Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Default X-Force #10 Spoilers and Review

Well we now to come to the end of another series before the launch of the Hickman Era.

Recap: Stryfe had used Rachel to lure the Askani into a trap to destroy them, while holding WiFi in a cell with his powers turned off so his T-O virus was consuming him and Aliya. X-Force arrives at Stryfe's stronghold and goes to rescue Rachel and Nate. Rachel is set free by her Mother Askani self and lays waste to the Krang Trio and demands to know what the hell is going on.

Preview Pages: Deathlok, Sam, and James have freed Wi-Fi and Aliya, and while Nate is coming back to his sense Aliya is being consumed by the T-O virus.In a last ditch effort to save her, Nate attempts to cleanse her of the virus and bring her back. And quelle surprise he does so. As Aliya comes to, she asks about their friends, in which Tetherblood which was the only to survive. Flintshard was killed by Stryfe last issue as he refused to talk and reveal Askani details. RIP. They decide to find Stryfe and make him pay...

Which is what Rachel seems intent on doing. She's all fired up (literally) and tearing **** apart. She sees and recognizes Domino, before Stryfe orders his Mutant Liberation Army to destroy them, and Rachel too. It's funny how for the past like 3 issues he keeps talking about how he's done with her, but never can bring himself to kill Rachel. Interesting. Anywho, so the MLA decides to attack and Rachel is having none of that. After knocking them down with a TK wave, she then reaches into the mind of the Transian MLA members and shows them how Stryfe's goons killed their friends and family, and exclaiming how they can't control them anymore.

And now for the new stuff..
    The next page is a splash of the Transians screaming "you lied to us" and turning on their forced comrades. Conduit, Triptych, and Andrei are now trying to take them on, while X-Force (Dom, Tabby, Shatterstar, and Jimmy.....who apparently is both with Nate and co AND Domino. Is Marvel allowing all the Native American characters to appear in two places at once now? Or an artflub? You decide.) jumps into the foray. Zero is trying to get Stryfe to leave and he is going to stand his ground because otherwise he doesn't deserve this. He tells Zero if he isn't willing to fight he should dismalntle him, when Tabby swoops in and sends Zero exploding into many parts. "There. I dismantled him for you."
    Stryfe (on the attack): Always using humor in an attempt to compensate for how little you contribute with your little bombs."
    Tabby: "Whatever you say Dr. Phil." God I do love Brisson's Tabby.

Rachel then intervenes and takes on Stryfe, in which he admits he underestimated Rachel's power (FINALLY SOMEONE DOES) and he tries to take on Rachel in a psi-battle.
    Rachel: "I'm through being used by men like you, Stryfe. I am no one's weapon."

As they spi-battle Nate starts going on about how she already helped him sniff out the Askani and will kill them all as them scream her name. Which of course is where Rachel shows him (and the reader for a change) just how powerful she is by striking him down and pushes him towards the brink of death. She's about to kill him when Wi-Fi comes to her side and tells her not to do this. She pushes back saying she ALWAYS let's them live and they destroy lives anyways. It has to stop. Nate then talks about protecting the timeline, and how he had to kill his older self for not doing so. Stryfe has to live. Rachel tells him he doesn't know the amount of suffering that Stryfe will cause and has to die. But again Nate talks the 'Yeah I don't know but killing him here fucks up the timeline for everyone so don't do it.'

Back to other fighting, Jimmy is (still?/just? I'm real confused still) Conduit and knocks him out. Tabby takes out Triptych's lightning golems while Domino focuses her attention on her, and Deathlok takes down Andrei. And it goes back to Nate still trying to talk down FU (Fired Up) Rachel. Nate talks about how killing Stryfe changes the path that he goes down, which would in turn change how he becomes her Cable and there's no knowing how fucked up the timeline gets from there, X-Force included. Stryfe begs for the pain to stop and Rachel powers down. Stryfe of courses whispers "Kill you all" as they throw a power dampner on him and put him in a cell. Blaquesmith arrives and sees that his Mother Askani has returned. Rachel says that she is not her. "She's still here. She's still with you. But I'm not her. Not yet." So it looks like they didn't merge, just MA Rachel sets ours free. Also note: Rachel has some fugly ass eyes in that last art panel. Like Sloth from Goonies level eyes.

The next is the farewell. Deathlok is working on getting the portal opened, while Rachel and Wi-Fi go down to mind wipe Stryfe. As the Transians head through the portal X-Force talks about how they missed home. Sam mentions he needs to go home to the Shi'ar and see Issy and Josiah (OMG SOMEONE REMEMBERS HE HAS A FAMILY). Shatty says he needs to stop running from the act that Rictor is dead (and as the caption box exclaims "OR IS HE? SEE UNCANNY #22"). Tabby rubs Jimmy for being a ranch hand while she's looking forward to 18 days of sleep. Aliya thanks Dom for X-Force for everything. Dom responds with "
    It's nothing really. All of us owe Nathan a great deal. We'd each ly our lives down for him." WHO IS THIS DOMINO???? Nate comes back from his Stryfe mind wiping to tell Aliya and Tetherblood he's returning with X-Force to the past to make sure they get back and to set things right. They kiss as he says he'll return. Shatterstar then pulls NJate aside to go back but on the way into the portal tells Nate he was wrong about how he treated him and that he truly believes he is Cable. And then they go into the portal.

The End.

Thoughts:
    Rachel - finally she gets a good power showing and some bad-assery. Personally I don't think it even comes close to making up for the character assassination that she had endured for the past 2 years. But it's something. While it is implied that she goes back with them, they never show her entering the portal. But it's a given it seems. Also, when Nate is trying to have her stand down, she chats with him like she already knows him and met him. Maybe it's their psi-bond but she don't know him. Unless she does and has her hound memories from Extermination. It's unclear.

