with good intent, but without the resources or help that the X-Men or Avengers would be able to offer. Though his name alone may buy him some clout with civilians, it won't be as much as if he were a member of either team.

Third Step: For a few years (our time, but at least a year or two of Marvel time)he would continuine his projects through monies earned based on his fame as a scientist, sometimes failing in those projects and sometimes not. He would eventually come to realize that despite any project successes it's empty if the very people he considered friends and teammates are not supporting him. So he, for the most part, abandons the projects and attempts to reconnect with the X-Men, showing them that he's changed. For the most part, they are suspect and deny to repeal his exile. There would be some few who would be supportive and associate with him outside of X-Men oriented situations.

Fourth Step: Rebuked by his friends and having given up on many of his projects, he could choose to go down an even darker path or seek higher moral ground. Since this is a story of redemption he chooses the later - his name and degree get him a teaching job at a human-based university. While there he struggles at times to want to be more than "just" a teacher (there's a point to that being in quotes). At times he considers being a street level crime fighter like Spider-Man, the only problem is that the most obvious place to start is the university and the city/town it's in. He starts out on this path, scaring off muggers or thieves, but when one incident almost pushes him to far against the criminal, he realizes that the common criminal already has plenty of heroes whose job it is to be the crimefighters. That becoming violent against a criminal, with his mutant strength, would only serve to push him over and edge he could not walk back from. So he realizes that teachers are also heroes - not "just" heroes. And finally accepts his place as a teacher. This step would take another (1-2 Marvel Universe years, preferably 2 years at least).

Fifth Step: After a time, some of the X-Men and Avengers take note of how he is doing and eventually become more friendly with him. As time goes on they come to see he has truly redeemed himself and invite him back to the teams, as a teacher and superhero first and second most, and as their resident medical expert and scientist, but with a warning that there will be more limits he cannot exceed again, and they will be watching. And he chooses to go back to the X-Men, his true family. Not an entirely happy ending, but I think so much damage has been done to the character that you can't have a 100% happy ending here. Also despite that this could take a good 100-150 issues of a series, the lines he has crossed in the last 10 years require time to fix (or mostly fix)