Default 25th Anniversary Knightfall TPBs

I just wanted to give a huge shoutout to DC for FINALLY giving us the entire Knightfall saga in omnibus and TPB form. The previous editions were on terrible paper and were missing critical issues.

Aside from Sword of Azrael there is pretty much nothing they left out. I also loved the paper quality of the TPBs as the semi-gloss semi-matte preserves the look and feel of the newsprint, but none of the draw backs.

THANK YOU DC!!!

Spectacular Member

Why would they leave out Sword of Azrael??

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Why would they leave out Sword of Azrael??
    Because it's not really truly necessary to the story. Knightfall is all about Bane and breaking and healing Batman.

Now it would have been better if it had been included if only to provide context on Jean Paul Valley is constantly having visions.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
    Because it's not really truly necessary to the story. Knightfall is all about Bane and breaking and healing Batman.

Now it would have been better if it had been included if only to provide context on Jean Paul Valley is constantly having visions.
    I would argue SoA is absolutely necessary to Knightfall. Without it, Jean Paul just appears in Batman with no context, and when he goes crazy and searching for Lehah (sp) you have no clue who that is without having read SoA.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

JPV doesn't 'constantly have visions' actually. That didn't start to happen until KnightQuest forward.They were only happening because of conflicting points of view
    from 'The System,' and the standards he is supposed to follow as Batman.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Fantastic Member

Knightfall is about Bane and Batman, but the rest of the saga overwhelmingly draws on the mythos established in the Sword of Azrael mini. There's really no excuse for leaving it out, except that apparently DC didn't want to pay Joe Quesada any more royalties.

They could have included the Bloodlines annuals like the new Death of Superman trades did, and Legends of the Dark Knight Annual 2 (featuring Jim and Sarah's wedding, the return of Arnold Flass, and an interesting Denny O'Neil villain) takes place between Batman 485 and 487. There's a great two-parter in Showcase '94 3-4 showing the Arkham inmates being transported to Blackgate. Amazing art from Tim Sale and the first story to flesh out Blackgate as a real place. More essential than the Penguin Showcase story they did end up including, in my opinion.

Prodigal could've had the Oracle story from Showcase '94 12 which follows up on her involvement from earlier in the storyline and has an appearance from Dick's Batman. And lastly, they really could've tried to place the Knightquest Search issues properly in the midst of Crusade as opposed to shunting them off to their own volume. I'm iffy about Alfred's Return and Vengeance II in the Troika volume because those actually took place in the midst of later continuity and now who knows what's gonna happen if they ever collect that era.

And of course there are out-of-order pages in the Knightquest omnibus. BUT, all this is to say, yes, DC actually did a pretty decent job all things considered. These are the volumes we should have got in 2012.

EDIT: Shadow of the Bat 7-15 has Krol as mayor, placing it after Batman 489-490 where is still a mayoral candidate, but there's no bearing on Knightfall's larger storyline. Moench's Batman: Unseen seemingly takes place after Black Mask's return in the run-up to Knightfall, too. Batman: Turning Points 4 is a standalone period piece with Bane in prison and Jean Paul's Batman just starting out.
    Last edited by PurpleGlovez; 07-24-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Knightfall is about Bane and Batman, but the rest of the saga overwhelmingly draws on the mythos established in the Sword of Azrael mini. There's really no excuse for leaving it out, except that apparently DC didn't want to pay Joe Quesada any more royalties.

They could have included the Bloodlines annuals like the new Death of Superman trades did, and Legends of the Dark Knight Annual 2 (featuring Jim and Sarah's wedding, the return of Arnold Flass, and an interesting Denny O'Neil villain) takes place between Batman 485 and 487. There's a great two-parter in Showcase '94 3-4 showing the Arkham inmates being transported to Blackgate. Amazing art from Tim Sale and the first story to flesh out Blackgate as a real place. More essential than the Penguin Showcase story they did end up including, in my opinion.

Prodigal could've had the Oracle story from Showcase '94 12 which follows up on her involvement from earlier in the storyline and has an appearance from Dick's Batman. And lastly, they really could've tried to place the Knightquest Search issues properly in the midst of Crusade as opposed to shunting them off to their own volume. I'm iffy about Alfred's Return and Vengeance II in the Troika volume because those actually took place in the midst of later continuity and now who knows what's gonna happen if they ever collect that era.

And of course there are out-of-order pages in the Knightquest omnibus. BUT, all this is to say, yes, DC actually did a pretty decent job all things considered. These are the volumes we should have got in 2012.

EDIT: Shadow of the Bat 7-15 has Krol as mayor, placing it after Batman 489-490 where is still a mayoral candidate, but there's no bearing on Knightfall's larger storyline. Moench's Batman: Unseen seemingly takes place after Black Mask's return in the run-up to Knightfall, too. Batman: Turning Points 4 is a standalone period piece with Bane in prison and Jean Paul's Batman just starting out.
    Yeah, my only complaint was the order in the Knightsquest TPBs and I agree that the first couple of Bruce stories should have been inter-dispersed, but from a TPB purpose it made sense. However, I felt that the Knightsquest omnibus/TPB should have started with the Batman 501 and 502, as opposed to Detective 667 and 668, which lead to Robin 0-1. DC 697-698 and Robin 0-1 was all about the split between JPV and Robin, while Batman 501 seemed to pick right up after the events of 500 and Robin and JPV hadn't had their split yet.

Basically, I would have just moved 501 and 502 to the beginning of the TPB as I felt the story made a little more sense that way.

And you are DEAD right about these being the volumes we should have gotten in 2012. Those were inexcusably bad. When they were first announced I was thrilled that Knightsquest was going to get collected, until I saw that they were omitting the issues from The Search. I was also horribly disappointed with the quality of the paper they were re-released on. It was cheap crappy newsprint paper. Many argued that it preserved the feel of the original comics, but it was crap and there was no excuse for it. The semi-gloss semi-matte paper they are using now is absolutely perfect.
    Last edited by Merrick97; 07-26-2019 at 06:58 AM.