Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batman: Last Knight on Earth by Snyder/Capullo (spoilers)

I distinctly remember reading about the previews of this one, but now I can't find any thread about it here. I obviously am walking around in a desolate apocalyptic forum, my only company a ranting and raving Gaelforce stuck in a lamp.

If Doomsday Clock #9 showed how to do a universe-altering event and reveal right, then Batman: Last Knight on Earth showed how to do a personal nightmare right. The apocalyptic landscapes, the continual nods to Mad Max, the way Alfred suddenly is Bruce's jailor, and the Joker as Batman's only solid point of orientation…

On one level, I must quibble with how Wonder Woman is characterised, but her choices echoes back to the way her birth society withdrew from the world, so there is a ground to stand on for the story. The way the world became the way it did also hardly doesn't work as backstory. So I fully expect that there will be more layers to be unfurled, especially with the way that the narrating is done by the Joker. In a way, I get a feeling that we are not seeing Batman's nightmare, but the Joker's…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It was truly some twisted and insane poetry in there.

I really like that it's ruly a culmination of Snyder and Capullo's run, complete with the madness which has been there from the start, only pushed to its utmost limits. But it also rest on the Justice/Doom War which has been hinted in Snyder's Justice League, and it works well as, indeed, a nightmare taking over either Batman or the Joker, pushing them in a world which doesn't make sense anymore, while they try to save it still.

I'm a little sad that Wonder Woman doesn't seem to be so important in the future of the story, but it's a Batman title, so I can live with it. And I can totally see Diana choosing to save the few who can and want to be saved, no matter the sacrifices made, over waging useless war. She's compassionate but also pragmatic, far more so than Clark and Bruce I think. Plus, indeed, she has the History of the Amazons as an example of badly hurt peoples retreating away from the world and propsering thanks to it.

I can't wait to have the second part of the story...

I figured this would tie in to Snyder's Batman plotlines, but color me surprised it tied in to his Justice League work. I like how holistic his corner of the DCU is.

The book itself was pretty good. I liked the writing and the art was fantastic, but i expect nothing less from Capullo at this point.

I liked it, sold me on the next issue.

I'm honestly kind of shocked there aren't more people talking about this book. I ADORED this book...one of the best things I've read from Snyder.

Granted, I always love how a Snyder story starts and the ending always lets me down...but this was a great book. I hope more people pick it up & talk about it. Several little mysteries in play.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Was a good opening issue Snyder doing some good work cannot wait for the other two. I am glad he listened to Grant and gave his version of Batman a beginning and now working on the ending portion.

Incredible Member

So, is this standalone or would I have to read any previous stuff to get the whole picture?

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    So, is this standalone or would I have to read any previous stuff to get the whole picture?
    Snyder has said on twitter that it's 100% standalone. Having read the first issue, I can say that it's definitely a standalone story with a few references that are richer if you've read his other Batman stuff, but absolutely not required.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

God this issue was so much fun.

I remember when Batman was fun.

Not this Bat and Cat nonsense.

Astonishing Member

I read somewhere that this is supposed to be Batman's Lone Wolf & Cub. So does this make The Joker Bat's Daigoro/Cub to Batman's Ogami Itto/Lone Wolf? Also, this made me want to watch/read Lone Wolf & Cub/Shogun Assassin again.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I really enjoyed this issue. Was surprised to see it tie in so heavily to what Snyder’s JL is setting up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Snyder has said on twitter that it's 100% standalone. Having read the first issue, I can say that it's definitely a standalone story with a few references that are richer if you've read his other Batman stuff, but absolutely not required.
    Cool, I might just check it out then.

I love SNyder's N52 run but I actually haven't read it all, so that's why I'm asking.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I haven't read any of Snyder's JLA. Can someone tell me the connections?

I loved it! This future is if the LOD wins.But, who achieved the Antilife Equation?
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

This was pretty good, nice to read some Snyder again as a kind of mind-cleanser after a lot of King. And Capullo actually moreso than Snyder, I really miss his art.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.