Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

By the gods, I hope so.

(Also, I need the return of Earth 3, with a new take on it.)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The New 52 version seems to be among the numerous heroes helping in the Hall of Heroes.

I doubt they'll show up beyond that. Hell, maybe they'll be the first to perish in the big fight with Anti Monitor's mom. I'd like to see a classic Earth Two! Both could exist.

Incredible Member

I'd honestly like to see the return of the New 52 Earth-2. It was probably the one thing I actually liked about that reboot. Then it went to a dumpster fire pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I'd honestly like to see the return of the New 52 Earth-2. It was probably the one thing I actually liked about that reboot. Then it went to a dumpster fire pretty fast.
    The early issues by James Robinson were interesting.

After he left they drove that budgie off a cliff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The early issues by James Robinson were interesting.

After he left they drove that budgie off a cliff.
    Oh that's totally true. A major problem with him though were that his stories felt just slow. They either needed more books set on that Earth-2 like an Ultimate-line like thing or something. Taylor did okay for a little bit until he benched everyone in favor of Thomas-Batman, thanks Flashpoint, Aquawoman, Red Tornado, and Val Zod Superman who actually wasn't too bad just not necessary. And the less said about Worlds End and Society the better.

I know I saw new 52 Earth 2 League in a recent issue of Justice League, they were in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Oh that's totally true. A major problem with him though were that his stories felt just slow. They either needed more books set on that Earth-2 like an Ultimate-line like thing or something. Taylor did okay for a little bit until he benched everyone in favor of Thomas-Batman, thanks Flashpoint, Aquawoman, Red Tornado, and Val Zod Superman who actually wasn't too bad just not necessary. And the less said about Worlds End and Society the better.
    Yeah totally. They should have launched an EARTH 2: HAWKGIRL book and a mini featuring Jay and Alan or something. Plus keep a Powergirl/Huntress: Earth 2's Finest.

DC's nu52 Earth 2 turned out to be a waste. James Robinson set something as close to his original vision as DC would allow him. But DC wanted a different direction and Tom Taylor got a paycheck for some mediocre stuff which was totally opposed to the original intention of the book. Then DC decided to wreck the planet and bring the heroes to the main Earth. But then they had Darkseid conquer the planet in a 26 issue series and the heroes went to a copy of Earth, kinda with horrible stories written by the talent-free daniel Wilson. Dan Abnett did what he could to fix up the cluster^%#$ mess and get the series back to something close to where Ribinson had the book, but with PG and Huntress-Wayne.

80 issues and a lot of crap. DC evidently had some faith as they were willing to go with that many issues plus the Worlds' Finest series with Helena and Kara.

Mighty Member

World's End was okay but incredibly dark. It was almost DC's version of Time Runs Out, where the outcome of everything dying is inevitable no matter what you do. E2 Society, was total crap and I'm being kind.

Not totally. The art of Jimenez was fantastic.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The art was rife with problems of way too many panels with weird bachgrounds and teeny black figures. There was also problems telling figures apart. The art wasn't as bad as the story, but it wasn't anywhere near adequate.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It was very good but those first six or seven issues of Earth 2: Society are amongst the worst comics that DC have published in the last decade or so. The writer, a guy called Daniel Wilson, had no comic book experience whatsoever. And doesn't it show. Everything about those issues is a total mess. Worlds End, although not quite as bad as Society, suffered from the same problems. Greenhorn writers, including Wilson, should never have been used on such a major weekly project as that.

Dan Abnett actually later concluded the Society series with a deus-ex-machina type scenario that undid the previous five years of story-lines to restore Earth 2 to something very similar to the pre-Flashpoint one. So maybe the characters could be resurrected in the future.

Astonishing Member

Thankfully No.

1 - Earth 2 was not destroyed. They were able to find themselves on another planet at the end of Society and continued to be their JSA as the series end.

2 - That JSA was also showcased in a previous Justice League issue along with other Justice Leagues, meant to save the multiverse. So they're definitely still canon and they still exist.

3 - Bendis stated during last year comic con that he has plans for Val Zod.

So fortunately DC wouldn't do something as crazy as removing Earth 2. Earth 2 was really good and sold well all the way until World's End, then it flew into the Ocean. But most importantly, one of the biggest buzz DC is getting in the multimedia is the idea of seeing a black superman. First with Michael B Jordan being rumored to play superman and tons of fan art showcasing him as Val Zod, to one of Hobbs and Shaw major lines in the trailer being "he really is black superman." The Rock even discussed about how the time is right for a black superman.

I've been saying since the beginning that DC literally has a diamond in the rough waiting for them with Val Zod, who easily could be DC's Miles Morales. The general audience demand is there. You don't see people regularly talk about a black batman, but you constantly hear people talking about a black superman. Earth 2 can be that vessel, with Bendis at the helm since he's birthed Miles Morales, brought Luke Cage to the next stage of stardom, and has created one of the best new series in DC under Naomi.
    Last edited by leo619; 07-17-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Fantastic Member

I wonder if a multiversal Justice Society of America might be the way to go when the team finally returns? Perhaps line up the ranks of the team with different iterations that have been on the team for the last nearly eighty years past and present and give them a HUGE reason to band together as a newly reformed JSA? With this sort of group you get a reason to keep all of their wonderful history such as the Infinitors, the original Earth Two, the new Earth 2, erased members such as Earth Two Kal-L and odd time blips such as the Golden Age Fury and Miss America.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Although there were parts of it that we enjoyable early on, the whole direction was a creative blunder. Here's an exploration of the changes around Alan Scott.

1. De-aging him rendered Jade and Obsidian unusable without substantially changing them. Their loss pissed off their fans, and it meant fewer story possibilities. It also meant one less female character and one less gay male character.
    2. The loss of Obsidian probably led to the decision to make Alan gay. Since there'd never been any in panel indicators that Alan was anything but straight, this pissed off some of his fans. Of course, his boyfriend of Chinese descent gets killed off pretty quicky, so DC probably fielded some "why do you always kill the gay S.O." letters.
    3. The source of Alan's powers changed from the Star Heart to the Green. He also seemed to use energy constructs less. Instead, he seemed to essentially just be a big green flying brick. They did grant him plant control and avatar abilities due to being empowered by the Green.

They closed down more story avenues than they opened, and they seeming set out to deliberately piss off some readers. Alan may be one of the more extreme examples, but just about all the characters were screwed over. The Garrick marriage as a casualty especially bugged me.