Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Reread the first few pages, Bane is controlling them with the Pyscho Pirate.

Also, if you read the conversation between Thomas and Alfred, Batmans allies are staying outside the side over fear of them hurting Alfred.
    Which is incredibly dumb.

I get it, Gotham-Girl is there, somehow she can see all of them.

But, honestly, her sheer presence is a living proof of how inconsistent and uncaring about its own continuity this run is. She's using her power H24, display them recklessly in battle, after having almost died in The Price... and somehow she's fine and able to do all that while sounding like a pathetic aping of Harley's insanity ? When her brother and she were introduced, it was stated that using too much of their powers would kill them (it was what killed Gotham early on, in the Price, it was Gotham-Girl herself if I remember right).

Now this limitation is entirely gone ? Or appears to be ? And her character has taken such a 180° in her behavior that she just comes out as pathetic to me.

I really hope that whatever King had in mind for her and Duke early in his run has been entirely dropped. I don't want The Signal to be encumbered with anything that this run has been. That's why I hope whatever his seminal changes are, they'll be ignored or downplayed by the following writers earlier rather than later.

Amazing Member

Tom King is the worst Batman writer I have ever read. No way Bane could take over a whole city ala Dark Knight Rises when you have other heroes like the JL that would come stop him. Also I highly doubt a crazy person like the Joker could have his emotions controlled by anyone. And first it appears Bruce gets beaten by a much older Thomas that never had Bruce's years of training and now 2 low life common thieves beat him this issue. Its like King doesn't know that Batman spent years training with all type of masters at hand to hand combat. If Batman constantly gets beaten by everyone then how is he part of trinity? Why hasn't someone just killed him long ago. Terrible hack writing and I for one cant wait until King is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

But, honestly, her sheer presence is a living proof of how inconsistent and uncaring about its own continuity this run is. She's using her power H24, display them recklessly in battle, after having almost died in The Price... and somehow she's fine and able to do all that while sounding like a pathetic aping of Harley's insanity ? When her brother and she were introduced, it was stated that using too much of their powers would kill them (it was what killed Gotham early on, in the Price, it was Gotham-Girl herself if I remember right).

Now this limitation is entirely gone ? Or appears to be ? And her character has taken such a 180° in her behavior that she just comes out as pathetic to me.

I really hope that whatever King had in mind for her and Duke early in his run has been entirely dropped. I don't want The Signal to be encumbered with anything that this run has been. That's why I hope whatever his seminal changes are, they'll be ignored or downplayed by the following writers earlier rather than later.
    It is, but it's at least there, just not well explained.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Also, if you read the conversation between Thomas and Alfred, Batmans allies are staying outside the side over fear of them hurting Alfred.
    Sounds that way to me.

I've read very little with her - how exactly does her power work? She can see all of them, but can she the future? How fast is her superspeed?

No way Bane could take over a whole city ala Dark Knight Rises when you have other heroes like the JL that would come stop him.
    I didn't even like the other heroes ignoring Gotham in No Man's Land, and it seemingly makes even less sense here.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Sounds that way to me.

I've read very little with her - how exactly does her power work? She can see all of them, but can she the future? How fast is her superspeed?

I didn't even like the other heroes ignoring Gotham in No Man's Land, and it seemingly makes even less sense here.
    Basically, she and her brother's power is cast by life span with no limitation except said life span. Meaning they can be as powerful as they want, godly even, but they'll die. I'm just not sure how fast they'll die.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Basically, she and her brother's power is cast by life span with no limitation except said life span. Meaning they can be as powerful as they want, godly even, but they'll die. I'm just not sure how fast they'll die.
    When going all-out, Gotham died in mere minutes, but trounced the Justice League. His sister had to intervene to save the day and force him to fight just a little while longer, so he would exhaust himself and die.

The problem is that The Price retconned it into Gotham-Girl killing her brother to stop his rampage, and then had her go all out and losing her life after injecting herself with something, but she still survived somehow and is now babbling her incoherent drivel.

Which is really frustrating, and frightening. Hopefully the Bat-Family won't appear much or at-all in the remaining 10 + 12 issues of King's Batman and then Bat/Cat, because I'm really afraid of what he'll do to them.

Again.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not usually a fan of King's Batman work, but I picked this up on a whim and...I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at this. Usually, I find myself frustrated at how scant King is with each issue of Batman he writes. However, this issue actually made me feel like I reading a real story for a change. It was much denser than previous issues. It also actually managed to tie together some of the threads from throughout King's run in a pretty nice way.

