Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, that really sounds convenient for Waititi .

It's actually kind of ironic that he killed the Warriors Three off as brazenly as he did because I feel like they would've fit his comedy style well. But that's just me.
    I feel like he wanted to start fresh with as little baggage as possible. Also prior movies didnt establish them as great characters to begin with. I mean Vandral changed actors and most people didnt notice. So he probaly thought they were perfect sacrafical lambs to help set the stakes for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    A lot of people won't be happy, but I don't think Hemsworth stays on as Thor without it being more comedic. I'm ok with it, I thought Ragnarok was fun.
    Not a big fan of Ragnarok as comedy. Dead last on my list of Marvel movies and the very epitome of what people criticize about the MCU and in a movie that had tremendous dramatic potential. But I understand why they did it. The Thor movies were not on the top of the heap of the MCU until they threw in the towel and went for almost total comedy. Not that I am opposed to comedy and like the touches of it in the MCU but the death of an entire race isn't really comedy. But, again, I understand why they are doing it again. Because it worked big time already.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

This was pretty much a given. I wasn't exactly fond of Ragnarok. Yes, Hemsworth has great comedic timing. Yes, Waititi is renowned for his comedy. However, any dramatic weight Ragnarok may have had (which was plenty given the themes and plot threads it featured), was completely overshadowed by the excessive comedy/slapstick. The comedy should have been used to contrast the darker aspects of the script.

Can Thor have a bit of a comedic bent to him? Absolutely. But the Thor in Ragnarok was less Thor and more Hercules.

Not really sure which storylines they may adapt, or be influenced by, with Thor 4. The suggestion of Siege is likely never going to happen. Gorr The God Butcher is also a story they'll never adapt. Both are far too dark and don't fit with the comedic tones Marvel seems to favour at the moment. If they do, expect them to be neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    This was pretty much a given. I wasn't exactly fond of Ragnarok. Yes, Hemsworth has great comedic timing. Yes, Waititi is renowned for his comedy. However, any dramatic weight Ragnarok may have had (which was plenty given the themes and plot threads it featured), was completely overshadowed by the excessive comedy/slapstick. The comedy should have been used to contrast the darker aspects of the script.

Can Thor have a bit of a comedic bent to him? Absolutely. But the Thor in Ragnarok was less Thor and more Hercules.

Not really sure which storylines they may adapt, or be influenced by, with Thor 4. The suggestion of Siege is likely never going to happen. Gorr The God Butcher is also a story they'll never adapt. Both are far too dark and don't fit with the comedic tones Marvel seems to favour at the moment. If they do, expect them to be neutered.
    I agree with this in some small sense. Because while I loved the movie and thought it worked great as is. There are some amazing dramatic/Emotional beats in this movie that is undercut by either moving on to maintain the pace or a gag. One of my favorite MCU scene is that Elevator scene with Loki and Thor. Waititi did a great job with the drama hopefuly he has more confidence now to maybe even the movie out a little bit and not undercut the impact . Maybe use Thor humor more like endgame and Infinity war. He was still the same character but they. Balanced the tone better. But honestly I'm down for another straight up fun comedy with Thor if that's what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I feel like he wanted to start fresh with as little baggage as possible. Also prior movies didnt establish them as great characters to begin with. I mean Vandral changed actors and most people didnt notice. So he probaly thought they were perfect sacrafical lambs to help set the stakes for the movie.
    I mean, I get it, they weren't really developed or used well so it wasn't a huge loss but I would've rather have kept them around and done something more with them then just kill them off as quickly as they did.

Especially when "The Warriors Three will be remembered" sounded just so hollow.
    I agree with this in some small sense. Because while I loved the movie and thought it worked great as is. There are some amazing dramatic/Emotional beats in this movie that is undercut by either moving on to maintain the pace or a gag. One of my favorite MCU scene is that Elevator scene with Loki and Thor. Waititi did a great job with the drama hopefuly he has more confidence now to maybe even the movie out a little bit and not undercut the impact . Maybe use Thor humor more like endgame and Infinity war. He was still the same character but they. Balanced the tone better. But honestly I'm down for another straight up fun comedy with Thor if that's what they do.
    I really could've done without Korg's joke after Asgard blew up.

Astonishing Member

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun and solid film for what it was. I just feel it got too excessive with the humour at times. Having said that, It certainly handled the comedy better than GoTG Vol 2. I can rewatch Ragnarok. The same cannot be said for Guardian's 2.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I get it, they weren't really developed or used well so it wasn't a huge loss but I would've rather have kept them around and done something more with them then just kill them off as quickly as they did.

Especially when "The Warriors Three will be remembered" sounded just so hollow.

