Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Mostly speaking about critical acclaim but sure, whatever.
    Not "whatever," it was getting good critical responses all the way to the end. What are you basing the "they forgot about it" on besides personal bias?
    Both runs got good reviews and passionate criticisms, because they were essentially always going to be pitted against each other, and the sales were satisfactory for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What are you basing this on? The book was still getting reviews til the end of his run.
    Yep, it's not as if comic runs just stop getting reviews half way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Yeah, I highly doubt people liked that ending.
    There were of course plenty who disliked it. There were also plenty who disliked the ending of the Azzarello run, even the those who liked it overall.
    Because waiting the whole run to get elaboration on why the Amazons were so awful and then NOT getting didn't go unremarked upon.

Azzarello's tackling of a female driven narrative involved adding more men into the cast and backstory and making almost all the women suck, so it's perhaps unsurprising that people are wary of what he will do with the BOP. Especially when he says they all have trauma.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-20-2019 at 06:41 AM.

I checked the Wondy sales at the end of Azz's run and at the end of Rucka's and Rucka had Azz beat by about 5k. Considering Rucka's run had Rebirth behind it, I wouldn't say this makes him an obviously better choice of writer than Azz for any given DC book. My guess is Azz got the book because he was available and is a name that moves books. There were likely other names tossed about but none available that stood a tried and tested chance to move books.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I checked the Wondy sales at the end of Azz's run and at the end of Rucka's and Rucka had Azz beat by about 5k. Considering Rucka's run had Rebirth behind it, I wouldn't say this makes him an obviously better choice of writer than Azz for any given DC book. My guess is Azz got the book because he was available and is a name that moves books. There were likely other names tossed about but none available that stood a tried and tested chance to move books.
    Rucka's run lasted a little more than a year. Azzarello's went for three years.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Elaborate? Do you mean that Azz has more of the ability to sustain numbers over a longer period of time?
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

They both had the boosts of a line wide relaunch helping them get noticed.

It's not an indicator that either author is better suited for a property. But they both did well critically and in sales no matter the noise people online on either side of the fence make.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They both had the boosts of a line wide relaunch helping them get noticed.

It's not an indicator that either author is better suited for a property. But they both did well critically and in sales no matter the noise people online on either side of the fence make.
    Yes, that's almost exactly what I said but using different words.

Elaborate? Do you mean that Azz has more of the ability to sustain numbers over a longer period of time?
    Most runs are going to burn off readers as time goes on. I'm a fan of his run, but even I only got the final five issues of the run about a month after the finale. Its hard to sustain someone's attention for three years every month.

I'm not saying "Well, Azzarello's run was actually more popular!" Just that it's an apples and oranges comparison.

After reviewing your posts I do agree with initial point. Sorry, I'm just so use to people throwing around numbers without context that whenever I see even the slightest semblance of this taking place I get triggered.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-20-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Yes, that's almost exactly what I said but using different words.
    Sorry, like Pinsir I think I misunderstood your initial point and thought you were saying Rucka benefited from a reboot but Azzarello didn't and did it on writing strength alone. But you're right, they both did.

Wait, did we just resolve a misunderstanding without resorting to name calling, labeling or needing the mods to step in and delete or edite our comments?

Buy a lotto ticket!

I am interested in this work. I actually do want to read more ongoing DC books other than Wonder Woman, but I just don't know what to read and this is the only thing that caught my eye. From what I understand of Azzarello, he actually isn't that proficient of an author and his superhero work is bad, with exception to Wonder Woman, which is very good.

In fact, its certainly the best Post-Crisis Wonder Woman story and he stands with William Moulton Marston and Robert Kanigher as one of the best Wonder Woman authors. I understand that this work is considered by some as, uh, controversial (), but he really nails Wonder Woman's character, which is a hurdle that stumps most authors. His work is no less feminist than any other Wonder Woman run and many of the more memorable characters in the run were women (Just look at the cover for the final issue for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Rucka's run lasted a little more than a year. Azzarello's went for three years.
    These are not really comparable. Rucka wrote 25 issues over one year, Azzarello wrote 35 over three years. Both are major efforts in this day and age, but also very different ones in the demands they place on the writer.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])