Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It’s official I hate her I hate her I hate her
    Harley can go evaporate I am sick of her face everywhere and worst I hate stealing the spotlight from everyone that is Barbara Gordon team
    Preeeeach.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Good points! And yes, I have no problem with Harley turning around her life and wanting to do good things. I just don't see her ever being accepted on a "hero team", not to mention she would/should always be in jail for her crimes against humanity. There are real life prisoners who have done far less than Harley has done that are in life sentences. I don't have any exact references in front of me, but I'd be fairly certain that Harley (while aiding the Joker) has done many heinous acts that would require her to be tucked away safe from society for a very long time.

I do love the character, and find her quite fun (both in her Dini/Timm characterization as well as her current role in the DCU). I just don't want to see her on a hero team, no more than I'd wish to see CARNAGE join the Avengers.
    Right Wally west is jail right now and she and ivy have committed crimes against humanity’s

Fantastic Member

Oh vey. DC really is out of touch with readers and doesn't realize how to attract them, especially females. They're going to have women and girls all excited about the characters just like Wonder Woman, eager to buy the books...and they are going to encounter the same writer they did with Wonder Woman. Even though they'll be different readers, they are going to be quickly alienated and not come back.

Seriously the wrong writer. Even Simone would be the wrong writer. For a female market, which is what the movie should be aiming to attract, you have to have a writer who views women as people who are as important men. No male gaze, in fact, sexualizing any character is a bad, bad idea. This is not how I would describe 90% of the writers and artists at DC as capable of doing. Either they can't write females and avoid them (fair enough), or they engage in the Madonna/Whore trope (King, with Catwoman as the Madonna/every other love interest as whores, notably the unnecessary orgy with Talia), or they just make them...meh to really WTF (Simone, most currently at DC besides Priest and Rucka).

The crashing and burning should be fun though. Except DC will blame the characters and readers rather than the creative choices. Someone needs to sit everyone down at DC and make them read Saga and Locke and Ley, then watch Orphan Black and the first season of Big Little Lies so that they can understand the current markets. It's the customers who say nothing when they stop buying that a company needs to worry about. Not the vocal "I started reading forty years ago and I'm quitting" ones. Someone who was excited, picked up a product and drops it quickly is incredibly worrisome as the marketing worked, but the company failed in delivery. That has to be addressed, it's not something DC has a track record of doing.

Lordy. This is going to be bad.

Someone will love it though. Just not the audience coming in from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Oh vey. DC really is out of touch with readers and doesn't realize how to attract them, especially females. They're going to have women and girls all excited about the characters just like Wonder Woman, eager to buy the books...and they are going to encounter the same writer they did with Wonder Woman. Even though they'll be different readers, they are going to be quickly alienated and not come back.

Seriously the wrong writer. Even Simone would be the wrong writer. For a female market, which is what the movie should be aiming to attract, you have to have a writer who views women as people who are as important men. No male gaze, in fact, sexualizing any character is a bad, bad idea. This is not how I would describe 90% of the writers and artists at DC as capable of doing. Either they can't write females and avoid them (fair enough), or they engage in the Madonna/Whore trope (King, with Catwoman as the Madonna/every other love interest as whores, notably the unnecessary orgy with Talia), or they just make them...meh to really WTF (Simone, most currently at DC besides Priest and Rucka).

The crashing and burning should be fun though. Except DC will blame the characters and readers rather than the creative choices. Someone needs to sit everyone down at DC and make them read Saga and Locke and Ley, then watch Orphan Black and the first season of Big Little Lies so that they can understand the current markets. It's the customers who say nothing when they stop buying that a company needs to worry about. Not the vocal "I started reading forty years ago and I'm quitting" ones. Someone who was excited, picked up a product and drops it quickly is incredibly worrisome as the marketing worked, but the company failed in delivery. That has to be addressed, it's not something DC has a track record of doing.

There will be no "audience" coming in from the movie
    And even if there was there is going to be many different mediums for them to get their "fix" outside of comics

This has been the case time and time again after every big hollywood movie. Harley Quinn's interest is already at its highest point and this book is only being made to create content for trades which will definitely see an uptick following the movie.
    Since there is no BOP lineup with Harley Quinn DC needed to push this series out this year to at least have one or two trades ready come February 2020
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 07-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

This movie won't attract new readers. In general, movies don't attract new readers for comics (or Avengers would be an incredible good seller).

The reason this happens is probably because comics are not so accessible for new readers. It isn't because a particular story in itself.

PS: There are stories directed mainly toward women or popular between women that have sexualized female characters.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-18-2019 at 04:17 PM.

WOW.. Harley replaced Barbara..

Seems that DC wanted a 2nd Harley comic again..

Yes Azz, give me what I want.

Guys, I've been looking up Lupacchino's work and holy hell we're in for a treat!
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Guys, I've been looking up Lupacchino's work and holy hell we're in for a treat!
    She is the bright spot. I have adored her art since she did Starfire in 2015.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

Oh, god, not Azzarello. Wonder Woman is dead to me because of him. Make him stick to Vertigo where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
    Oh, god, not Azzarello. Wonder Woman is dead to me because of him. Make him stick to Vertigo where he belongs.
    Feel the same way. But based on how many people are excited because of his name alone, it seems that DC at least has some thought behind the choice.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    "I just added more new characters, most of them dudes,
    I'd be interested in how adding "dudes" to a comic book is inherently a bad thing any more than adding "chicks".
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Its like adding human characters to the X-Men, it misses the point.

I knew this was going to happen the second they announced the BoP lineup for the film. Azzarello doesn't have me hopeful and I'm so sick of Harley.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I'd be interested in how adding "dudes" to a comic book is inherently a bad thing any more than adding "chicks".
    It's not "a comic book", it's Wonder Woman. That's not to say that Wonder Woman should be exclusively women - but to change her origin drastically and make ALL of the important new figures men? That's pretty frustrating, even to me as a non-feminist.