Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Also in the "happy sad" category, Who Is Donna Troy? gets me every time.

The death of The Red Bee in All-Star Squadron #35. Say what you will about the Bee, he died a hero!

Aquaman losing his baby

Jason Todd's death

Lois holding the corpse of Superman

The reveal of Identity Crisis

Extraordinary Member

I've already said it was Supergirl's death for me...

...but Karate Kid's death in 'An Eye For An Eye' had me pretty sad too.

Last edited by caj; 07-26-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Guy and Fire fail to bring back Ice from the dead in "Formerly Known as Justice League" (Seriously WTF a comedy book ends up with you bawling at the end of it)
    This was a tough one for me as well.

Batman reading his dad’s letter.
    Jason’s death
    Wally and Barry hugging.

Funeral For a Friend never fails to make me cry no matter how many times I've read it, mostly the Ma & Pa scenes. Specifically:

**Jon and Martha Kent watching their son die on national television, helpless to do anything

**Jon and Martha not being able to attend their own child's funeral, and their makeshift ceremony in Smallville. Such sad helplessness that they have to make the best of.

**Jon's heart attack and Martha's utter loneliness and despair at losing both of the men in her life

**Jon and Martha putting aside their extraordinary grief to fly up and comfort Lois is really touching and shows their character

**Finally just Lois' utter despair in the day after Superman's death, barely keeping it together, walking around like a zombie

**Afterwards in Reign of the Supermen Lois' complex emotions: wanting so badly to believe Clark is back, trying to maintain skepticism and stoicism, but desperately wanting to see him again, getting jerked around between hope and reality. And then when they finally reunite.

Okay I need a Kleenex.
    Last edited by ultradav; 07-18-2019 at 03:28 PM.

The majority won't agree, but this always gets me choked up:

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    The first and foremost would be the death of Supergirl during the original Crisis. I remember reading that series as it was published.

A close second would be Ralph's grief during Identity Crisis. Whatever flaws that mini-series had, its depiction of his grief was spot-on.

The grief of Lois, the Kents, and Lana after the death of Superman was depicted well also. In that case, there was no question that the death was temporary. At least with the first two above, you know they were permanent or long-term.
    For me, the bolded is the saddest and particularly the final page...Ralph tucking into bed and speaking to her as if she were still there, like nothing was wrong...the cracks were beginning to show that they would explore in '52', and it's the first and only time I've teared up in a comic.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Animal man finding out his wife and children were killed.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The Brave and the Bold Story was "happy sad" for me, where it was sad/tragic (and I get why people didn't like it, the story could be seen as exploitative), but also left you smiling at the end.

Monstress's death was tragic, I think the writers knew the character was reviled and then gave her that death to make the audience feel bad they didn't like her.
    I liked Monstress...
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Incredible Member

she was just a minor character but i was sad when silver sorceress died in jle.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tim Drake's father died in Identity Crisis. That's probably the best sequence from that book. Art, writing and pacing for that moment is gripping.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Justice League #27 where we didn't see Atomica inside Scorch. (and the fact Scorch died which is like having Hawkeye die; Scorch is the DC Hawkeye but I just wanna see those innards)

Not allowing Atomica to go inside Black Manta too. But of course it would've been like the Scorch thing so double sad?

Grid's death (I forget what issue that was)

Grid and Owlman attacked by Dr. Manhattan because apparently Grid dies again why can't he just go to jail like Ultraman

The Other Black Lightning (Black Lightning #10) pretty depressing to read if you're a Black Vulcan fan like me the "Barbara Hanna" thing was the final nail in the coffin and it made me want to scream, "Great Lightning!"

"WHY COULDN'T YOU LET ME DIE?" (Tales of the New Teen Titans #1) for someone who only knew Cyborg from TTG, a bit of the 2003 cartoon, and Six Flags it just pained me to read. even though Cyborg makes a particularly funny face during that scene

Elinore Stone's death (every time it's done, just like Cyborg's initial angst) WHY CAN'T ELINORE BE A SUPPORTING CHARACTER
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.