Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favored Supergirl/Argo City set up?

I know post-COIE, she had different versions, but I wanted to stick to the basics of Kara, Superman's cousin from his own universe.

Originally, of course, she was younger, and born after the destruction of Krypton. Later version had her Clark's older cousin who was in stasis a while. Her parents were presumably dead, only then not. Got evil mom or dad in late post-COIE or Rebirth. And then, of course, there are all the versions in other media.

So, do you like Argo City surviving Krypton's death? Argo city itself dying? Her parents dying or surviving? Orphanage or not? For how long? How old should she be when arriving on earth? Relationship between Zor and Jor? What's your preferred setup?

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Argo at one time on another planet near Krypton or something? Or am I just remembering wrong?

Anyways my preference - her starting older but ending up younger than him because of stasis/wormhole shenanigans is just such a cool scifi concept and allows a bit of cheeky humor sometimes that I can't help but love it. But Argo city and her parents should be gone along with the rest of Krypton because there really shouldn't be too many Kryptonians flying around, Superman is last son, Kara last daughter, Zod is last of Krypton's sins, bottle city of Kandor is either last doomed piece or last glimmering hope of Krypton, and then you really need a very, very good excuse for anyone else to have survived. Oh and Krypto because...dammit who doesn't love a good super pet?

Anyways my preference - her starting older but ending up younger than him because of stasis/wormhole shenanigans is just such a cool scifi concept
    I sort of like it for her being the one who knew and mourned Krypton, while to Clark it's just a history he's learned.

So, if they both get launched in ships from Krypton - how spacefaring are they (it matters how many ships they had)? What delays her ship? Did Zor-El and Jor-El have their ideas independently or were they working together? Did they plan for Kara to look after Kal if they both knew both kids were being sent? Was the larger ship not big enough for both of them? I've spent some time trying to logic out a way for it to make sense if they are both launched from Krypton (because I do think it's cleaner, in a way) but still haven't quite been satisfied with anything I've come up with.

Retired

I prefer the pre-Crisis version of her origin, where she was born after Krypton's destruction and she was born well after Kal-El. However, there were a few complexities about that origin story--which mainly resulted from them being boxed in by what they had already established, so they had to keep making up more explanations for it all to make sense. But the virtue of Kara Zor-El's origin was that Superman was still the only survivor of Krypton. It was all the other things they did with Kryptonians that weakened this claim.

The least complicated explanation of her origin would be if "Argo City" was a satellite of Krypton and Zor-El managed to save most of the people on board--getting the Argo out of range of the destruction. That would make an action packed story (something like in THE WANDERING EARTH). Zor-El and Alura later have a daughter on board the Argo, but themselves expire.

This wouldn't be my solution, but if you want simplicity that's the best I can think up. Supergirl always seems to attract byzantine elaborations.

Pre-Crisis, but with the addition that Argo has little supplies and Kara grew up making little sacrifices day to day.

Astonishing Member

I kind of like the Power Girl variant of the origin. Kara and Kal both leave as infants. His rocket is faster so he arrives still an infant and before her rocket. It's similar to the TV Supergirl origin except that Kara herself didn't grow up on Krypton eitherin the Power Girl vairiant. Her rocket was designed to give her a simulated life on Krypton to stimulate her mind during the trip. I like the idea that Kara in this has a simulated krypton as a result that she can visit or use to let her cousin experience life on Krypton but since it's just a simulation we wouldn't need other survivors- like the classic Kandor or the TV Argo leave us with,

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Argo at one time on another planet near Krypton or something? Or am I just remembering wrong?
    That was the origin of Kara for Superman TAS.

So, the new timeline has Kara back in the early days and probably about Dick's age. Do you prefer that timing of her (versus her being a few years older than Dick as she was in the 1960s or more Tim's age like late post-COIE)? And what should she do once grown - photography, acting, journalism, etc.?

Since there seem to be some sort of rebooty thing going on - what would you do with her in a reboot? When would she arrive, at what age, who would be her guardian if she had one, etc.?

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    That was the origin of Kara for Superman TAS.

