Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    49

    Default Dr. Doom Vs. Dormammu With A Twist

    Dr. Doom and Dormamu have all their normal abilities and gear stripped from them by the plot gods. Instead, they are granted Chartreuse Lantern Power Rings with which to fight.

    Chartreuse Lantern Power Rings are powered by the wielder's Ego.

    Bonus: Who would be the most powerful Chartreuse Lantern of them all?

  2. #2
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Dr. Doom and Dormamu have all their normal abilities and gear stripped from them by the plot gods. Instead, they are granted Chartreuse Lantern Power Rings with which to fight.

    Chartreuse Lantern Power Rings are powered by the wielder's Ego.

    Bonus: Who would be the most powerful Chartreuse Lantern of them all?
    The OPs name is somewhat odd, but the idea is awesome. However, the Dorm trumps the Doom here. Doom knows beings are stronger or more capable, hence all the power-jacking. The Dorm already believes he's the be-all end-all.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;"
    - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."

    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics."
    -Captain Morgan

  3. #3
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    I'm with big on this.

    Doctor Doom has a huge ego, but tends to lead with his even greater intellect and strategic ability.

    Furnace Face has a huge intellect and strategic ability (no, really, he does), but tends to lead with his even greater ego.

    It's a fight, but I'm betting on The Dorm.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  4. #4

    Default

    *finger guns Doom to death*
    "So full of hate were our eyes
    That none of us could see
    Our war would yield countless dead
    But never victory
    So let us cast arms aside
    And like discard our wrath
    Thou, in faith, will keep us safe
    Whilst we find the path"

    -The Covenant Writ of Union

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Ptrvc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    The OPs name is somewhat odd, but the idea is awesome. However, the Dorm trumps the Doom here. Doom knows beings are stronger or more capable, hence all the power-jacking. The Dorm already believes he's the be-all end-all.
    Eh, from what I remember Dormies has done his own powerjacking and admitted he wants none of Shuma, though I'm less sure if the latter.

  6. #6
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Eh, from what I remember Dormies has done his own powerjacking and admitted he wants none of Shuma, though I'm less sure if the latter.
    The Dorm, when seriously upset and feeling put-upon, does things like flat-out attack Eternity (with hilarious results). At other times, he basically gives up all of his advantages (when his victims are utterly helpless before him) just to show off, and ends up losing his prize (the Earth Dimension) because of that.

    In recent years he has become somewhat more...cautious, one might say, but still seems sadly vulnerable to having his ego prodded, and to over-estimating his own ability against that of others (witness his most recent attempt to take control of Galactus...not his best moment).

    Doom has bucketloads of Ego as well, and while it does cause him to over-reach from time to time, there's as many a time (or more) where he enters stuff really carefully, with one heck of a plan behind him.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  7. #7

    Default

    Oh? What happened with Galactus? I remember him altering the guy with magic, but what was the end result?
    "So full of hate were our eyes
    That none of us could see
    Our war would yield countless dead
    But never victory
    So let us cast arms aside
    And like discard our wrath
    Thou, in faith, will keep us safe
    Whilst we find the path"

    -The Covenant Writ of Union

  8. #8
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Oh? What happened with Galactus? I remember him altering the guy with magic, but what was the end result?
    It came as no surprise.

    spoilers:
    Furnace Face over-reached himself again. He figured he was taking control of Galactus, but Galactus...remained out of his control, and essentially seems to have absorbed the Dorm. It's all part of Mephisto's master plan, apparently. :P
    end of spoilers
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  9. #9

    Default

    Schemes and plots aside, I do appreciate when the author gives Big G his due as the cosmic freak of nature he is supposed to be.
    "So full of hate were our eyes
    That none of us could see
    Our war would yield countless dead
    But never victory
    So let us cast arms aside
    And like discard our wrath
    Thou, in faith, will keep us safe
    Whilst we find the path"

    -The Covenant Writ of Union

  10. #10
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Schemes and plots aside, I do appreciate when the author gives Big G his due as the cosmic freak of nature he is supposed to be.
    It's good that way. A mildly annoyed Galactus was going up against Clea and Strange (Strange these days seeming to approach his old days of glory) and they would have been toast in seconds had they not managed to get him to talk (and he didn't seem to be trying THAT hard).

    It's a little irritating, though, that the writer keeps going on about how Galactus is a creature of 'SCIENCE!' who knows nothing of magic and the other realms when...this patently isn't true (Galactus being a cosmic being, not 'SCIENCE!' and being pretty knowledgeable of other dimensions, magic, etc...). :P Also, that the beings of the other realms (including Furnace Face) know nothing of Galactus because he is a creature of 'SCIENCE!' (the Dorm is fully appraised of the Earth Dimension, knows all about the Celestials, etc). The writing fails in this regard.

