Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Incredible Member Harpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    617

    Default Al Ewing and Juann Cabal taking over Guardians of the Galaxy in January

    Announced at Marvel's Next Big Thing panel at NYCC on Friday that Don Cates is leaving the book, but Al Ewing is coming on in. I am super-hyped for this, as Ewing's cosmic and team books are my favourite kind of Ewing books. I've also liked Cabal's past work, so seems like a winning combo all around!

    Some things of note:
    • Ewing said at the panel that the full team is larger than what's on the cover to the first issue
    • He also confirmed that's Marvel Boy on the cover, between Moondragon and Richard Rider in the background
    • Apparently going to be lots and lots of world-building. Ewing's taking control of space!
    • Picking up from the ending to Avengers: No Road Home, the reborn Olympian gods will be appearing here as the new team's first threat. Hercules might be on the roster as well then?





    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1
    Writer: AL EWING
    Artist: JUANN CABAL
    IN 2020 -- SPACE IS THE PLACE!
    Once, they were a team of misfits. Now they're a family, and they've earned their peace. But the universe is not a peaceful place -- and it's only getting worse. The Great Empires are in turmoil. The rule of law is dead. And amidst the chaos, the Gods of Olympus have returned -- harbingers of a new age of war, reborn to burn their mark on the stars themselves. Someone has to guard the galaxy - but who will accept the mission? And will they survive it? Al Ewing (IMMORTAL HULK) and Juann Cabal (FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN) bring you in on the ground floor of a whole Marvel Universe of action and suspense!

  2. #2
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,700

    Default

    If anyone can pull off the Guardians as a grand, cosmic, Space Opera, it's Ewing.

    Kinda surprised with all the current solicits of Rocket dying, he's front-and-center on this cover.

    I hope this is the real Phyla and Moondragon and not AU versions. Hopefully the larger roster has more women too.

    Glad Rich is still in there.

    Why do I foresee Noh-Varr and Peter not getting along?

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Steroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Can't wait for this!!! Rich being on the team was enough to get me hyped but with Ewing at the helm this is everything I could ever ask for.
    Generation X Forever!!!

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member protege's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chandler az
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Announced at Marvel's Next Big Thing panel at NYCC on Friday that Don Cates is leaving the book, but Al Ewing is coming on in. I am super-hyped for this, as Ewing's cosmic and team books are my favourite kind of Ewing books. I've also liked Cabal's past work, so seems like a winning combo all around!

    Some things of note:
    • Ewing said at the panel that the full team is larger than what's on the cover to the first issue
    • He also confirmed that's Marvel Boy on the cover, between Moondragon and Richard Rider in the background
    • Apparently going to be lots and lots of world-building. Ewing's taking control of space!
    • Picking up from the ending to Avengers: No Road Home, the reborn Olympian gods will be appearing here as the new team's first threat. Hercules might be on the roster as well then?





    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1
    Writer: AL EWING
    Artist: JUANN CABAL
    IN 2020 -- SPACE IS THE PLACE!
    Once, they were a team of misfits. Now they're a family, and they've earned their peace. But the universe is not a peaceful place -- and it's only getting worse. The Great Empires are in turmoil. The rule of law is dead. And amidst the chaos, the Gods of Olympus have returned -- harbingers of a new age of war, reborn to burn their mark on the stars themselves. Someone has to guard the galaxy - but who will accept the mission? And will they survive it? Al Ewing (IMMORTAL HULK) and Juann Cabal (FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN) bring you in on the ground floor of a whole Marvel Universe of action and suspense!
    If Hercules is on the team, id Have another reason to check this out.

  5. #5
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If anyone can pull off the Guardians as a grand, cosmic, Space Opera, it's Ewing.

    Kinda surprised with all the current solicits of Rocket dying, he's front-and-center on this cover.

    I hope this is the real Phyla and Moondragon and not AU versions. Hopefully the larger roster has more women too.

    Glad Rich is still in there.

    Why do I foresee Noh-Varr and Peter not getting along?
    Based on Phyla’s outfit on the cover, it’s still the AU Moondragon and Phyla.

  6. #6

    Default

    Disappointed. I was hoping that he would do something with Dwayne Taylor.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  7. #7
    Incredible Member Harpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Marvel also uploaded their entire Next Big Thing panel where the announcement was made. Guardians talk starts around 7:00.



    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope this is the real Phyla and Moondragon and not AU versions. Hopefully the larger roster has more women too.
    Gamora seems likely to still be on the team, and Ewing's story from the recent annual that looks like it was all set-up for this run had the revelation that Avril Kincaid was still alive somewhere. I expect her to join at some point as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Disappointed. I was hoping that he would do something with Dwayne Taylor.
    He could still become a Guardian!

  8. #8
    Incredible Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Surprised Cates wasn’t on longer, I thought he’d said he had longer plans than just the 12 issues.

    That said, Cates’ run has been abit too in the middle for me. Ewing is a very good shout, I like what he did with Nova in the short Guardians Annual.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Gamora seems likely to still be on the team, and Ewing's story from the recent annual that looks like it was all set-up for this run had the revelation that Avril Kincaid was still alive somewhere. I expect her to join at some point as well.
    I don't know if we still need Gamora on the team, but I wouldn't be against it.

    I don't give a lick about Kincaid but I know she has some fans. Maybe Ewing can do something interesting with her and Wendell.

  11. #11
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I’ll definitely give this a try given that I’ve following Cates, and Dugan before him. It feels like the problem with Guardians the last few years is that none of the writers have really had a strong pitch for what they wanted to do. Hopefully Ewing has a bigger plan. As for the larger cast, I won’t hold my breath after how they marketed the Cates book before it came out, only to throw them all in a black hole in issue #1.

  12. #12
    Incredible Member Harpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultramorph View Post
    I’ll definitely give this a try given that I’ve following Cates, and Dugan before him. It feels like the problem with Guardians the last few years is that none of the writers have really had a strong pitch for what they wanted to do. Hopefully Ewing has a bigger plan. As for the larger cast, I won’t hold my breath after how they marketed the Cates book before it came out, only to throw them all in a black hole in issue #1.
    They did say after that first Cates cover got revealed that only some of the characters on it would be Guardians, whereas here they're saying immediately that there's more team members not on the cover.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if we still need Gamora on the team, but I wouldn't be against it.

    I don't give a lick about Kincaid but I know she has some fans. Maybe Ewing can do something interesting with her and Wendell.
    I'm willing to give Kincaid a chance, as long as it doesn't in any way hamper Rich Rider's Nova.

  14. #14
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I really like what Cates has been doing with the book, and I liked what Duggan did. A bit sad none of them stayed longer, but Al Ewing probably can do great cosmic things after what we saw in Ultimates. Let's hope it's real he has ideas for a long run.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He probably did, but then he got offered Thor.
    I'm sure that's the case. Sorry Cates couldn't have a longer stay on GotG as I've really been digging his run but the idea of Ewing taking over is very exciting. I expect he has great things in store.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •