Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default What to do With a Problem Like...

... [insert character or concept here].

Inspired by a thread that I made back in December, What to Do With a Problem Like Rachel, the concept of this thread is simple - take something that you believe needs to be fixed, whether that's a team or a character or anything to do with the X-Franchise, and explain what you would do to help bring them into or back into glory. This isn't a thread to bash other users' ideas so much as to discuss what you'd do, and to discuss what members would do politely. I'm not going to go into an entire tirade but be polite, be creative, and don't be afraid to be new and different - we are, after all, entering the Hickman era... where he's doing the exact same thing that I want us to do here!

I have a few ideas, but I'm about to have to leave for work so I'll supply them more properly later. For now - what have you got, X-Boards?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Mighty Member

The concept of the X-Men being teachers could use a lot of work and the mansion being a school. Grant Morrison, piggybacking off of the X-Men Trilogy, decided to make the X-Men teachers at the institute.

Unfortunately, we have some problems. The X-Men are woefully inept at teaching (Iceman on Algebra? Rachel on telepathic defenses? WTF?), and the school blows up every other week to the point I'm sure management loots the life insurance of the students to rebuild it all.

Let's not forget how we have never really recovered from M-Day. I liked the concept of the X-Men Training Squads and how the school would have mutant field days. Now, the students are wallpaper or cannon fodder. We never actually feel like it's a school. It's sad when X-Men Evolution did the school concept better with a more limited cast.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Wolverine Needs to be dialed back A LOT He'd have his solo and ONE team book, which will not be his book in disguise. Then he will only have 1 or 2 issue guest appearances in other books IF HE MUST be in them. Secondly his wild seed will be kept under control. NO MORE Kids introduced into his story, and finding a way to get rid of the ones we now have -aside from X-23. His healing factor needs to decrease considerably. Take it back to healing from minor wounds, maybe even some bigger. Bot no regrowing from a single cell or healing in 2 sec.

Monet Keeping her black would be good enough. Also keeping her flaws in check. Imo, PAD exaggerated her negative traits to the point she seemed like a parody sometimes. Making her snobby & bitchy, but keep enough vulnerability about her like GenX rather than going too far & making her hateful Thankfully, imo, only PAD has taken it that far. But it's something i'd monitor.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Daken, change his backstory, so that the sin against nature known as Wolverine Origins is no longer in continuity.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Emma Frost - they should explore how much she loves teaching and have her be in charge of the school itself. Emma is a better headmistress than Charles, and she knows more about actual education than anyone on the X-Men. She should be headmistress of a school. I don't care if she still dabbles in other things, just have her running the school.

Jean Grey - she needs to stay as a team leader, no being in Charles, Logan, and Scott's shadow. Jean is a better leader than Scott and Logan hands down and she should be in charge of one of the teams.

Storm - same as Jean, better leader than Charles, Scott, and Logan, she should be running a team.

Rachel - let her have an actual documented relationship with her parents Jean and Scott. Team her up with Cable in an ongoing so the brother/sister relationship can be explored for a while.

Kitty - keep her away from Colossus and have her do something different. Send her back to space, put her in Shield, put her on the Avengers. Kitty needs a change again.

Illyana - free her from the X-books for a while and have her move into Dr Strange's book. She should be his designated apprentice and she should take over whenever he is incapacitated. It's time for Illyana to be groomed to be Sorceress Supreme!

Scott - he could actually use a solo comic for a 5 issue mini or something. Have him get on a motor bike and go on a self-discovery journey and then come back to the teams refreshed. The editors and writers keep taking him different directions because they don't like how he was under the previous writer. Instead of just spending 10 issues of a comic blaming him for everything, have him regroup and rebuild and move forward. They do this exact kind of thing with Logan all the time, he goes on a journey to figure himself out, it's Scott's turn to do the same thing for once.

Dani - seriously I liked Jane Foster's Thor run, but Dani had every right to be Valkyrie or to at least be co-lead in the new book. She should be deeply involved in that story.

Celeste, Irma, and Phoebe - need something to do. I loved exploring their relationship in Amazing Nightcrawler. Heck if they establish Excalibur again, Kitty should take the 3 of them to England and they can be the telepaths on Excalibur. I like the relationship they have with Kurt from Amazing Nightcrawler and I would love to see that continue by being on the same team as Kurt.

Kurt needs to be back on Excalibur. He loves being a swashbuckler type character and he shines as a character when he can have fun. Plus we would get to have the ongoing drama with Brian, Meggan, and Kurt again just so we can have another relationship triad for people to fight in the forums over.

TP/TK = Learn how to write interesting conflicts
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Make omega-level mean something again. It's been devalued so much that I'm sure someone is going to unironically declare someone as an omega-level emo teen as a superpower any week now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The concept of the X-Men being teachers could use a lot of work and the mansion being a school. Grant Morrison, piggybacking off of the X-Men Trilogy, decided to make the X-Men teachers at the institute.

Unfortunately, we have some problems. The X-Men are woefully inept at teaching (Iceman on Algebra? Rachel on telepathic defenses? WTF?), and the school blows up every other week to the point I'm sure management loots the life insurance of the students to rebuild it all.

