Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Alright people. What to do with problems like Rosencanny and Age of X-Man?
    Honestly nothing the are leads in to Hickman they are meant to be temporary. I hate to call them filler but they are kinda filler. If you are trying to fix them.Age of X-man should have been one book with all the same stories happening it, Maybe the Disassemble format or like Age of X. Probably Uncanny need less deaths in general but if we are being honest. They just need to stick with X-men Red, Blue and Gold until Hickman books were ready to be released. I would have rather seen what Bunn would have done without the 05 around and X-men Red next arc than what we where given.

Age of X-Man doesn't really present a problem. It was pretty self-contained, and whether writers down the line want to touch on the after-effects on individual characters is something that can be explored or handwaved with relatively little consequence, especially with more seasoned X-Men who've been through various levels of mind-fuckery before and might well shrug the whole thing off. X-Man's whereabouts are really the only lingering thread.

Rosenberg's UXM... whoo boy. Wait for Hickman? But assuming this is a thought exercise where it's just a switch in writers and a line-wide reshuffle isn't known to be coming?

First, try to make some lemonade. Magik lost her humanity. That's a hell of a quest set-up right there, and a good ongoing B-plot for some characters. Send Kitty, Colossus, Dani, Cypher and Pixie to Limbo to get her back. Maybe they come back with a different Snowflake than the one they went looking for.

A-Plot is the X-Men rebuilding. Bloody but unbowed, etc. They take the school out of Central Park and back to Westchester, home sweet home. Jean and Scott remap their relationship. Emma bows out to pursue her own agenda, but remains an ally. Magneto sees that things are worse than ever for mutants and does the same. Some of the hearts-and-minds themes from X-Men: Red pop up again, but the general thrust is using Cerebro to get the drop on forming anti-mutant threats before they hit critical mass. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a PR nightmare re: aggressive mutants, but they roll with it as it comes.

C-Plot: While the school mourns their fallen, Wolverine takes Elixir out on resurrection runs, trading the lives of ONE agents and other scum for those of fallen X-Men. Meditations on life, death, morality, fairness, blah, blah, blah. They eventually return to the school with their risen friends and the moral quandary hits the fan.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Don't do them. Continue the previous books- put Wolverine in Gold or whatever, Scott leading a team in Blue, continue Red, and you're set.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Not do them and let the ResurrXion titles run longer with a temp relaunch.

• Weapon X = Bunn on writing. Jeanty or Lolli on pencils. Makes for a grittier story where characters don't act like sitcom millennials.
    • X-Men Blue -Pak on writing. Lashley on art. I don't care for any involved, so that gets artist, cast, and writer I don't like in one spot. lol
    • Red -continue as is
    • Gold -Brisson on writing. Gotta be better than Guggenheim. Could probably use Cinar on art. Put OG Logan on that team for his return.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-18-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Uncanny X-Men 11-22 has been the shot in the arm the franchise needed.

Age of X-Man only had one problem really, it should have been one book. Otherwise, the story itself was no worse than any other X-book since Bendis.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Age of X-Man should've just been an Elsword like tale.

Uncanny X-Men should've been single issue stories or small two parters from #11 - 22 of self-contained stories instead of this long ass directional-less, kill happy mess.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    First, try to make some lemonade. Magik lost her humanity. That's a hell of a quest set-up right there, and a good ongoing B-plot for some characters. Send Kitty, Colossus, Dani, Cypher and Pixie to Limbo to get her back. Maybe they come back with a different Snowflake than the one they went looking for.
    I enjoyed it the first time when it was called "the Quest for Magik" and "X-Infernus". Doing again is poor story-telling IMO, and I don't think many would care to read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Age of X-Man should've just been an Elsword like tale.
    Wasn't it, though?
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    Wasn't it, though?
    No because it ties into the main universe. That's not how Elsworld stories work.
    "Cable was right!"

Ugh, I haven't really been paying attention to reality. Been reading old trades and thinking about revisionist histories.

