Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Waid's Linda in general is just one of, if not the, best written love interests in cape comics.
    I'm actually rereading that series now, and I'm not up to Waid's run yet. I'm looking forward to getting that far, as I didn't remember just how bad the series was in the early going. Baron's run was pretty bad, and Messner-Loebs was kind of hit or miss, with some good stories, and others that were kinda bad.

But even in Messner-Loebs' run, when Linda was first introduced, before she started dating Wally, she was already one of the most interesting characters in the series. Given that she was introduced in the same issue where Brian Augustyn took over as editor, and he stayed on the series through much of Waid's run, I wonder how much of her characterization was his idea.

I've only read assorted ones of each rather than entire runs, but I'm freak - I preferred Messner-Loebs to Waid. I thought Linda was more utilized/fleshed out in the Messner-Loebs ones I was exposed to rather than the Waid ones. Plus some other stuff.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I guess this would be a good time to suggest Alexandra DeWitt as among the worst in this thread.
    I don't know that one

Oh wait is she Alex the Kyle girlfriend the actual fridge
    I don't know her full name.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't know that one

Oh wait is she Alex the Kyle girlfriend the actual fridge
    I don't know her full name.
    Yup, that's her. I didn't remember her name at all, until I googled the "women in fridge" meme.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah, I remember reading an interview with the author saying that she's created to die. That's been the plan since the beginning.

Alfred Pennyworth is the best

The worse changes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Worst - Sue Dibny in Identity Crisis
    This almost feels like cheating.

Retired

I've only peeked at IDENTITY CRISIS in the comic book store and have never wanted to own it or have it anywhere near my other comics. As far as they know, Sue is still alive and happy with Ralph.

Anyway, I don't consider Sue a supporting character. She's an equal partner with Ralph and that's what makes their adventures so appealing. I guess when Ralph and Sue appear in other people's stories, then they both become supporting characters.

I was watching one of the interviews with the FLASH cast at SDCC and when Hartley Sawyer said something about Sue, I was thinking about her as a real life person that I knew. I had to remind myself that she's a fictional character. That's how real Ralph and Sue had become for me in my life--I feel like they really existed.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 07-21-2019 at 04:04 AM.

Lois Lane and Alfred Pennyworth are the best.

Jason (Wonder Woman's twin brother) is the worst.

Retired

Most inventive was Uncle Marvel, least inventive was Aunt Harriet.

There's something so wonderfully screwy about the idea of Uncle Dudley as this tout who tries to get one over on Mary and the other Marvels by pretending he's their uncle and he has the same powers, when he ain't and he don't. And yet he ends up loved by them and they encourage his deceit, because they are such good-hearted kids.

I liked Harriet Cooper well enough on the TV show, but in the comics when they introduced her, they didn't seem to know what to do with her. She hardly appeared that much in the comics and no big storylines about her. She disappeared into the drapes. Certainly there was a lot of potential in her, but they never could figure out a good use for her, like they did on the TV series.

Likewise with Mrs. Chilton, Bruce Wayne's housekeeper--who was in reality Joe Chill's mother. Loads of potential for her, but they never paid that off.

You're certainly not wrong that nothing was ever done with Mrs. Chilton or Aunt Harriet. They are largely forgotten by comic readers. What do you think could have been done with them, especially Harriet?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Worst example I can think of is Jimmy Olsen.

Whether is comics, movies, TV shows. Just about every attempt to make Jimmy "happen" has failed.

Frequently getting powers and needing to be rescued by Supers in the Silver Age, making him trans (All Star), making him black (Supergirl TV), making him a rich orphan (New 52), superhero (Countdown), action hero reporter (New Krypton), etc.

In a medium that is filled with sidekick and best friend relationships:
    Batman and Robin(s) + Batgirl(s)
    Captain America + Bucky, Rick Jones ,Falcon
    Green Arrow and Speedy
    Iron Man and Spider-Man + War Machine
    Flash and Kid Flash
    Wolverine and Jubilee + X-23
    Joker and Harley Quinn

Superman, The Man of Steel, The Last Son of Krypton, the John Carter of Mars and Tarzan of the Apes inspired character has Jimmy Olsen as a sidekick. A sidekick DC has no idea what to do with.

I always make the comparison of Jimmy to Peter Parker. Because they parallel each other in a number of ways, but diverge also.

Both characters accidentally stumbled into getting super powers. Jimmy more often than Peter. Jimmy never keeps his powers or mutations though.

Peter Parker is a photographer at the Daily Bugle. - Jimmy Olsen is a photographer at the Daily Planet.

Peter's wardrobe consist of a lot of blue suits, shirt and neck ties. - Jimmy Olsen's wardrobe consists of plaid overcoats, bow ties, shirt and suspenders.

Peter Parker has a genius level intellect, is an inventor and ran his own business. - Jimmy Olsen has nothing like that going for him.

Peter Parker lives at home with his silver vixen aunt. - Jimmy Olsen lives at home with his silver vixen mother.

This while ignoring Peter's celebrity and hero status as the Amazing Spider-Man, Avenger, FF member, honorary X-Man and other accolades.

I left that part out, because Jimmy is a supporting character on another character's book. However, you can see the pattern of where Jimmy is almost a mirror to Peter, but with no real hook/draw to help inspire intrigue in his character. I list rebranding attempts when I started this post. TPTB have pulled out nearly all the stops to do something new with the character. Jimmy is kept around because he's supposed to be there.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 07-21-2019 at 06:16 AM.

I really think Jimmy worked better as a cub reporter than as a photographer. That way he had a reason to be out investigating things himself. I acknowledge that he could not be "allowed" to reach the heights of Lois and/or Clark in reporting, and so giving him a separate role/niche makes some sense. But there just doesn't seem to be as much for him to do in that role to me, or as much room for growth.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-21-2019 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yeah, I remember reading an interview with the author saying that she's created to die. That's been the plan since the beginning.
    That's right. She was intended to be to Kyle Rayner what Uncle Ben was to Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    That's right. She was intended to be to Kyle Rayner what Uncle Ben was to Peter Parker.
    With great powers come a pretty big fridge.