Mighty Member

Default new to Shazam...

so naturally because of the movie My interest in Shazam is piqued. Growing up I was a Superman/Batman fan but I'd heard of the character I just wasn't that familiar with him. But he seems to be a good character with a cool mythos. I find it interesting that when it came out, his book outsold Supes for a time. Any good story recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    so naturally because of the movie My interest in Shazam is piqued. Growing up I was a Superman/Batman fan but I'd heard of the character I just wasn't that familiar with him. But he seems to be a good character with a cool mythos. I find it interesting that when it came out, his book outsold Supes for a time. Any good story recommendations?
    Here are the main Shazam! stories:

1940 - Here comces Captain Marvel - Whiz Comics #2 - First appearance of Captain Marvel
    1942 - Attack of Captain Nazi - Master Comcis #21 + Whiz Comics #25 + Master Comics #22-23 - Birth of Captain Marvel Jr.
    1942 - Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. Proudly Present Mary Marvel - Captain Marvel Adventures #18 - Introduction of Mary Marvel
    1945 - The Mighty Marvels Join Forces! - Marvel Family #1 - First appearance of Black Adam
    1947 - The Sivana Family Strikes at the Marvel Family - Marvel Family #10 - A travel throu time
    1953 - Captain Marvel Battles the World - Captain Marvel Adventures #148 - Captain Marvel has to convince the Humans to live in peace
    1973 - The Greatest stories of the world's mightiest mortals - Shazam! #8 - including the origins of the Shazam! Familly
    1974 - Make way for Captain Thunder! - Superman #276 - The fight to decide the Super-Hero Championship of the World
    1977 - Ibac Meets Aunt Minerva! - Shazam! #29 - An aliance of all Shazam's vilains
    1984 - With One Magic Word! - DC Comics Presents Annual #3 - Shazam! gets his powers stollen
    1994 - The Power of Shazam! - One-shot - Graphic novel that re-establishes the origin of Captain Marvel. Its success spawned The Power of Shazam ongoing series.
    1995 - Fade to Black - The Flash #107 - Flash and Captain Marvel have to team up - by Mark Waid
    1998 - JLA: World Without Grown-Ups - JLA: World Without Grown-Ups #1-2 - Grown-ups disapear and the Young Justice asks Billy Batson for his help. Sets up the upcoming Young Justice ongoing
    2000 - Shazam! The Power of Hope - One-shot - Origins of Shazam! by Paul Dini
    2006 - Superman/Shazam!: First Thunder - Superman/Shazam! #1-4 - The first meeting of The Last Son of Krypton and Earth's Mightiest Mortal
    2007 - Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil - Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil #1-4 - by Jeff Smith
    2011 - That Holiday Feeling - All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #2 - Captain Marvel has to come help Batman
    2013 - Shazam! New52 - Justice League New52 #7-11, 0, 14-16, 18-21 - Backstory of Justice League and new origins of Shazam! by Geoff Johns
    2015 - New Thunderworld Adventures - The Multiversity: Thunderworld Adventures - Journey to Earth-5 – A.K.A. Thunderworld! - Part of Multiversity by Grant Morrison
    2015 - Return of the Thunder - Convergence Shazam! #1-2 - Fawcet City vs. Gotham by Gaslight
    2019 - Shazam! And the Seven Magic Lands! - Shazam #1 - All new serie by Geoff Johns

For your information. The Moderna Age Comics start in 1985-86. So All the stories before are Goden/Siver/Bronze age comics.
    For your information once more, before Shazam! was called Captain Marvel. But DC can't use this name anymore.
    For your informations again, the movie is based on the New52 version of Shazam!.
    For a shorter list:
    2015 - Shazam!: A Celebration of 75 Years
    1994 - The Power of Shazam!
    2006 - Superman/Shazam!: First Thunder
    2007 - Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil
    2013 - Shazam! New52
    2019 - Shazam! And the Seven Magic Lands! - new ongoing serie

Have Fun.

The New 52 one is fantastic. It's available in a tpb and I recommend it highly.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Mighty Member

Funny enough it was while watching a play through of the Injustice game on youtube as well as the prequel comic series that got me further interested as well. The part where evil Superman kills Billy was so sad...

Funny enough it was while watching a play through of the Injustice game on youtube as well as the prequel comic series that got me further interested as well. The part where evil Superman kills Billy was so sad...
    I really should play Injustice 2.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I mostly know the characters from The Power of Shazam! graphic novel and ongoing series of the 90s. Good stuff.

so naturally because of the movie My interest in Shazam is piqued.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    The New 52 one is fantastic. It's available in a tpb and I recommend it highly.
    Yes, If you enjoyed the movie, absolutely read - Shazam! Vol. 1 (The New 52): by Geoff Johns (Author), Gary Frank (Illustrator)
    DC comics - https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...shazam-vol-1-0
    Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Vol-Ne...s=books&sr=1-1

Wonderfull story, which (with some twists) the movie is based on.

Also you should be picking up the current ongoing, which recently launched , and is a continuation of that story.
    It's up to issue #8, so if you don't mind buying 7 issues back, it's a great time to be a fan and jump on to SHAZAM!
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-18-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I mostly know the characters from The Power of Shazam! graphic novel and ongoing series of the 90s. Good stuff.
    Agreed. Categorically speaking, you can never go wrong with Ordway's contemporary spin on SHAZAM! (either GN or ongoing).

The only problem with the 90s Power of Shazam!, is that it can be a bit tricky to track down. Ordering online most sellers try to sell it for way more than it's worth. I have had a lot of luck finding most issues in dollar boxes or back issue boxes at my local comic store.

Shazam and the Moster Society of Evil is fantastic! Highly recommend! Also, the new Shazam! series would be easy to jump in on. If you have seen the movie, then you already know the characters.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The only problem with the 90s Power of Shazam!, is that it can be a bit tricky to track down. Ordering online most sellers try to sell it for way more than it's worth. I have had a lot of luck finding most issues in dollar boxes or back issue boxes at my local comic store.

Shazam and the Moster Society of Evil is fantastic! Highly recommend! Also, the new Shazam! series would be easy to jump in on. If you have seen the movie, then you already know the characters.
    Luckily enough, an advance solicit for the first new trade collecting the series popped up a few days ago.

If you're totally new to Shazam, I'd track down the Shazam: Greatest Stories Ever Told trade or go with the Shazam by Geoff Johns trade. The former is an eclectic bunch of stories from across the character's history, the latter the modern origin and basis for the film.

Mighty Member

Yeah thanks, I also find the supporting characters Mary, Freddy Black Adam interesting as well.