I DID think about who I'd put in Emma's X-Men!

telepath
    Emma Frost The White Queen.
    Bored senseless with the extremes of X-Men strike-teams either focusing on go-nowhere humanitarian efforts, goose chasing globetrotting adventures, or grisly messy kill squads, Emma's unique perspective decides to strap into a Cerebro unit and cash in on some of her "projects" back in New York City.

telepath
    Celeste, Pheobe, Imogen The Stepford Cuckoos. (yes I changed Irma/Mindee goddammit)
    Proteges and powerful, the three-in-one take a year "abroad" to study at the prestigious prep schools of New York City. One attends the Future Foundation Academy, one goes to a Hellfire-affiliated Fisk international business academy, and the last enrolls at a local high school. Apart but never distant on the astral plane, Miss Frost and her set investigate mutant exploitation and super-heroic solutions.

elemental
    Robert Drake Iceman.
    Bobby is her CFO at Frost Enterprises, running its North American interests while Emma is teaching at one of the X-Institutes. He's been asked to take over guardianship of the Cuckoos despite their protests they don't need parenting, in addition to managing the mental and physical health of Emma's brother Christian. All five live together in one of Emma's penthouse apartments in the Upper East Side.

teleportation
    [real name unknown] Shade/Darkveil/[new codename required].
    A runaway mutant with little understanding of his mutant powers when he arrived in New York City years ago, [name] befriended Emma when he briefly dated her brother Christian. When Christian was sent to an asylum, [name] became Emma's stylist. While Emma spent time in super-heroic circles, [name] used his theatricality to create the cynical drag persona of Shade, mutant "heroine" of Manhattan.

tank
    Piotr Rasputin Colossus.
    Staunch X-Man and optimistic boyscout, Peter has always sought to deal with his feelings of anger and loneliness through artistic media and creative meditations. Emma suggested he take some time away from the X-Men to pursue his skills and interests in the bohemian neighborhoods of Brooklyn, where she has some clout in the gallery community. His repayment is provided by leading her NYC X-Men squad, and interfacing with the other superheroes on the island.

caster
    Dominikos Petrakis Avalanche.
    Ex-Brotherhood and ex-con, with a sordid past as secret as his ability to fake his own deaths, "Nick" hides from the law in plain sight, running a gay bar in Mutant Town, NYC. Close friend of performer Shade/Darkveil, Nick is enlisted to complement Emma's team. Older, wiser, scarred and suspicious, Nick distrusts Colossus' leadership despite trusting his intentions. Capable of vibratory control with precision and predictability, Iceman is surprised Avalanche is as well-trained in the use of his powers as long-time students of Xavier.

melee
    Miranda Leevald [new codename required].
    Avalanche recognized depowered Stacy X walking the streets of Mutant Town. He took her in, gave her a job, and witnessed her powers explosively returning. Molting her skin to reveal all-new red scales beneath, Stacy's mutation came with secondary expressions: In addition to pheromone control, enhanced physicality, she can merge and significantly boost others' mutant powers. StacyXShade can teleport around the globe, StacyXAvalanche can vibrate molecules, StacyXColossus can transform into other metals. Stacy loves the thrill and being the center of Colossus' attention.

guy in the chair
    James Bradley The Doctor Nemesis.
    Doctor, scientist, and Dark Beast minus darkness, Nemesis operates out of Frost Enterprises with his eyes on the surveillance computers and sensory readouts from the field agents' uniforms. Acts as coordinator, physician, and worst-case-scenario strategist for the field agents and Cuckoos. Droll and ultimately unlikable, Nemesis is Darkveil's favorite person and is the father figure the Cuckoos never knew they wanted.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 07-18-2019 at 12:52 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I was just reading another thread and I realized that there's a pretty big character that it would be a really good idea to approach this concept for: Storm. So, what would I do with a problem like Ororo?