That being said, there were still some parts of the issue I found myself rolling my eyes at. The majority of the dialogue felt incredibly unnatural. It also makes no sense that, if Two-Face wasn't yet under Bane's influence, he would refer to the original Batman as the "false Batman."

Which is really frustrating, and frightening. Hopefully the Bat-Family won't appear much or at-all in the remaining 10 + 12 issues of King's Batman and then Bat/Cat, because I'm really afraid of what he'll do to them.

Again.
    It can't be worse than what's been done to them since 2011.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-18-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    It can't be worse than what's been done to them since 2011.
    So far, from the top of my head, they have either been transformed into monsters, hanged, shot in the head, brutally beaten or punched brutally in the face. In his book, in a very short amount of panels, since he barely uses them.

I'll take a Death of the Family over this

Extraordinary Member

So far, from the top of my head, they have either been transformed into monsters, hanged, shot in the head, brutally beaten or punched brutally in the face. In his book, in a very short amount of panels, since he barely uses them.

I'll take a Death of the Family over this
    I'd say King's treatment of them is on par with some of them being completely erased from existence and having their lives stolen from them. The latter is probably even worse.

It'll be controversial, but I think Cass losing a lot of her past stories was actually a blessing in disguise, because writers had made a terrible mess out of her. But I'm not objective here, I adore her in BatO by Hill.

Compared to that, I feel like King is -actively or not- derailing most of the sidekicks he has touched most prominently (Nightwing being -without much surprise- the msot affected, with monsterization and then a bullet in the head).

Extraordinary Member

It'll be controversial, but I think Cass losing a lot of her past stories was actually a blessing in disguise, because writers had made a terrible mess out of her. But I'm not objective here, I adore her in BatO by Hill.
    Nope. Cass losing her time as Batgirl simply because they decided there couldn't be any other Batgirl besides Barbara was an absolute tragedy and severely weakened her as a character. The same thing applies to Stephanie. She was such a better character before the New 52.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    What about Damian and Cass who currently live at Wayne Manor? Regardless of what his feelings are on the punching Tim incident Damian is a minor and he attends school from the manor as we have seen.

There's so many that's not accounted for which makes this run feel like it's happening in a bubble. Like an Elseworld.
    Damian hasn't lived full time with Bruce since he was 10. It's also easy to miss, but SS, AotSS, and Prelude to the Wedding all have dropped that once the proposal happened, Bruce checked out as a parent. We know that Damian has barely been home for months, and post Metal, No Justice, and the fridging of Dick, Damian has not only stopped going to Gotham, but his pets and all belongs appear to be out of the manor. Except maybe Alfred, who like Bruce, picked Selina over him.

Damian might not even give a damn about Alfred by this point considering that outside of Tec that's been shown to unhealthy as well.

So that's oddly for King's writing, is not a plot hole.

Has there been any followup to Bruce hitting Tim? In any comic? I'm not reading many anymore, and none of the Bat ones.

As little since as this storyline sometimes seem to make (and especially with latest issue), I sometimes wonder if Bruce is hallucinating huge amounts of it. But, alas, we aren't that lucky.

I often get the impression King doesn't think Bruce's kids matter very much. I mean, I like the idea of BatCat (though I don't think it's been done well here), but it does at times seem like she's been made the only really important or possibly supportive person in Bruce's life, and that's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And Bruce punched Tim out of nowhere. And it was done right in front of the ones that had shown up to support Bruce. So, that may have something to do with it.
    That maybe works as far has helping Bruce himself goes. But this is bigger than him now, it's their entire city getting taken by force.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I think the key to your issue may be in your first sentence above. It's the start of an 11 issue story. If you're not seeing generational change in the first of those 11 issues, that's probably why.

I read and hear a lot of complaints that King "hasn't explained anything yet" or "hasn't resolved anything yet." I think (I hope) the key there too is the word "yet." He has 10 more issues of Batman to go and 12 of Batman/Catwoman. I don't need him to explain or resolve anything until the end of the story.

Mileage will vary among reasonable people. Of course.
    fair point

I think I was kind of expecting to see enough ahead
    or at least to have enough intropection in the story even by this point to kind of predict wht will be the outcome, or at least to feel which direction is moving towards, so far there is nothing yet.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 07-18-2019 at 10:55 AM.