I would have preferred if this was the Post Crisis version of Supergirl instead of the Matrix version, keeps her as an alien without making her Kryptonian but it could easily be retconned by making citizens of Argo being related to Kryptonians.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like the pre-Crisis Argo setup with her being born after Krypton's destruction, but growing up in a big surviving chunk of their culture that managed to be stable for a while. But I think she should be the only survivor of Argo after it comes to its own disaster,

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I would have preferred if this was the Post Crisis version of Supergirl instead of the Matrix version, keeps her as an alien without making her Kryptonian but it could easily be retconned by making citizens of Argo being related to Kryptonians.
    It really is kind of embarassing how the DCAU was able to effortlessly come up with a simple alternative to a non-Kryptonian Supergirl that still keeps her as close to her roots as possible while the comics came up with the weird, kind of convoluted stuff with Matrix and angels.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My two favorite versions are TAS and the Supergirl TV show. She leaves Krypton at the same time as her cousin but gets stuck in the PZ or somewhere and arrives later than he does.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My two favorite versions are TAS and the Supergirl TV show. She leaves Krypton at the same time as her cousin but gets stuck in the PZ or somewhere and arrives later than he does.
    And yet on the TV show Argo City survives after all and Alura is even still alive. And Zor-El survived for a while too. Which brings into question what became of Jor-El and Lara? In the Supergirl pilot all four of them are together
    when they launch their children into space and it didn't seem like there was enough to for Jor-El and Lara to go somewhere else before Kryton exploded. Big plot hole there.

Hmm... Supergirl is from a place called Argo who somehow comes to Earth.

Argo is usually a city on Krypton, but in TAS it was another planet in the Rao system. Yeah this makes for odd questions. Is Krypton on the inner edge of the habitable zone and Argo the outer edge? Or was Argo a planet not naturally habitable at all? Officially the inhabitants are "Argoans" and explicitly NOT Kryptonians. This would suggest it's not a colony world then? They never really explored Argo's history.

It's canon that Kryptonians built domed cities even on Krypton though. Some versions of Argo survived the destruction of Krypton because they already had an air-tight seal covering the city. Also, studying Kryptonian geography suggests that even the Kryptonians found the planet harsh and inhospitable in some places. So it's not a weird idea. Even the Kryptonians didn't like nature.

My favorite twist is the idea that what Kal-El and Kara wear as their super suits is really just Kryptonian fashion. The Supergirl movie suggested this when it showed Kara wearing the super suit while traveling to Earth. Also Kryptonians often wear similar stuff.

The status of Kryptonian space travel tech has always been a weird bit of the back story. Some versions have it that they don't actually have any, and that Jor-El used some sort of natural short cut in space when launching the rocket. that version also has it that this is why so many pieces of Kryptonite came to Earth. All the ones that went that general direction got funneled to Earth.

Other versions though have it that Kryptonians had a space navy and colony worlds that were abandoned or destroyed because their fleet was recalled to Krypton immediately prior to it's destruction. Well mostly. Karsta Wor-Ul's backstory was that she was a deserter and ignored the recall order because she rightly believed it was some sort of trap. Though she didn't really understand the scale of the trap. IIRC she thought her unit was being recalled for disciplinary reasons and didn't know it was the whole fleet. This version had it that Krypton's enemies destroyed the now unprotected colonies... or something. They didn't go into great detail there.

When thinking on it, I very much favor that Krypton doesn't have anything significant in the way of space travel. Maybe something on a moon (seen that version), but nothing interstellar. Jor-El's rocket is less impressive if they have a history, and if they still have other colonies, it's unreasonable that Jor-El send Kal to earth (and let me be plain - I'm not into Superman as space Jesus sent to save us; parents sent Kal to save Kal (not humans) and if the planet hadn't been about to go boom, they'd have kept him and raised him). I also don't care for the reworking of Krypton as cold and unfeeling or of them as previous space-conquerors. Civilizations and technology don't have to develop along earth lines - maybe they really advanced in other ways, but not in space travel. Maybe they had a post-scarcity economy (via tech) before they developed space travel, so had no need. Whatever. Just it works better without significant space travel.

Astonishing Member

Combine Pre-Crisis with the 1984 movie. The comics had Zor-El and Allura survive the destruction of Argo by using a last ditch variation on the Phantom Zone. The movie implied Argo was in some other area of reality maintained by the omegaheron/plot-device.

I'd use both ideas and say that Zor-El used a modified Phantom Zone projector to try saving lives when Krypton went boom. So Argo City was sent into a limbo dimension where life went on and Kara was born and grew up. The dimension is a stable environment and they assume that returning to normal space would either leave them in the ruins of their home planet or with no way to maintain an atmosphere. Kara's journey would either relate to Superman's use of the PZ projector or an attempt by Zod to escape the Zone.

Or have Supergirl be the only enlarged being from the city Brainiac bottled. Whatever originally enlarged Kara is a unique process that would be needed to enlarge anyone else- although other means of shrinking/growing exist to allow Superman and Supergirl to come and go.