Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Oh wow, now this I can’t wait to read! Glad marvel is giving some spotlight to Johnny and Danny now. Hopefully it’ll turn out good!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Oh wow, now this I can’t wait to read! Glad marvel is giving some spotlight to Johnny and Danny now. Hopefully it’ll turn out good!
    First seven issues of the current run by Ed Brisson are out as of last week, I believe, so you can dive right in and start catching up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I can agree with most of those. Danny as a Spirit/Knight of Corruption works as a means to distinguish him from Johnny --- and it also enabled him to save Johnny from the hellish corruption consuming him --- but he is better as a Ghost Rider. And yes, with Alejandra being among the dead Ghost Riders in hell . . . well, I'd like to see her come riding back, too.
    Really don't like what they've been doing with Danny since they brought back Johnny during Civil War, Marvel just completely sidelined him and gave all his powers & appearance to Johnny. The Spirit/Knight of Corruption could have been an interesting concept if introduced with another character, but as it presently is it's just the latest attempt to turn Ketch into something he's not so that Johnny can maintain the mantle of Ghost Rider. For that matter, the last time I checked Vengeance (Kowalski) was supposed to be the Spirit of Corruption so what the hell's going on with him? Not like Marvel's really bothered to do anything with that iteration of Vengeance since he popped up and the few time he's appeared it's largely been as a pushover.

What's unfortunate is that the idea that all the different lords of hell having/making their own Ghost Rider sounds like a really cool idea on paper since it allows for multiple characters to take on the mantle, which could have been a good way to explain Robbie Reyes running around the same time as Johnny & co. At the very least it would give you the potential for at least 7 different Ghost Riders, from their the main issue would be figuring out how to distinguish them from one another so that they're not all carbon copies and actually have different abilities. Modeling each of them after a particular sin and/or element could have been an interesting way to manage it. It's kinda sad when DC did a fairly decent job of exploring a similar idea with their character Brimstone.

I honestly don't care much for Alejandra, I remember being pretty excited when she first came on the scene but her caustic attitude and how antagonistic she came off towards everyone (particularly Johnny) kinda killed the character for me. I could see Marvel bringing her back and while that really wouldn't bother me I feel like all the drama and addict like behavior Marvel has been putting Ketch through would have make a lot more sense with her given how badly Alejandra wanted to be Ghost Rider and everything she did while she was. Still I could see her working well as the Ghost Rider to another hell lord like Lilith, Hela, etc.

BANNED

I’m hoping we get Ketch GR back and less of king Johnny now, he’s the best written, designed and liked GR.

Enjoying the book so far and sales seem solid with a rise with issue 6, GR is just a fun, mad old school comic.

Once Kuder goes though we need a top solid artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Not like Marvel's really bothered to do anything with that iteration of Vengeance since he popped up and the few time he's appeared it's largely been as a pushover.
    He was supposed to appear in Empyre tie-in, but that got axed, not sure if Brisson has any other plans for him.

An intergalactic war comes crashing into a supernatural showdown between the Spirit of Corruption and the Spirit of Pollution! But who will be left standing?
    Last edited by Sataniel; 07-14-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Never liked Ghost Rider(s) but Blazing Skull is awesome.

Really don't like what they've been doing with Danny since they brought back Johnny during Civil War, Marvel just completely sidelined him and gave all his powers & appearance to Johnny. The Spirit/Knight of Corruption could have been an interesting concept if introduced with another character, but as it presently is it's just the latest attempt to turn Ketch into something he's not so that Johnny can maintain the mantle of Ghost Rider. For that matter, the last time I checked Vengeance (Kowalski) was supposed to be the Spirit of Corruption so what the hell's going on with him? Not like Marvel's really bothered to do anything with that iteration of Vengeance since he popped up and the few time he's appeared it's largely been as a pushover.

What's unfortunate is that the idea that all the different lords of hell having/making their own Ghost Rider sounds like a really cool idea on paper since it allows for multiple characters to take on the mantle, which could have been a good way to explain Robbie Reyes running around the same time as Johnny & co. At the very least it would give you the potential for at least 7 different Ghost Riders, from their the main issue would be figuring out how to distinguish them from one another so that they're not all carbon copies and actually have different abilities. Modeling each of them after a particular sin and/or element could have been an interesting way to manage it. It's kinda sad when DC did a fairly decent job of exploring a similar idea with their character Brimstone.

