Default Favored Supergirl/Argo City set up?

I know post-COIE, she had different versions, but I wanted to stick to the basics of Kara, Superman's cousin from his own universe.

Originally, of course, she was younger, and born after the destruction of Krypton. Later version had her Clark's older cousin who was in stasis a while. Her parents were presumably dead, only then not. Got evil mom or dad in late post-COIE or Rebirth. And then, of course, there are all the versions in other media.

So, do you like Argo City surviving Krypton's death? Argo city itself dying? Her parents dying or surviving? Orphanage or not? For how long? How old should she be when arriving on earth? Relationship between Zor and Jor? What's your preferred setup?

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Argo at one time on another planet near Krypton or something? Or am I just remembering wrong?

Anyways my preference - her starting older but ending up younger than him because of stasis/wormhole shenanigans is just such a cool scifi concept and allows a bit of cheeky humor sometimes that I can't help but love it. But Argo city and her parents should be gone along with the rest of Krypton because there really shouldn't be too many Kryptonians flying around, Superman is last son, Kara last daughter, Zod is last of Krypton's sins, bottle city of Kandor is either last doomed piece or last glimmering hope of Krypton, and then you really need a very, very good excuse for anyone else to have survived. Oh and Krypto because...dammit who doesn't love a good super pet?

Anyways my preference - her starting older but ending up younger than him because of stasis/wormhole shenanigans is just such a cool scifi concept
    I sort of like it for her being the one who knew and mourned Krypton, while to Clark it's just a history he's learned.

So, if they both get launched in ships from Krypton - how spacefaring are they (it matters how many ships they had)? What delays her ship? Did Zor-El and Jor-El have their ideas independently or were they working together? Did they plan for Kara to look after Kal if they both knew both kids were being sent? Was the larger ship not big enough for both of them? I've spent some time trying to logic out a way for it to make sense if they are both launched from Krypton (because I do think it's cleaner, in a way) but still haven't quite been satisfied with anything I've come up with.

Standing Member

I prefer the pre-Crisis version of her origin, where she was born after Krypton's destruction and she was born well after Kal-El. However, there were a few complexities about that origin story--which mainly resulted from them being boxed in by what they had already established, so they had to keep making up more explanations for it all to make sense. But the virtue of Kara Zor-El's origin was that Superman was still the only survivor of Krypton. It was all the other things they did with Kryptonians that weakened this claim.

The least complicated explanation of her origin would be if "Argo City" was a satellite of Krypton and Zor-El managed to save most of the people on board--getting the Argo out of range of the destruction. That would make an action packed story (something like in THE WANDERING EARTH). Zor-El and Alura later have a daughter on board the Argo, but themselves expire.

This wouldn't be my solution, but if you want simplicity that's the best I can think up. Supergirl always seems to attract byzantine elaborations.

Pre-Crisis, but with the addition that Argo has little supplies and Kara grew up making little sacrifices day to day.

Mighty Member

I kind of like the Power Girl variant of the origin. Kara and Kal both leave as infants. His rocket is faster so he arrives still an infant and before her rocket. It's similar to the TV Supergirl origin except that Kara herself didn't grow up on Krypton eitherin the Power Girl vairiant. Her rocket was designed to give her a simulated life on Krypton to stimulate her mind during the trip. I like the idea that Kara in this has a simulated krypton as a result that she can visit or use to let her cousin experience life on Krypton but since it's just a simulation we wouldn't need other survivors- like the classic Kandor or the TV Argo leave us with,

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Argo at one time on another planet near Krypton or something? Or am I just remembering wrong?
    That was the origin of Kara for Superman TAS.