Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Did you see my earlier reply to your original question?
    Sure.

First off, Rucka. That would be like me saying "Hickman!" While we might both be able to make a case on paper, practical reality means we both might as well have said "H.G. Wells".

Second, Seanan McGuire. Same sorta thing as above. While I guess there's a chance, there is most likely a wrinkle there(versus the simplicity of Azzarello).

Third, Kelly Sue DeConnick. See Seanan McGuire. Almost no "DC" work, and might be tied up elsewhere.

So, yeah. I see one "Solid 'No!'..." and two "Probably Not Going To Happen...".

Again... Looking at it, the whole thing makes sense. Feels like there were just a couple of really likely alternatives.

I'm just saying I can't come up with that many "Go Ahead And Cash That Check. The Money Is There To Cover It." alternatives.

While your argument is more that Azzarello is well liked by DC and available, so the only choice.

Sorry, I don't buy that line of argument. Not from DiDio, and not from you. One of the prime jobs of DC's editors is to manage and groom comics creators. With the exception of the former Ink line, I'm not sure DC is doing that great a job of that right now. Even more, the core job of editors is to pick the right creators for the titles. And like many people here have expressed, they don't think Azzarello is the right person for this job.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    While your argument is more that Azzarello is well liked by DC and available, so the only choice.

Sorry, I don't buy that line of argument. Not from DiDio, and not from you. One of the prime jobs of DC's editors is to manage and groom comics creators. With the exception of the former Ink line, I'm not sure DC is doing that great a job of that right now. Even more, the core job of editors is to pick the right creators for the titles. And like many people here have expressed, they don't think Azzarello is the right person for this job.
    That is something that no one has said.

Meanwhile, all of the other options folks have brought up aren't really "Ready To Go..." options. If the title is come out when it is? Yeah, they are going to need a "Good To Go..." option.

Otherwise, shelve it for a while. Do that, and I can see where you are coming from.

As for "Is DC actually doing a worthwhile job of prepping creators?"

Whole other thread that doesn't have a whole lot to do with this.

As for "Is Azzarello The Right Creator For Title 'X'?", that's usually not one that I have a whole lot of time for. I'm sure no one was clamoring for China Mieville to wind up on Dial H, and that is easily one of the few really brilliant things DC has done(outside of The Wild Storm) in recent memory.

Edit:

One other thing...

The issue isn't even "Available" when it comes to one if the things in the "Pro" column when it comes to the writer we are talking about. He has more than one title that has been turning up on time in a reasonable set schedule, and just turned in work for the company without really taking them to task on how they released it.

While I guess I can see some theoretically perfect publishing world where you get the perfect creator for a title, having a writer that can do the above is something that either of the big is probably going to see as a "Plus".
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-20-2019 at 02:41 AM.

Uh Azzarello writing women. This could get messy.

Don't care about the No Babs thing though. She's gets more than her share of the spotlight anyway and after her cure, she really wasn't bringing anything unique to the table as Batgirl. The first 3-4 issues of New 52 title without her had the most refreshing BoP dynamics of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Uh Azzarello writing women. This could get messy.
    Don't worry. He'll probably introduce a dozen male characters and put 90% of the focus on them.

(Clearly I'm still bitter about his Wonder Woman run.)

Always Rakzo

The only complaint I have is that I wish Harley was no part of this, she just doesn't fit in the Birds of Prey despite of what the movie might try to push.

Aside from that, this is bound to become one of the best titles in the entire line despite of what vocal Wonder Woman fans might think (Azarello's run was better than Rucka's people, just deal with it).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The only complaint I have is that I wish Harley was no part of this, she just doesn't fit in the Birds of Prey despite of what the movie might try to push.

Aside from that, this is bound to become one of the best titles in the entire line despite of what vocal Wonder Woman fans might think (Azarello's run was better than Rucka's people, just deal with it).
    More like it was better in your opinion. Both seem equally popular and equally disliked by the opposite people
    Just deal with it

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m shocked Azzarelo is still doing work for DC after the way they handled Damned.
    Damned had pretty high sales numbers, so it isn't really a surprise he keeps getting work.

Extraordinary Member

If you believe the current rumours the movie will be anyway not very comic book accurate.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    More like it was better in your opinion. Both seem equally popular and equally disliked by the opposite people
    Just deal with it
    Mostly speaking about critical acclaim but sure, whatever.

Mostly speaking about critical acclaim but sure, whatever.
    Critics liked Rucka's run too.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Critics liked Rucka's run too.
    Only initially really. They quickly forgot about it.

Only initially really. They quickly forgot about it.
    What are you basing this on? The book was still getting reviews til the end of his run.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What are you basing this on? The book was still getting reviews til the end of his run.
    Yeah, I highly doubt people liked that ending.