Domino - I thought this cheery and "it's nothing" thing with her at the end was waaaay off-brand.

Tabby - Continues to be one of the shining lights in this book.

While my eyes are pumped that this artwork is no longer causing them pain, I can't help but feel this whole ending felt rushed for me. Like there needed to be one more issue to wrap up some of the things. Which is weird because there were definite issues that could have been paired down. It felt like it wrapped to easily. But I'm at least pleased that Rachel is not someone's puppet.

Mighty Member

This could have been reduced to a six issue story arc and nothing of value would have been lost.

The artwork sucked. I didn't mind it the first few issues, but man, did it get progressively worse.

I enjoyed this alright. Wonder where these kooky kids will end up. Obviously, the Tabby beat was the best. Cut #5 and #6 and I'd dare say BEST COMIC EVER.

burnett carried the book and you all just have bad taste
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

I kind of feel like this leaves off for Brisson to finish it up one day and pull a Return of Cable similar to the Return of Cyclops. Kid Cable can't go on about Stryfe and the timeline and all that and then walk around like he is supposed to be doing all this stuff that as far as we know his older self never did.

I think my favorite part was Rachel crushing Stryfe's head into the ground preparing to finish him off. I figured someone was going to have to talk her down and yep it ended up being Cable asking her not to kill Stryfe. Since there are hints that she shows up later this year as Dark Phoenix, I kind of wonder if she just takes that as her new code name and goes for more extreme methods going forward. I would like that actually, Rachel shows up at the X-Men and they ask her what she wants to call herself now, and she just says, call me Dark Phoenix! It's understandable that Rachel might be quite vengeful after this experience, and if Magneto ever breaks off from the X-Men again I wouldn't be surprised if Rachel joins him.

Fantastic Member

This was okay+. I still don't care about Deathlok, and I was done with Stryfe after The X-Cutioner's Song, but it was action-packed, with weird art and had Tabby continuing to be actual-funny like in Dead Souls.

But, sorry Shattybuns, that's not my Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I kind of feel like this leaves off for Brisson to finish it up one day and pull a Return of Cable similar to the Return of Cyclops. Kid Cable can't go on about Stryfe and the timeline and all that and then walk around like he is supposed to be doing all this stuff that as far as we know his older self never did.
    has there been anything about deadpool responding to cable's death which happened a year ago

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    has there been anything about deadpool responding to cable's death which happened a year ago
    It was in the Exterminated one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It was in the Exterminated one shot.
    *clip of norman osborn saying "oh" and getting impaled*

It was an okay story. The problem with this book for me is that it took too much time on Kid Cable, a character I really don't care for. I wish he stayed in the future, honestly. The X-Force were the thing that made people come to this book, and I feel we got very little of them.

And for me it will never make sense that people are okay with him killing Old Cable. He might become Old Cable one day, but in practical sense, they are different people, and he killed him without mercy. That's just dumb. And since he won't even apologize, I can't make myself like him and understand people being okay with him either. Also, why make the O5 come back to their time just to have a time displaced Cable? sigh

Happy that Rachel took control of her life and showed to be very powerful and heroine. I hope they have big plans for her. And Boom Boom!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    It was an okay story. The problem with this book for me is that it took too much time on Kid Cable, a character I really don't care for. I wish he stayed in the future, honestly. The X-Force were the thing that made people come to this book, and I feel we got very little of them.

And for me it will never make sense that people are okay with him killing Old Cable. He might become Old Cable one day, but in practical sense, they are different people, and he killed him without mercy. That's just dumb. And since he won't even apologize, I can't make myself like him and understand people being okay with him either. Also, why make the O5 come back to their time just to have a time displaced Cable? sigh

Happy that Rachel took control of her life and showed to be very powerful and heroine. I hope they have big plans for her. And Boom Boom!
    His decision to kill his old-self is ABSURD and TOTAL BS! Old Cable is his FUTURE self so HE IS THE ONE WHO ENDED HIS OWN LIFE! As doing so, he didn't preserve anything but what do we expect from another Marvel's drama who created a complete new useless inconsistency in the X-continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post

Agree with all of this. Wholeheartedly. Especially the too much Kid Cable part. Having said that, him staying in the future would’ve effectively closed his loop, as he would’ve continued to grow up there, come back to the present, hopped back and forth for a bit, founded X-Force and had some adventures with the X-men, and then eventually died at the hands of his younger self in Extermination. It would have, in effect, ended the character of Cable. Quite possibly permanently, with his story having played itself completely out and now being stuck in a loop.

Interesting to think about. As a Cable fan, I’m kind of glad he’s not off the board for good. He’ll be back. The old one, I mean. The real Cable. But it also would’ve been kind of a cool yet tragic ending for him, destined to die by his own hand with no way to escape this fate in the middle.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I like kid Cable, he is cute.
    I prefer normal Cable but I'm fine with the kid while it last.

Glad that Rachel had her own agency in this final issue, even if WiFi had to tell her to stand down to preserve the timeline (something she would absolutely know). However, the art in this entire series was atrocious. Okay, maybe someone enjoyed it, but I did not and it really hampered my enjoyment of the book.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Though I wonder now that this book's finished, where WiFi's gonna show up in next. I assume he might be apart of one of those first waves of books, that's been talked about after HOX. I think they're gonna have him stick around for the time being, considering this last issue was their chance to get rid of him for good and leave him in the future, and bring back Cable, so they probably have plans with him, though he has no justifiable reasons to be in the past after sending the O5 back, and bringing back Scott.