I really could've done without Korg's joke after Asgard blew up.
    Korg wasn't so much a character. He was just comedy relief. For him to have made a impact, they needed to have used him sparingly. That way, when he does appear with the comedy, it has much more of an impact. He was introduced halfway into the film and, by the time it had finished, he was absolutely annoying the hell out of me. It should have been the opposite. I should have left the cinema going, "Damn, that Korg was fun!"

I am not surprised at the news but still very disappointed.

I guess after Thor 3 and Endgame's fat Thor. Thor is further going to go down the lighthearted comedy road.

I didn't like Thor Ragnarok when I first saw it... but when I saw it again on blu-ray it won me over.

I guess I can be happy about this!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Did anyone truly enjoy Dark World? I don’t mean did you find it entertaining or did you think some of the performances were good. I mean overall, is it a movie you actively rank as one of the better movies? Because from where I am standing Marvel had a choice. Badly made, serious Thor movies that don’t really understand the character or the world of Thor, or movies like Ragnarok, that at least understand the aspiration and joy of Thor, and play to the emergent strength of Hemsworth as a dry comedic actor.

I mean, look at Kat Dennings in Dark World. Her very small part in the first movie lead to her being more in the spotlight and the main source of comic relief and she was terrible. Probably not her fault, the material was not great. The movie was not great.

The things that did work in Dark World were Hemsworth and Hiddleston. Some of the scenes in Asgard reminded us that this was a passable fantasy even when it lacked the charm of the first movie. Not much else really worked. The story was paper thin, the sense of threat was non-existant, the Infinity Stone tie-in felt forced, the final act was pointless and overall it is right at the bottom of the pile perhaps just above The Incredible Hulk. Because I will occasionally rewatch it and I don’t ever plan on rewatching Hulk.

So surely there can be very few MCU fans that would actually want a return to that kind of movie? Even the first movie was not great. It is saved by the direction, Branagh was sorely missed in Dark World. He knows how to get the best from his actors and he has a great eye for tone and unifying the look and feel of a movie. He was probably already being ear marked for Cinderella which I have to say was a much better movie than any of the Thor movies.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Weird people complain about the wrong thing about Thor Ragnarok to me. Thor Dark World is the closest thing to MCU bomb everyone crying that hate Thor 3 , well Thor 1 was average, Thor 2 stunk. They really had no choice but do something different and it worked. The only thing wrong about Thor Ragnarok is the name, If it was called Thor Hela's Revenge or Planet Thor then half complaints on the internet about the movie would be gone. Even though the movie has Sutur bringing end to Asgard yeah it probably should have been name something different. If you are mad about the comedy Thor was mostly serious in Thor 1 and 2 and Avengers 1 and 2. It wasn't amazing results but Thor 3 and Endgame people are actual talk about Thor. People didn't connect with Thor as character until after Ragnarok.

The biggest problem with Thor Ragnarok is that wastes Planet Hulk and also in the process kills a version of World War Hulk. I don't care that Universal is holding up things make stuff stupid,Marvel made movies with them before. They can figure out how to make movies with them again. Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are too good stories to waste and that is biggest tragedy. Thor being funny.Meh.It worked. This Halloween you are going to see tons of men with a Blonde wig and Hammer being Fat Thor. There is already Ton of cosplay right now.

I think Thor 3 might be the most divisive amongst comic fans, but from a general audience standpoint this move is a no brainer and met with applause.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The biggest problem with Thor Ragnarok is that wastes Planet Hulk and also in the process kills a version of World War Hulk. I don't care that Universal is holding up things make stuff stupid,Marvel made movies with them before. They can figure out how to make movies with them again. Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are too good stories to waste and that is biggest tragedy. Thor being funny.Meh.It worked. This Halloween you are going to see tons of men with a Blonde wig and Hammer being Fat Thor. There is already Ton of cosplay right now.
    Well this isn’t quite how things are. Marvel did indeed make movies that Universal had a distribution deal for. That was acceptable for Marvel back then. Then they were bought by Disney and there is zero chance that Disney will allow someone else to distribute their movies. So unless Universal unilaterally hand over the distribution rights, or unless Disney and Universal can agree on a sale of those rights, or some other deal that allows those rights to change hands permanently, we will not see another Hulk movie. There isn”t some magical settlement that can be made. Disney won’t do a deal unless it allows them to own the rights, and nobody is currently crying out for a new Hulk movie so why spend that money?

The situation is similar to Indiana Jones with Paramount, but there is a demand, (for some reason I will never understand), for new Indy movies. Deals can be done there. Disney/Marvel can meet the demand for Hulk stories very easily without Hulk movies.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-17-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Will it be as unfunny as Ragnarok?
    Hopefully even more unfunny.

Retired

It amuses me that in certain parts of England this movie will be called "For Four."