Page 5 of 336 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    ^^^^^

Yeah really what viable direction in ring will Kane have anymore after he loses? A final match with 'Taker seems very unlikely at present and would be months off anyway. Kane might be able to fill in for his "Brother" vs Sting but at this point that match would be God awful.

I don't see too many young studs that would desperately need a put over from him and are also likely to be unoccupied in the very near future.
    I almost think Kane would have been done a couple of years ago if the Team Hell No thing hadn't taken off. It's not that he's any worse in the ring than he's ever been, and I'm not wishing him gone. But a final main event against Bryan would be be a pretty good use of Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    when punk was champ they didn't even use the other title for main events and his smackdown title run doesn't really count.

anyways i hope you're right, but after kane what does brianson do, how are they not in the same position next month they are now??
    They are in the same position, but at least they had a month to think about it!

Otherwise, Big Show hasn't even been on shows lately, and they flip flop him back and forth all the time. If they really want to establish Bryan as being a giant killer, you could literally have him tear through all the big guys you can find. So line up Mark Henry for July after Big Show has June, and then you're at Summerslam. I know that's not going to result in the kinds of matches that a lot of people would want to see out of Bryan, but in WWE land, it's sound logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    So, speaking of Bryan opponents - I read some news yesterday that Batista is leaving for a period to promote Guardians of the Galaxy and WWE planned for his final match to be at Payback against Bryan. Batista apparently refused to do this match, saying that being beaten by someone smaller than him twice (tapping at WM and then) would damage his credibility...
    he has a point, especially if he was promised a title reign and all that.
    I hope WWE planted that story to make us internet fans hate Batista even more. Even if it's true, it still would be an awesome bit to intentionally leak out about Batista to fuel his heel character.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

you could put anybody in there, they'd pretty much just be the job boy anyways.
    Which could kind of ruin things, depending. It gives the other Evolution people an out not to really put over the Shield much. Which is something they, especially whoever is left between Trips and Dave, should be doing.

and also not utilizing established talent to their fullest.
    Agreed
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

To address Batista, did/does the E really owe him a title run? Or anything extra, especially at this point? The guy came back out of shape. Even his promos were rather weak. Did he think the fanbase was going to be so enamored with his mere presence that they would bring the house down with cheers regardless if he looked, spoke, and wrestled at a clearly, and arguably vastly, lower level than before? I mean c'mon. With all the talents named earlier who are frequently giving honest and more exciting efforts this guy gets a belt reign despite basically sucking? I think he should be glad he is no doubt getting payed so well at this point. Cause he is clearly not worth the hype anymore, imho. I mean, he could not even get over much at all as a face. It's mostly his fault imo. Don't return and expect the world if you are going to be mediocre to poor at everything.

Many of the names mentioned by Austin and alex are indeed a shame. (Though in a case like Ryback's I admit to being kind of glad.)

I'll add Kofi to those lists. He was strongly over for a fairly long time and should have been given a better chance to at least be a reliable upper midcarder imo. Instead he has basically turned into job material and as clay says it seems the E (and possibly even Kingston himself) are resigned at this point.

Swagger is another guy that they pushed strongly at first, seemed to be jelling, only for them to back off and leave the guy with a "he's already hit his peak" type feeling. Hes basically another jobber these days despite having many of the tools to have been a player a few years back.
    Last edited by Jadis; 05-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

To address Batista, did/does the E really owe him a title run?

Many of the names mentioned by Austin and alex are indeed a shame. (Though in a case like Ryback's I admit to being kind of glad.)
    Creatively, or from a fan perspective, Batista isn't owed sh*t. I can't say I've ever heard of him actually having star power to draw (I could be wrong on that though), he dissed the product and the roster while he was gone, he has been a huge let down since he came back. Legally though, you never know what his contract might include.

Yeah, I'm glad Ryback never really got anywhere tbh, I wasn't a fan of his then and I'm not now, I more highlighted him because of how it was an example of one of WWE's manufactured attempts who would actually succeeded if it wasn't for WWE themselves getting cold feet. Normally it's - WWE tells us to care about someone, we don't, they pull the rug. With Ryback it was - WWE tells us we should care about him, eventually we do, WWE realise they've painted themselves in to a corner and that THEY don't care about him.

As for Cesaro, the problem there is he can't really effectively cut his own promos and the E's best manager by far is a heel. Paul also isn't really doing anything else while Brawk is absent. But he is someone the fans enjoy reacting to regardless.

The fans do want to cheer for Cesaro. But they need top heels more than they need another top face and will Cesaro stay well over at the top level on basically ringwork/physicality alone?

