Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Uh, I dunno, maybe they could get Gail Simone back specifically for BoP. Seems like a no-brainer.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Uh, I dunno, maybe they could get Gail Simone back specifically for BoP. Seems like a no-brainer.
    I'm not sure if Gail has much more to say with the Birds at this point, but at the rate the franchise it going, it couldn't hurt.

I doubt she'd want to write the group with Harley though.

I’m shocked Azzarelo is still doing work for DC after the way they handled Damned. I would never have thought he’d even be interested in the Birds of Prey, BC seemed sure he was going to do Suicide Squad. Guess Lee managed to smooth things over.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m shocked Azzarelo is still doing work for DC after the way they handled Damned. I would never have thought he’d even be interested in the Birds of Prey, BC seemed sure he was going to do Suicide Squad. Guess Lee managed to smooth things over.
    On-paper he seems like a better fit for Suicide Squad then the Birds.

Honestly, I think the idea that he can write a good Harley or something close to the movie is why they went for him with this. Or he's a high-profile name.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On-paper he seems like a better fit for Suicide Squad then the Birds.

Honestly, I think the idea that he can write a good Harley or something close to the movie is why they went for him with this. Or he's a high-profile name.

Suicide Squad would have been a good fit for Azzarello's dark, cynical writing style. If that was no longer an option, they could have had him write Lobo, the Question(solo), Etrigan, Deathstroke, or even Damien Wayne. Birds of Prey just doesn't seem like a book he's bring to new heights, especially for the likes of Black Canary and Huntress.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if Gail has much more to say with the Birds at this point, but at the rate the franchise it going, it couldn't hurt.

I doubt she'd want to write the group with Harley though.
    Never mind that she is seemingly right in the middle of a job at Dynamite.

So, one other writer folks can just come up with off the top of the head?

Like I said, kinda fits in that context. Probably not the first thing I would have put together, but it fits perfectly fine in context.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I didn't read the title, but she served on the JLA with Lobo (and Killer Frost) and he's a sadistic bastiche. What was the reasoning for her being okay with him there and did their explanation fly with you? Maybe Batgirl convinces Dinah since they were so chummy in "HiC."
    Most of the line up in that title were written out of character, so I gave it a pass.

But you're right; my Dinah (1986-2011) died a long time ago. Maybe whoever's running around in her fishnets these days has no problem working with villains.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Never mind that she is seemingly right in the middle of a job at Dynamite.

So, one other writer folks can just come up with off the top of the head?

Like I said, kinda fits in that context. Probably not the first thing I would have put together, but it fits perfectly fine in context.
    Well the issue in naming a writer is what other baggage will come with them?

If you picked Zoe Quinn-you already know what legion of trolls she will attract who will forever try to derail the book for existing.

Not to mention store owners. Whatever feeling folks have towards Azzarello are MUTE because store owners have no issue ordering his books due to his name.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Suicide Squad would have been a good fit for Azzarello's dark, cynical writing style. If that was no longer an option, they could have had him write Lobo, the Question(solo), Etrigan, Deathstroke, or even Damien Wayne. Birds of Prey just doesn't seem like a book he's bring to new heights, especially for the likes of Black Canary and Huntress.
    Damian isn't exactly a dark character suited to Azzarello, and after Priest's run on Deathstroke Azzarello is absolutely the wrong writer to handle Slade. Azzarello and complicated characters don't mix. It's why he was good for the Joker...and....and....that's all I got. Everything else of his I tried I dropped as I am clearly not his target audience.

And I love dark and cynical stuff. Chuck Palahnuik used to occupy two feet of shelf space in my house.
    Last edited by Arctic Cyclist; 07-19-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Damian isn't exactly a dark character suited to Azzarello, and after Priest's run on Deathstroke Azzarello is absolutely the wrong writer to handle Slade. Azzarello and complicated characters don't mix. It's why he was good for the Joker...and....and....that's all I got. Everything else of his I tried I dropped as I am clearly not his target audience.

And I love dark and cynical stuff. Chuck Palahnuik used to occupy two feet of shelf space in my house.
    I know that graphic novel is super popular and I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think he's good for the Joker at all. He's super boring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well the issue in naming a writer is what other baggage will come with them?

If you picked Zoe Quinn-you already know what legion of trolls she will attract who will forever try to derail the book for existing.

Not to mention store owners. Whatever feeling folks have towards Azzarello are MUTE because store owners have no issue ordering his books due to his name.
    So, maybe two writers?

Again, the lack of names that come to mind quickly winds up going right to "Yeah, makes sense..." in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

If you are viewing it through strictly through that angle, you are probably oversimplifying what is more complex work.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wish Dinah had a solo title, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wish Dinah had a solo title, too.
    I would love to see Dinah get a new solo book, preferably one that's a little more straight-laced and DCU-oriented then the DCYou series.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You know what to do with those types of trolls? You run right over them.

A bunch of people terming themselves the Sad Puppies and the Rabid Puppies tried to hijack the Hugo awards from 2015 to 2017. Now, the Hugos aren't run by some corporation, like DC or Disney. Instead of giving in to any such hate campaign, the small but still very real popular movement running the Hugos saw it as a direct attack on the integrity of the award, and decided to push back hard.

We vetoed nearly every single entrant from the Puppies, judging them unworthy of the award.

We changed the rules so that ballot-stuffing in the nomination phase became not impossible, but much harder, and much more related to the size of such a group among the entire electorate.

In 2017, 2018, and this year we managed to get more great stories by queer people, people of colour, and women on the ballot than ever before. Because we as a movement decided that we stood for progress and quality, and found that the most interesting new science fiction and fantasy writing right now was done queer people, people of colour, and women.

If some Internet hate group tries to target Gunn? Don't fire him, keep silent for a month and then give him another movie. If another one gets angry because you've hired Zoe Quinn? Give her a higher-profile book, or hire another person just like her.

Giving in or moving away is absolutely the last thing you should do against fascists and groups like them.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, maybe two writers?

Again, the lack of names that come to mind quickly winds up going right to "Yeah, makes sense..." in my head.
    Did you see my earlier reply to your original question?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])