I honestly don't care much for Alejandra, I remember being pretty excited when she first came on the scene but her caustic attitude and how antagonistic she came off towards everyone (particularly Johnny) kinda killed the character for me. I could see Marvel bringing her back and while that really wouldn't bother me I feel like all the drama and addict like behavior Marvel has been putting Ketch through would have make a lot more sense with her given how badly Alejandra wanted to be Ghost Rider and everything she did while she was. Still I could see her working well as the Ghost Rider to another hell lord like Lilith, Hela, etc.
    I can see your points there. I did like it somewhat better when Danny was reintroduced as a rival Ghost Rider empowered by the angel Zadkiel --- who turned out to be just as bad as, if not worse than, any devil --- during Jason Aaron's run. The blue flames made him distinct from Johnny while still maintaining the Ghost Rider look.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I can see your points there. I did like it somewhat better when Danny was reintroduced as a rival Ghost Rider empowered by the angel Zadkiel --- who turned out to be just as bad as, if not worse than, any devil --- during Jason Aaron's run. The blue flames made him distinct from Johnny while still maintaining the Ghost Rider look.
    This. Probably the best visual distinction while allowing both to be Ghost Riders. Even if a story reason was created to do away with Zadkiel based power having Danny with the blue flame and Johnny the Red is perfect.
    When Alejandra was also in the mix her dominant flame color was orange.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Yep.

They should of kept Danny as the blue flaming skull Ghost Rider. Also Johnny should of kept the Hellfire shotgun as his primary weapon and Danny should be the one welding the chain as his weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This. Probably the best visual distinction while allowing both to be Ghost Riders. Even if a story reason was created to do away with Zadkiel based power having Danny with the blue flame and Johnny the Red is perfect.
    When Alejandra was also in the mix her dominant flame color was orange.
    Johnny and Danny could've been "Red Oni, Blue Oni." And Alejandra throwing in orange flame would be great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Yep.

They should of kept Danny as the blue flaming skull Ghost Rider. Also Johnny should of kept the Hellfire shotgun as his primary weapon and Danny should be the one welding the chain as his weapon of choice.
    That would be another great way of distinguishing them. Danny uses the chain and Johnny channels his hellfire through the shotgun.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Yep.

Pretty much what I think too. Aesthetics aside giving Johnny the hellfire shotgun and him having stronger hellfire (or at least better fine control) overall would have better served to both distinguish him from his brother and compensate for the abilities he shouldn't/wouldn't have like Danny's hellfire chain & Penance Stare. I mean even Alejandra had her hell sickle (and I think that one padded glove) to help separate her from the other two, from there it should have been a simple matter of thinking of how to make her & Robbie unique in terms of powers.

Honestly I wish they would bring Caleb back, always thought he was cool and particularly relevant given the current landscape this year.

Honestly I wish they would bring Caleb back, always thought he was cool and particularly relevant given the current landscape this year.
    Caleb, that is reaching back into the well. I don't even recall where things were left with him. Marvel did that GR#94 release over a decade ago that was addressing some of that. I have it but not at my current house.
    I recall that was during the Marvel bankruptcy and #93 was an abrupt end. The writers had said they were ramping up for Danny to take back the GR mantle from Caleb in #100. That #94 was meant to be a serious closure to Caleb etc etc but I don't recall what happened now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Caleb, that is reaching back into the well. I don't even recall where things were left with him. Marvel did that GR#94 release over a decade ago that was addressing some of that. I have it but not at my current house.
    I recall that was during the Marvel bankruptcy and #93 was an abrupt end. The writers had said they were ramping up for Danny to take back the GR mantle from Caleb in #100. That #94 was meant to be a serious closure to Caleb etc etc but I don't recall what happened now.
    You're thinking of Noble Kale, who I also wouldn't mind seeing them bring back albeit with a few tweaks.

Caleb was the Ghost Rider introduced in the Trail of Tears mini from the end of the American Civil War whose family were tortured & killed in front of him by racist and became a legitimate spirit of vengeance after they killed him. Dude was basically Marvel's answer to the Crow in that he was actually what the Ghost Rider has always been describe as being, with a little bit of Candyman thrown in for good measure. The concept was basically black Ghost Rider riding a horse and who's chains made a little more sense thematically.

Thank you for the clarification, yes I was thinking of Kale.

I've honestly forgotten about Caleb then. Maybe I've not even read it as your recap didn't jog any memories. The covers(thanks comicvine.com) by Crain I recall but I just don't know if I read that.

Book is done.

https://twitter.com/edbrisson/status...44870373064705

Had 2 issues planned, the Empyre tie in and whatever was planned for the Infinite Summer One shots but yeah...

I'm already guessing we'll see Johnny in Aaron's Avengers soon enough.