    And eating magic is kind of altering him. When...there's magic in the worlds of the Earth Dimension as well, and he doesn't get altered by that.

    So lack of research is really hurting the story, in my opinion.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's good that way. A mildly annoyed Galactus was going up against Clea and Strange (Strange these days seeming to approach his old days of glory) and they would have been toast in seconds had they not managed to get him to talk (and he didn't seem to be trying THAT hard).

    It's a little irritating, though, that the writer keeps going on about how Galactus is a creature of 'SCIENCE!' who knows nothing of magic and the other realms when...this patently isn't true (Galactus being a cosmic being, not 'SCIENCE!' and being pretty knowledgeable of other dimensions, magic, etc...). :P Also, that the beings of the other realms (including Furnace Face) know nothing of Galactus because he is a creature of 'SCIENCE!' (the Dorm is fully appraised of the Earth Dimension, knows all about the Celestials, etc). The writing fails in this regard.

    And eating magic is kind of altering him. When...there's magic in the worlds of the Earth Dimension as well, and he doesn't get altered by that.

    So lack of research is really hurting the story, in my opinion.
    Yes that's Black Panther vs. the Silver Surfer and Batman kicks Wonder Woman in the stomach territory in the sense that, whenever the writer starts making up a whole big explanation for why something can happen, you know you are in total P.I.S. territory where the writer is just determined to force a story or confrontation to come out the way he wants it to instead of letting the events *to a certain degree* flow from the nature and abilities of the characters.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  12. #12
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    17,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's good that way. A mildly annoyed Galactus was going up against Clea and Strange (Strange these days seeming to approach his old days of glory) and they would have been toast in seconds had they not managed to get him to talk (and he didn't seem to be trying THAT hard).

    It's a little irritating, though, that the writer keeps going on about how Galactus is a creature of 'SCIENCE!' who knows nothing of magic and the other realms when...this patently isn't true (Galactus being a cosmic being, not 'SCIENCE!' and being pretty knowledgeable of other dimensions, magic, etc...). :P Also, that the beings of the other realms (including Furnace Face) know nothing of Galactus because he is a creature of 'SCIENCE!' (the Dorm is fully appraised of the Earth Dimension, knows all about the Celestials, etc). The writing fails in this regard.

    And eating magic is kind of altering him. When...there's magic in the worlds of the Earth Dimension as well, and he doesn't get altered by that.

    So lack of research is really hurting the story, in my opinion.
    They must not know about that time Galactus got bored and started eating Hell.
    "... and when the Golden Toad started to sing, there was no turning back." - grampagen (Ochazuke)

    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

  13. #13
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes that's Black Panther vs. the Silver Surfer and Batman kicks Wonder Woman in the stomach territory in the sense that, whenever the writer starts making up a whole big explanation for why something can happen, you know you are in total P.I.S. territory where the writer is just determined to force a story or confrontation to come out the way he wants it to instead of letting the events *to a certain degree* flow from the nature and abilities of the characters.
    Pretty much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    They must not know about that time Galactus got bored and started eating Hell.
    Exactly. Galactus chats with Eternity, Death, other Cosmics from time to time. He has thrown down with Odin, knows Asgard. He fought Agamotto, as I recall, and did the whole 'I'm Galactus, if I want your Realm for lunch I'll have it' thing with Mephisto.

    The idea that he is completely unaware of magic and magical beings is ridiculous, and is a real problem with the story - it might sound great to people who know neither Strange nor Galactus, but for people with experience in either character it's a real head-scratching moment.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,940

    Default

    I mean, dude had Cosmic Awareness and was standing in the same Galaxy as Dr. Strange, so even if he somehow didn't know magic he could, y'know, decide that he wants to know magic and pluck it from Stephan's head and there's little to nothing Doc could do to stop him.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Ptrvc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Pretty much.



    Exactly. Galactus chats with Eternity, Death, other Cosmics from time to time. He has thrown down with Odin, knows Asgard. He fought Agamotto, as I recall, and did the whole 'I'm Galactus, if I want your Realm for lunch I'll have it' thing with Mephisto.

    The idea that he is completely unaware of magic and magical beings is ridiculous, and is a real problem with the story - it might sound great to people who know neither Strange nor Galactus, but for people with experience in either character it's a real head-scratching moment.
    Obviously Galactus has decided to use the the Peter Dickerson vs Ommadon defense against magic. Deny it hard enough and it can't hurt you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •