View Poll Results: Your preferred Ma and Pa Kent Status?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Both Kents dead

16 21.92%
  • Both Kents alive

45 61.64%
  • Pa dead and Ma alive

11 15.07%
  • Ma dead and Pa alive

1 1.37%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Kents - Dead or Alive?

Was listening to a Word Balloon podcast put up where Mark Waid talks about why he thinks it’s better for the Kents to be dead, and it was literally my own reasoning. Decided that I wanted to finally poll the forum on how they felt about this, I know we’ve talked about it multiple times, but Doomsday Clock might return the Kents to life, I figured why not get everyone’s opinion?

I like Pa dead of natural causes, something Clark can't use his powers to affect. Absolutely no involvement of time imps or Dr. Manhattan, or suicide by tornado. And Ma alive, if for no other reason than every single superhero seems to have to have their families killed as some sort of motivation.

Astonishing Member

I just feel that the Pre-Crisis set up worked. It provided a capstone on the Superboy era of Clark's life, it gave him a personal tragedy (sorry Krypton doesn't count for me) and it gave Superman agency that having parents to go home to didn't.

I get that you could write a more self-reliant Superman with living parents, I just have never seen anyone do so. Either you get the 1950's TV approach where Clark's parent is alive but never seen or the 1990's TV approach where they were offering advice every other episode. Having Martha back on the farm unseen is really no different than her being dead. Having them alive and involved seems to invite too many scenarios where Superman isn't able to solve his own problems without needing to consult "Mommy and Daddy"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Looks like I'm going to die alone on this "both Kents alive" hill. I'm ready for all of you. When y'all come at the king, don't miss.

If they're going to be used solely for Clark to doubt himself and put a quarter into the Pa Kent Cornfed Wisdom vending machine, however, they can both stay dead. I just want someone in the JLA to have a healthy relationship with their living parents and Clark is as good as any option for that. I'd argue Diana is too, but DC needs to decide on what is going on with the Amazons and stick to it for a few years.

Astonishing Member

Dead. He was fine when they were dead. He's suppose to be a tough cookie, leave the dead parents= shattered individual crap to the rest of the DCU.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can go either way but as a regular reader I lean towards alive. They're just two supporting characters, that no other hero ever seems to have, and not really a burden. I sort of find them funny in the way I found jerry's parents funny on Seinfeld. If they're alive and you don't want to use them, you can just avoid using them. Or find a way to write them that you like. All the complaints about them, whatever they are, can never be improved upon if no one tries.

They aren't really known for a great send off, like Aunt May once was. I don't think pa on his deathbed is all that great a scene in the history of Superman, just sort of an equivalent to Bruce vowing by candlelight. He's just fine with them gone but the actual dying part is a footnote in my definition of the overall mythos.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Both dead. It worked fine for many years, and the Kents are just not interesting enough for me to justify keeping them alive for the potential drawbacks (Superman consulting his parents all the time, which doesn't have to happen, but best to remove the temptation). They worked wonderfully for the Superboy era, but they should just shuffle off afterward.

I don't wanna see any A.I Jor-El either, that's even worse.

Honsestly what I feel should be done is to revive the original Superboy title for modern times wherein Jonathan and Martha would be a staple there as it takes place in the past. Doesn't have to be as campy as the original, again modified as a modern retelling with ideas that make more sense as it would then pertain to Clark's future as Superman. But this title is the only reason the characters even became popular in the first place. Its where they lived best. Unfortunately DC is stubborn and stupid and doesn't want this in Superman's canon.

Instead they'll be brought back to life in the present, and utilized as mentors for Jon who gets the kid/teen adventures while Superman once again loses his from canon. Its a time-honored tradition at DC to give classic elements of Superman's history to other characters. At least when Johns did it with Conner, as much as I disliked that too, he at least had the good sense to put Clark's relevant boyhood history back too, eventually, instead of being ashamed of it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I like the Kents, but I don't think Kal needs them to be alive well into his adulthood. After all, it worked for nearly fifty years! I like to give him a little tragedy on Earth, in addition to Krypton. Not that that's the focus, you understand, but I firstly think it's important that his life isn't perfect, and secondly I think it's important that he has to work out his problems with peers, not parents.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I started thinking about his peers, too. I don't like the Kents too involved in Superman's problems, but I'm also not so keen on consulting Batman outside of forensic evidence or Joker helo or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honsestly what I feel should be done is to revive the original Superboy title for modern times wherein Jonathan and Martha would be a staple there as it takes place in the past. Doesn't have to be as campy as the original, again modified as a modern retelling with ideas that make more sense as it would then pertain to Clark's future as Superman. But this title is the only reason the characters even became popular in the first place. Its where they lived best. Unfortunately DC is stubborn and stupid and doesn't want this in Superman's canon.

Instead they'll be brought back to life in the present, and utilized as mentors for Jon who gets the kid/teen adventures while Superman once again loses his from canon. Its a time-honored tradition at DC to give classic elements of Superman's history to other characters. At least when Johns did it with Conner, as much as I disliked that too, he at least had the good sense to put Clark's relevant boyhood history back too, eventually, instead of being ashamed of it.
    Kinda weird with Johns. He was the guy to beat when it came to D.C. and he both got rid of Pa while restoring the Legion but... not a lot came from it. I don't remember anyone actually using Martha better as a result and aside from 3 Worlds the Legion didn't get involved too much. And then they just rebooted the whole thing.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I feel that Clark having both parents alive serves him better as an overall character. It's what makes him different than most and a more believable light to everyone on Earth.

There is enough "tragedy" to feed off of for ANY writer, with a margin of talent, for Clark being the last of his kind due to the death of his planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

I thought there was a rights issue with the Superboy title with Clark, in original garb and story telling, preventing DC from using and going back to that?

I could be wrong or misremembering but I thought that was the case...?
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-16-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Arrow

OP Question - both dead
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't mind Pa dying well into his career as Superman but I at least want them alive long enough to enjoy their son's success. They can be a good source of inspiration and wisdom. Superman is a positive character. Having his parents alive is better for him.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Honestly fine either way, but at this point, I wouldn't mind them back.

Amazing Member

I voted for both alive, but after giving it some more thought I think I'd rather see Pa alive and Ma Kent dead. We've seen both alive, both dead, and Ma alive, but never just widower Pa Kent.