Well, I just read a member saying that if only one writer is able to write a character correctly then the problem is less with other writers and more with the character itself and I don't think that's the case with Storm. I do agree that over the past decade and a half or so since Claremont hasn't been an ongoing part of the X-Men books that there has been something lost with Storm among certain writers, but others have written her correctly to varying different degrees of what one might consider 'correct.' For a popular instance Ta-Nehisi Coates has written what some might consider to be the best Storm since Claremont, embracing her 'godly' side and such as that. Sam Humphries was the only writer to really emphasize the new mohawk era and still showed Storm as a competent leader of X-Force. Brian Wood and Tom Taylor for all their faults wrote her as competent, graceful, powerful, and in charge to some degree. With that said, though there have been countless Guggenheim's and Fraction's and Bendis's: the problem is neither the character or the writer. It's the fans having expectations as to who Storm should be and how she should act entirely based on how she acted twenty some, thirty some years ago. That's completely fair! Every has attachment to their characters and have a mind as to how they should be written! But...

Characters have to grow with the times, and that includes Storm. I think that even Christopher Claremont was aware of that fact even only six, seven years after her initial appearance: Storm, as she is, is a character that is hard to modernize. She was created as a cliche, and a bad one at that, with an origin that didn't really measure up to what it should have been in 1974, let alone in 2019. But that's fine, this is comic books, the origin doesn't need to be changed per se, but the character should be changed and modernized for the times. Storm has been a lot of things. A goddess, a thief, a leader, a queen, a goddess again - and she should be all of these things in a figurative and metaphorical sense, but she doesn't need to be, well, untouchable. That's the problem with Storm these days. She presents as having this air of condescension about her and being on another level, unapproachable, and... I'll be honest, as a result she comes across as hard to write. Storm is the easiest to write when she's down to earth, fallable, flawed. Storm should be flawed. There's a reason that her most iconic era is the 80s Mohawk era where she didn't have any powers, despite being the leader of the X-Men. She could and did make mistakes. She should make mistakes, she shouldn't be all powerful.

She can still see herself as a goddess. She was still a queen. But she was also a pickpocket on the streets of Cairo and the powerless leader that drove the X-Men to new heights, the one that battled Callisto hand to hand and won, the one that tore Marrow's heart out of her chest while it was still beating. And also, she should be a leader. She should be a GOOD leader. No more instances like the T-Mists bringing down her leadership and causing her to hallucinate Charles Xavier or her bowing to Kitty and begging her to lead like she did during the Resurrxion era all because of things that happened that were out of her control. Storm is the second most tenured leader in the X-Men, and she should be among the most respected as well as that. I've always thought that the X-Men should have a varied group among their leadership, and Storm should be central to that, right alongside Scott, Jean, Rogue, and even Kitty - but having Storm as a leader is central to bringing her back to prominence. She was at her best when she led the X-Men and there is no reason that she still couldn't be at her best.

And while we're at it, we need to celebrate Storm's connections outside of the X-Men. She's the former queen of Wakanda and their chosen goddess, she was an Avenger, she was a member of the Fantastic Four, and she is so many other things. The X-Men are such an insular franchise and having a character like Ororo that has ties to the rest of the MU would be useful.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Well, now that i had think a bit more about what happened to Wolverine since the turn of the century, there is a couple of things that i would throw away.

First Wolverine Origins, originally i did like the story, being also one of the first comics than i read, but now i can see that as Logan's definitive secret origin, is a bit lame for how on the nose it is about some things.

Second, i would retcon Logan's amnesia plot as a very elaborated scheme on Apocalypse part, in a way to turn in back to his roots, most people don't know this, but Wolverine having problems remembering his past is actually more recent that people think, in no point of Claremont run is ever implied that he doesn't remember it, in fact according to a recent interview with Claremont, Logan did knew his origin and where he came from, he just didn't though that it was important to talk about it and although i did enjoy some of the stories that came out of it, it also lead to the worst Wolverine ongoing ever written, so in order to give his lost appeal back, i would retcon then.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona