Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Isn't that Babs in the art pages. The girl with a bat necklace?
    This character?
    58CD345F-8EB1-481B-808D-4F55F93ED038.jpg
    Not Bat-Necklace...shadows playing across neck framed by a white tank top. I’m thinking that’s Dinah.

E5D89CB6-E497-4EC6-92D0-9F06E2931CBC.jpg
    And I’m glad someone else mentioned Harley jacking the fishnets look.
    Hopefully with coloring they won’t look as Canary-esque.

Hey I checked out the Killing Joke cause of the stir you all mentioned and I just wanted to thank you, because I thought it was awesome! I had given up on DC animated features but I'm glad I checked this one out. So good!

This comment has been screencapped and archived on my hard drive.

Mighty Member

Quite a surprise. Hope it's good.
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-18-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised that Azzarello still gets DC work after the Killing Joke debacle and him calling a fan a "p*ssy" during a convention panel (not to even get started on the mess he made with Wonder Woman's lore).
    Half his work receives rave reviews (including his Wonder Woman, which was one of the best received New 52 books), he presumably gets on well with the higher-ups at DC and in a company which employs Frank Miller and Scott Lobdell accusations of sexism aren’t going to harm him.

I'm genuinely surprised that Azzarello still gets DC work after the Killing Joke debacle and him calling a fan a "p*ssy" during a convention panel (not to even get started on the mess he made with Wonder Woman's lore).
    What's the list of the other great writers that are available and would fit the title?

Not even trying to be a smarty pants there. When I took a second to think the bigger picture over, i thought "Yeah. I guess it fits."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What's the list of the other great writers that are available and would fit the title?

Not even trying to be a smarty pants there. When I took a second to think the bigger picture over, i thought "Yeah. I guess it fits."
    Not to mention that Azzarello is quite the company man. He's lojal, has good friends high and low in DC, mentors new writers, raising money for retired creators, has his work cited as a major inspiration by creators old and new again and again. Didn't even complain much over how DC handled Batman Damned, rather he's been focusing on that the fact he's happy how the book turned out.

Also helps that his books sells really well. Joker is on it's 14th print now, after 10y as hardcover.
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-18-2019 at 05:25 AM.

DC is large enough that they should be able to move around people onto titles as needed. I expect this title has been planned for at least half a year, probably more. So I'm going to interpret "available" quite liberally.

Seanan McGuire is my first thought. She's primarily a Marvel girl, but I think BoP would fit her sensibilities very well. Kelly Sue DeConnick. Greg Rucka.

Also, it's not my job to keep track of good and interesting writers. It's DC's.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Not to mention that Azzarello is quite the company man. He's lojal, has good friends high and low in DC, mentors new writers, raising money for retired creators, has his work cited as a major inspiration by creators old and new again and again. Didn't even complain much over how DC handled Batman Damned, rather he's been focusing on that the fact he's happy how the book turned out.
    Oh, I don't think there is anyone here who is claiming that Azzarello isn't an accomplished writer that is well-thought of by DC who can craft good stories. What people here are questioning is if he is the right writer for the title. And between the script for the TKJ animated movie, his run on Wonder Woman, his comment about "damaged baggage", and the reaction of a lot of other posters here, I think there is a very strong case that Azzarello is the wrong writer for this project.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'll give it a go when it comes out in October.

No idea. I'm not even interested in Birds of Prey, so I probably wouldn't have read it anyhow. It's just a bit surprising to me that "publicly controversial" creators like Azzarello continue to get high profile work.

Fantastic Member

It'll be the first comic I've actually gone out and bought in, like, at least 4 years.

No idea. I'm not even interested in Birds of Prey, so I probably wouldn't have read it anyhow. It's just a bit surprising to me that "publicly controversial" creators like Azzarello continue to get high profile work.
    I think it's been said before in this thread but Azzarello seems to get along well with DC's top brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    The BoP movie isn't going to tank...

...and at least they're not calling it "Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey" like they did with Batgirl, completely disrespecting the other members of the team (especially Dinah).
    I followed The Birds from the very beginning up until it became known as Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. It elevated Babs at the expense of Dinah and Helena and that unfairness made me want to avoid it. Also I'm an Oracle fan and I hadn't forgiven DC for the mess they made of Starling in the New 52 Birds, which up until that point I was enjoying.

There's no way in hell I'd support Azzarello's writing of ANYTHING after what he did to Wonder Woman and then Batgirl in The Killing Joke. Who they think is going to buy this I don't know but it's definitely not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's funny what people think of as "classic." That's my favorite look for her (much better than Lee's "cut-out tummy window/boy shorts" costume, but when I think "classic" I think:
    Attachment 84607
    It's so weird how a tiny cross on Helena Bertinelli's costume grew and morphed into so much white trim her costume became completely divorced from Huntress' original Bat and Cat roots. The feel and even the color scheme is entirely different, they started going down the wrong track when they added the white. Though despite how much it's maligned and the lack of sense it made, when you do a google image search for Huntress it becomes clear the bare midriff look is the Internet's favorite version.

Some of the most popular things are also the most maligned - no big surprise there.

Doesn't feel all that surprising to me when I try to put a list of alternative together.