Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Death of the E2 Superman in IC. It was completely pointless and contributed nothing to the story. He earned his happy ending and didn't deserve to get dragged out of limbo. The corruption of Earth Prime Superboy is another one that I hated. And Alex Luthor. That entire series was just a complete waste.
    Assassinate Putin!

- Supergirl's death in "Crisis" is definitely one for me as well. The scene with her and Kal as she was dying kills me.

- I've read that some people really disliked it, but that issue of "Brave and the Bold" where Zatanna and Wonder Woman take Barbara Gordon out on the town while knowing she was about to be crippled by the Joker. You really have to accept that they couldn't change anything, but it still got me choked up.

- Even though I never particularly cared for either character, Sun Boy's death in the 5YL series and Monstress's death in "Legion Lost" were very sad.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

If we are going for sad as in "how the heck did this make it into print", then I'd have a few different ones. Such as:

The latest "break the Bat" storyline.
    Deathstroke vs the JLA in Identity Crisis
    Heroes in Crisis (good basic concept, lousy misdirected execution)
    Rape/Murder of Sue Dibney
    Murder of Ted Kord
    Lois & Jon going with Jor-El/Lois leaving Jon with Jor-El/Aging of Jon/Lois' public kiss of Superman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    If we are going for sad as in "how the heck did this make it into print", then I'd have a few different ones.
    I was going with sad as in emotionally heavy. In other words, moments that were meant to be sad and make us want to cry. I'd just like to stick to that in this thread. God knows there's enough discussion about what's made us angry.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-16-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

The suicidal girl Superman helps in All Star Superman. So powerful.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    - I've read that some people really disliked it, but that issue of "Brave and the Bold" where Zatanna and Wonder Woman take Barbara Gordon out on the town while knowing she was about to be crippled by the Joker. You really have to accept that they couldn't change anything, but it still got me choked up.
    I forgot about that one!!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

For me, Jason Todd. That really messed me up as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    The suicidal girl Superman helps in All Star Superman. So powerful.
    I always wanted a scene like that in a Superman movie.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Also, the Superman story "For The Man Who Has Everything" as well as the Justice League Unlimited version.

Incredible Member

too many to count ..

the crisis deaths

the final pre-crisis tale of superman

among others ...

Death of the greatest Green Lantern – Bzzd <3

Retired

Not just in the fake comic book world, but if we're talking about the saddest moment in the history of DC the publisher--for me that was ACTION COMICS 583, especially the cover. I've never been so sad as a DC fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Oh, yeah, that one was really hard to read. I was tearing up.
    I remember feeling legit panic during my first read.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I forgot about that one!!!
    Me too! That was Waid right?

This might not be #1 on the sad list because it's been watered down and redone over and over again but thinking back to when I first read it as a kid, the original death of Superman issue #75 was pretty sad. You had him all beaten up and people were trying to revive him but they couldn't do CPR cause his lungs were too strong. Then there's the shot of Lois holding him up on the last page which flipped out to a 2 page spread of him dead with the tattered cape in the background. To a 14 year old kid, that's pretty sad.
    Save Ferris...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

- Even though I never particularly cared for either character, Sun Boy's death in the 5YL series and Monstress's death in "Legion Lost" were very sad.
    The Brave and the Bold Story was "happy sad" for me, where it was sad/tragic (and I get why people didn't like it, the story could be seen as exploitative), but also left you smiling at the end.

Monstress's death was tragic, I think the writers knew the character was reviled and then gave her that death to make the audience feel bad they didn't like her.