Let's not forget how we have never really recovered from M-Day. I liked the concept of the X-Men Training Squads and how the school would have mutant field days. Now, the students are wallpaper or cannon fodder. We never actually feel like it's a school. It's sad when X-Men Evolution did the school concept better with a more limited cast.
    I am rereading X-Factor from the beginning right now, and it just has such a drastically different idea of teaching. Partly because they were conservative with regards to creating a bunch of new characters, but also because the terms mutant and X-Men were not practically synonymous as they are now. They were training mutants to save them, to allow them to return to society.

I think mutants needed to exist outside of the X-Men, outside of the school. More facilities should have been opening up, offering to train mutants. There was not anything Xavier, even with his danger room, was doing that other groups couldn't handle. Keep the cast of the X-school small, and minimize these issues such as who can actually teach them school subjects.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Daken, change his backstory, so that the sin against nature known as Wolverine Origins is no longer in continuity.
    You could keep it the same just cut out romulus, and add the hand or (inserd ninja cult that Logan fought)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am rereading X-Factor from the beginning right now, and it just has such a drastically different idea of teaching. Partly because they were conservative with regards to creating a bunch of new characters, but also because the terms mutant and X-Men were not practically synonymous as they are now. They were training mutants to save them, to allow them to return to society.

I think mutants needed to exist outside of the X-Men, outside of the school. More facilities should have been opening up, offering to train mutants. There was not anything Xavier, even with his danger room, was doing that other groups couldn't handle. Keep the cast of the X-school small, and minimize these issues such as who can actually teach them school subjects.
    The 2017 Xavier Institute was split into three different courses (future X-Men, future members of society and trash) but it was never expounded upon outside of interviews and Gen X wasted all its panel time on the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The 2017 Xavier Institute was split into three different courses (future X-Men, future members of society and trash) but it was never expounded upon outside of interviews and Gen X wasted all its panel time on the trash.
    wait what that sounds cool

marc googy pls
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

<sigh> I always forget poor Lorna. Lorna and Rachel are tied for being badly written and easily discarded at the drop of a pin.

I would like Lorna to stay with Magneto on a book for a while. I liked in Blue when Magneto wanted Lorna to be his conscience. I also liked that he wanted her close too because she was his family. I would like to see that happen again.

Lorna shouldn't exist to prop up anyone, she needs to have a chance to shine and I think keeping her partnered with Magneto would actually be a good change for both characters.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

For, like, 80% of the X-men, the answer is pretty simple: tell writers and editors that they should STOP TRYING MAKE THE CHARACTERS LIKE THEY WERE WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP. Emma Frost is not a villain, Cyclops is not a boyscout who's madly in love with Jean, Kitty and Colossus are not in love, Magneto is not a mustache-twirling evil bastard, Sunspot is not merely the funny guy of the NM (RIP), etc.

The main problem with the X-line is that every time a writer pushes the X-men or some characters into an exciting new direction, the next one comes wanting (or being forced by editors) to take everything back to how it was when he was growing up.

For Xavier- no more retcons or mind-wiping of X-men and allies. Alternatively, if they can't stop this, just make him into a full blown villain and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Wolverine Needs to be dialed back A LOT He'd have his solo and ONE team book, which will not be his book in disguise. Then he will only have 1 or 2 issue guest appearances in other books IF HE MUST be in them. Secondly his wild seed will be kept under control. NO MORE Kids introduced into his story, and finding a way to get rid of the ones we now have -aside from X-23. His healing factor needs to decrease considerably. Take it back to healing from minor wounds, maybe even some bigger. Bot no regrowing from a single cell or healing in 2 sec.
    Yep. Hell, he's the one character that could benefit from being made more like in the past.

BANNED

Healing factors need to be nerfed across the board. WAY too many characters lose almost all narrative tension when you know they'll just heal from any injury you throw at them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    wait what that sounds cool

marc googy pls
    From the Gen X announcement interview:

For years, the Xavier Institute has been a sort of safe haven for young mutants. Society rejects them, they go to the Institute, and then they're taught how to control their powers, usually in hopes of eventually becoming X-Men. But it's dangerous. People die -- sometimes by the busload. So when we take a second to be honest about it, maybe not all mutants are cut out to be X-Men? They're not all going to be Cyclops, or Storm, or Jean Grey. And some young mutants have powers that just don't make sense in a battle situation (I'm lookin' at you, Cypher). So, in the interest of keeping more of their young alive, the Institute's thinking it's time for a restructure.

Now in Central Park, the rechristened Xavier Institute has taken this move as an opportunity to re-evaluate their students, internally dividing the student body into three classes: The Next Generation of X-Men, the Next Generation of Ambassadors, and the Next Generation of... well, lovable losers. These are our Gen Xers. And they include mutants with benign powers, mutants who are considered liabilities during missions and/or battles, and mutants with personalities ill-fitting of an ambassador. They're basically all mutants who just don't seem to fit in anywhere -- including the very school where they were promised they would fit in.