Edit addition : I'll admit the combonation seems awkward. My guess is that they are counting on Paul being so good that combined with what Cesaro brings to the table in terms of strength and skill, they can sell the nasty on him. At least until something else shakes out or possibly there is a conflict with Lesnar and they turn Cesaro back in a year or two.
    Last edited by Jadis; 05-04-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

To address Batista, did/does the E really owe him a title run? Or anything extra, especially at this point? The guy came back out of shape. Even his promos were rather weak. Did he think the fanbase was going to be so enamored with his mere presence that they would being the house down with cheers regardless if he looked, spoke, and wrestled at a clearly, and arguably vastly, lower level than before? I mean c'mon. With all the talents named earlier who are frequently giving honest and more exciting efforts this guy gets a belt reign despite basically sucking? I think he should be glad he is no doubt getting payed so well at this point. Cause he is clearly not worth the hype anymore, imho. I mean, he could not even get over much at all as a face. It's mostly his fault imo. Don't return and expect the world if you are going to be mediocre to poor at everything.

I'll add Kofi to those lists. He was strongly over for a fairly long time and should have been given a better chance to at least be a reliable upper midcarder imo. Instead he has basically turned into job material and as clay says it seems the E (and possibly even Kingston himself) are resigned at this point.

Swagger is another guy that they pushed strongly at first, seemed to be jelling, only for them to back off and leave the guy with a "he's already hit his peak" type feeling. Hes basically another jobber these days despite having many of the tools to have been a player a few years back.
    It's hard to say on the Batista issue. I mean, contractual stuff is between WWE and talent, and if a title run was something that they lured Batista back with...

I just can't help but think things would be far different if that arena's advertising hadn't blown the surprise of his Rumble return. But mostly, I guess it only matters if they care whether or not he returns from this break. Batista always returned from injuries a little out of shape (usually too huge/bad cardio), and would take a little while to get back up to fighting speed. That's probably something they all should have accounted for in the first place. At this point, I don't think they owe it to him, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see it happen down the road.

The Smackdown taping I went to in December was a real eye-opener, in terms of Ryback. No matter what people think of him, he does know how to work a crowd, and gets reactions out of proportion to his place on the card, and that skill alone might be enough to warrant another big push for him. He's good enough in the ring, and if they put him in a position where he actually stood a chance of succeeding (instead of the year and a half solid of having the rug pulled out from under him on a near weekly basis), things could be rosy for Ryback.

As for Cesaro, the problem there is he can't really effectively cut his own promos and the E's best manager by far is a heel. Paul also isn't really doing anything else while Brawk is absent. But he is someone the fans enjoy reacting to regardless.

The fans do want to cheer for Cesaro. But they need top heels more than they need another top face and will Cesaro stay well over at the top level on basically ringwork/physicality alone?
    If anyone can keep Cesaro heel, it's Heyman. It might just be a stop-gap until Bork returns, but he's way more valuable in a heel role than he would be as a face right now.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

I should have addressed the Shield thing before, but I will here briefly. I get the kayfabe pov. And don't disagree with what you are saying in that regard, Lbo.

I view The Shield as a case of the whole machine adding up to more than the seperate parts. Which is kind of what they have been selling without outright saying it. And it works alright for me.

Are you ready for... WEE L C!!!

Who's gonna be live postin tonight?

Midget commentators, ring announcer, referee.....

This does feel a bit awkward watching this, definitely intended as nothing more than a sideshow act...

The only good thing so far is that the names Jerry Smaller and Micro Cole are quite funny...

BANNED

Midget commentators, ring announcer, referee.....

This does feel a bit awkward watching this, definitely intended as nothing more than a sideshow act...

The only good thing so far is that the names Jerry Smaller and Micro Cole are quite funny...
    Looking at this match. The word racist is the right way to describe this right? Ive seen some midget matches in lucha that wasn't treated as a sideshow act

Michael Cole is my hero. He just sent this to commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Looking at this match. The word racist is the right way to describe this right? Ive seen some midget matches in lucha that wasn't treated as a sideshow act
    Well, it wouldn't be racist, could definitely be argued that it's heightist though.

I don't hate it, this match has got some nice bumps, has had some funny moments and El Torito is brilliant... I definitely feel awkward watching it though, purely because I know the whole basis for this even happening is "look at them, lets laugh because they're so tiny."

It's no different to Joffrey wheeling out the midget kings in Game of Thrones a few weeks ago.

BANNED

Well, it wouldn't be racist, could definitely be argued that it's heightist though.

I don't hate it, this match has got some nice bumps, has had some funny moments and El Torito is brilliant... I definitely feel awkward watching it though, purely because I know the whole basis for this even happening is "look at them, lets laugh because they're so tiny."

It's no different to Joffrey wheeling out the midget kings in Game of Thrones a few weeks ago.
    I don't hate it either. It's it's surprisingly entertaining. Something I wouldn't expect from Hornswaggle. I say he has became alot more tolerable since ditching the Leprechaun get up and joined forces with 3MB

RVD out first (not counting the pre-show.... lol good match, like the wee weapons). Here we go.

Paul Heyman is just a master of controlling a crowd.