Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default New METAL MEN maxi-serie (12 issue) launch in October

New 12-issue Metal Men series written by Dan Didio & Shane Davis.

Synopsis
    With nods to early DC Showcase stories, where the Metal Men first appeared, and DC’s long history of science fiction storytelling, the Metal Men discover a warehouse of old robots, older versions of themselves, that are junked and apparently left in disrepair by their creator rather than being rebuilt after their heroic battles. Meanwhile, a mysterious liquid Nth metal has appeared in the science site at Challenger Mountain…the same Challenger Mountain that came through from the Dark Multiverse and landed in Gotham at the end of DARK KNIGHTS: METAL and was the focal point of the DC New Age of Heroes miniseries NEW CHALLENGERS.
    From the Press release :
    Didio revealed the concept:

I’m a longtime fan of the Metal Men and had a chance to write them briefly in the anthology, Wednesday Comics, several years ago. With this new series, we explore the essence of what makes the Metal Men human, by having them caught between Doc Magnus, the man who created them, and, the newly introduced, The Nth Metal Man, the being that gave them life. What I’m enjoying most about this book is the chance to stay true to all existing stories, while building out their mythology in exciting new directions.

With Davis adding:

I introduced Superman to a new generation in Superman: Earth One and heard from fans that they truly cared about our perspectives on Clark Kent and Superman. Dan and I have a goal on this new Metal Men series to give everyone a quality, entertaining story riffing off modern sci-fi narratives in a way that can only be done at DC. Hopefully fans will like our take on artificial life and find the unexpected humanity in these robots.
    Covers

Spectacular Member

Looks like Magnus is returning to his pre New 52 look.

I've always liked the Metal Men so it's great they're getting a maxi series.

I think the Metal Men were actually one of, if not my first exposures to comics. When I was grade school, my science teacher Mr. Harmon used them for a class project. He brought in an issue of the comic and had it passed around the class. Then we were all assigned one of the characters and had to make a poster about that element, list science facts and whatnot. I remember I had to do mine on Mercury. His design stuck out to me because I liked how they used the whole liquid at room temperature in the comic. Plus I liked that he had villainous vibe to him compared to the other elements. Anyway I forgot about that until years later they showed up in Forever Evil and it all came back to me.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I just hope they bring back Copper.

I love the Metal Men, so always happy to see more of them .

Didio apparently did well with an OMAC revamp so I'm cautiously optimistic about him handling the Metal Men.

(Also, DC seems to be liking the 12-maxi series revivals of classic properties).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

As critical as I am regarding Didio, he seems to be the only person at DC who cares about the Metal Men and that means I literally can't completely hate the guy.

As long as Doc doesn't turn into a Metal Man himself or the titular team don't become human again, I'm going to give this a shot. I liked his work on them in Wednesday Comics, but you have to try hard to ruin something JLGL drew.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Wow, I've only just noticed this. Great news.

The Metal Man are DC Comics at their most fabulously quirky and I'll be definitely checking this out. Will Magnus looks like he's been aged up again and the pipes back.

I used to like them when I was a kid, but I haven't been able to get into them since - they almost always just come across to me as "personality types" without any real depth and Platinum crushing on Magnus was just kinda creepy. Or maybe I've just not read the right comics. I might give them a shot this time - I'm glad they've dialed back some of those "modern" designs the team had awhile ago.

He sees the topic. He does a double-take. "Is this a joke?" He thinks to himself. He clicks. Not a joke. DC is investing in the very specific characters he wants in the format he wants. "Is this a dream?" He wonders, prepared to begin keystrokes. Then he sees it. DiDio. No Kenneth Rocafort. He has been brought back to Earth.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love the Metal Men, so always happy to see more of them .

Didio apparently did well with an OMAC revamp so I'm cautiously optimistic about him handling the Metal Men.

(Also, DC seems to be liking the 12-maxi series revivals of classic properties).
    I think maxi-series are a good idea. Metal Men is never going to be a series that reaches 100+ issues. Some things work better in small doses. I kinda lost interest, though, in Didio's previous work on Metal Men in Wednesday Comics. I read a little of his OMAC -- and it wasn't bad, so hoping he's up to the task.

Well, can't say i'm all that thrilled about Didio being one of the two writers but at least he seems to be genuinely enthusiastic about the project.

Surprise us Danny!! In a good way please.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I just hope they bring back Copper.
    I do too. 10 characters.

Mighty Member

Maybe when Platinum finds the "older" version of herself, she'll realize that platinum should be a silver-white color.

Didio's Metl Men on Wednesday comics was pretty good if I remember correctly so I will give this a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As critical as I am regarding Didio, he seems to be the only person at DC who cares about the Metal Men and that means I literally can't completely hate the guy.
    Johns cared enough to bring them back during Forever Evil (unless Didio asked for them back) but nobody really did much else with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    The Metal Man are DC Comics at their most fabulously quirky and I'll be definitely checking this out. Will Magnus looks like he's been aged up again and the pipes back.
    Doc Magnus definitely looks like he's back to looking like himself .
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    He sees the topic. He does a double-take. "Is this a joke?" He thinks to himself. He clicks. Not a joke. DC is investing in the very specific characters he wants in the format he wants. "Is this a dream?" He wonders, prepared to begin keystrokes. Then he sees it. DiDio. No Kenneth Rocafort. He has been brought back to Earth.

Rocafort would just do some weird Metal Men redesigns so I'm not really bummed he's not on this .