Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Default Birds of Prey by Azzarello and Lupachino starting this October

Yes, you read that right, BoP is getting a new book but Brian Azzarello is writing it and it'll be using the movie line-up with no Barbara Gordon in sight.

Harley Quinn isn’t just teaming up with the Birds of Prey in next year’s big-screen Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) — she’s going to be joining the comic book incarnation of the team as well, with DC unveiling a new ongoing Birds of Prey comic book series to launch this fall.

The series will feature the upcoming movie lineup of the team — Black Canary, Huntress and Harley Quinn — with Renee Montoya, Gotham City detective and occasional vigilante, along for the ride. If that combination sounds unlikely, that’s kind of the point, according to writer Brian Azzarello.

“Having Harley involved screws with the new BOP dynamic — hell, with every dynamic,” he said in a statement about the series. “She’s chaos, but she might be the most together member of the team. Canary, Huntress and Montoya have a lot of damaged baggage. Ema and I are gonna unpack it.”

“Ema” is artist Emanuela Lupacchino, who’ll be working with inker Ray McCarthy and color artist Trish Mulvihill to bring the book’s visuals to life.

“The Birds are a super-team I’ve never worked on before but that I‘ve always loved,” she added. “This will be a lovely opportunity to bring these women to life and let the reader feel their emotions. I’ll give them their energy and power.”

The new series will present Harley with a new life, post-Suicide Squad — the group’s series ended in January, and they haven’t been seen since — offering the opportunity for her to get mixed up in a collision between Black Canary, out to help an old flame, and her former teammate, the Huntress, who’s been sent up against a threat known as "Las Esposas de la Muerte" at the bidding of Detective Montoya.

Promising that the series will surprise readers, Azzarello said, “Ema and I are pushing the envelope, both character-wise and plot-wise, with equal parts estrogen and adrenaline. Our BOP will be the must-read title every month. Ambitious? Sure. That’s why it’s worth doing.”
    Some B&W preview art here.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If it's using the movie line up, shouldn't Cass be in this? Or is she not in the movie anymore?

It’s odd that they changed Helena’s race for the new 52, but in the movie they decided to keep her white and race swap Dinah instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    If it's using the movie line up, shouldn't Cass be in this? Or is she not in the movie anymore?
    She’s in the Outsiders comic

Extraordinary Member

Can we get Helena's classic costume back, already?

Fair enough, a movie's on the way, they are making a book.

Black Canary, Azzarello, Huntress...gotta buy this one.

“She’s chaos, but she might be the most together member of the team. Canary, Huntress and Montoya have a lot of damaged baggage. " - Oh, heck no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Can we get Helena's classic costume back, already?

It's funny what people think of as "classic." That's my favorite look for her (much better than Lee's "cut-out tummy window/boy shorts" costume, but when I think "classic" I think:
    imageproxy.jpg

What's more interesting is that it seems if they're following the movie, and it's unlikely Rosie Perez, who's in her fifties will be The Question, that in this series Montoya is referred to as "Detective" rather than "The Question."

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    “She’s chaos, but she might be the most together member of the team. Canary, Huntress and Montoya have a lot of damaged baggage. " - Oh, heck no.
    Only because sociopaths don't really have a lot of regret or ambivalence.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Only because sociopaths don't really have a lot of regret or ambivalence.
    Somehow, I don't get the vibe that that's the impression they're going for.

Extraordinary Member

I don't see the point of a Birds Of Prey book without Barbara. BOP needs to always be Barbara and Dinah.

It's like World's Finest without Clark and Bruce. Just my opinion.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

It will be odd without Barbara Gordon. But I will give it a try. I don't read much DC anymore but want this to do well. When Simone had BOP going, it was a great book. So I have to give this a chance.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

No Babs, no Birds of Prey. Sorry.

I don't mind Harley, personally, but BoP is, at its heart, about the relationship between Barbara Gordon and Dinah Lance. You leave out either of these characters, it's just not Birds fo Prey.

Also, while art looks fab, Azzarello is a VERY hit and miss writer for me - and definitely one with more misses than hits.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

That's some stunning art. Sadly, there are 2 dealbreakers for this new run:

1.) No Barbara Gordon.

2.) Azzarello. After his blatantly sexist run on Wonder Woman back in the New 52, I have no interest in a book he writes that features mostly(if not all) female main cast members.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

1.) No Barbara Gordon.

2.) Azzarello. After his blatantly sexist run on Wonder Woman back in the New 52, I have no interest in a book he writes that features mostly(if not all) female main cast members.
    While 1 is a biggie for me, 2 is the even bigger deal. Harley is the biggest - I have issues with heroes working willingly with villains (sometimes even with anti-heroes, though there's more wiggle room there) and being friendly with them and basically being OOC because the non-hero is popular. And with that line about Harley having it together, I feel it likely the others will be diminished to prop her up. Definitely have problems with N52 Amazons, though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

1.) No Barbara Gordon.

Isn't that Babs in the art pages. The girl with a bat necklace?