Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    When thinking on it, I very much favor that Krypton doesn't have anything significant in the way of space travel. Maybe something on a moon (seen that version), but nothing interstellar. Jor-El's rocket is less impressive if they have a history, and if they still have other colonies, it's unreasonable that Jor-El send Kal to earth (and let me be plain - I'm not into Superman as space Jesus sent to save us; parents sent Kal to save Kal (not humans) and if the planet hadn't been about to go boom, they'd have kept him and raised him). I also don't care for the reworking of Krypton as cold and unfeeling or of them as previous space-conquerors. Civilizations and technology don't have to develop along earth lines - maybe they really advanced in other ways, but not in space travel. Maybe they had a post-scarcity economy (via tech) before they developed space travel, so had no need. Whatever. Just it works better without significant space travel.
    The old maps of Krypton... leave me with far more questions than answers about Kryptonian society. They suggest that the Kryptonians regularly fought wars over real estate on Krypton, and that several of these regions had their populations nuked into oblivion. The area around Kryptonopolis and Argo City was seemingly the only part that followed what most think of as Kryptonian culture.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The old maps of Krypton... leave me with far more questions than answers about Kryptonian society. They suggest that the Kryptonians regularly fought wars over real estate on Krypton, and that several of these regions had their populations nuked into oblivion. The area around Kryptonopolis and Argo City was seemingly the only part that followed what most think of as Kryptonian culture.
    It's interesting that Kandor, the home of the Jor-El family, is on the east coast of the continent, and Metropolis, the home of Superman, is usually a substitute for New York and also on the east coast of North America (ignoring Smallville)
    While Argo City, the home of the Zor-El family, is on the west coast. And National City, the home of Supergirl, is a substitute for Los Angeles, also on the west coast of North America.

Well, that's not a world map though..... I was thinking of this other map, but you're right, those locations do roughly line up with the continent of Lorvan, and yeah I forgot which side of Lorvan Argo was on.. :/
    kryptonmap-1and2.jpg
    Last edited by marhawkman; 10-15-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: forgot names of Kryptonian continents.

Retired

I think of Krypton as being like Ancient Greece but on a much much larger scale. They even have place names borrowed from Greek. During their Dark Age, the city states of Greece were separated from each other and their cultures developed apart from one another. Even when there was greater communication, the rocky land mass was difficult to travel across, so most of the travel was by sea from one port to another. If Krypton is so large, the weather and the geography probably makes it impossible to build roads between the city-states and most of the travel is by air or by sea. Which accounts for why there are so many cultural differences.

[By the way: I recognize my own handiwork in the scanning for that map--that's from my own copy of the Superman Giant that I bought in 1971.]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think of Krypton as being like Ancient Greece but on a much much larger scale. They even have place names borrowed from Greek. During their Dark Age, the city states of Greece were separated from each other and their cultures developed apart from one another. Even when there was greater communication, the rocky land mass was difficult to travel across, so most of the travel was by sea from one port to another. If Krypton is so large, the weather and the geography probably makes it impossible to build roads between the city-states and most of the travel is by air or by sea. Which accounts for why there are so many cultural differences.
    Yeah, it's structured like city states in general. We know very little about some of them though... how many of the places are mentioned in the atlas and pretty much nowhere else?

That map has 12 populated regions: Antarctic City, Argo City, Atomic Town, Bokos, Erkol, Fort Rozz, Jerat, Kandor, Kryptonopolis, Undersea Palace, Vathlo, Xan. Xan, Erkol and Jerat sound particularly interesting.
    [By the way: I recognize my own handiwork in the scanning for that map--that's from my own copy of the Superman Giant that I bought in 1971.]
    I got the map by saving a copy of an image someone posted on the forum. Maybe it was you. Thanks! it was useful.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 10-15-2019 at 09:20 AM.