Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Even though Birds of Prey was started with Oracle and Canary and it seemed like a perfect book...the addition of Huntress and then Lady Blackhawk really made this series feel complete. Anything less than these four women is just not quite right. I like the idea of adding Zatanna as a semi-regular/reoccurring guest.

Gypsy, Onyx, Vixen, Dove, Argent....dare i say...Flamebird!!

I really do miss the Birds of Prey and wish someone at DC had the good sense to get Gail Simone back and give her the book.
    I can't figure out why do away with Oracle for a Batgirl retread.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Dan Didio's boner for market-branding based on the Silver Age status quo. The same reason why he argued to disgruntled fans of PAD's YJ that the book should have called "Teen Titans" from the very beginning, and why Impulse should have been called "Kid-Flash" from the very beginning.

Well, it worked. Batgirl, Barbara, sells well.

Astonishing Member

Batgirl was more popular in other media than she was in the comics. That tells me that the comic book writers failed to portray her -- which looking back is mostly true. A lot of people love Oracle and what she represents -- but still want to see Babs as Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Batgirl was more popular in other media than she was in the comics. That tells me that the comic book writers failed to portray her -- which looking back is mostly true. A lot of people love Oracle and what she represents -- but still want to see Babs as Batgirl.
    But the perfect blend is what we should go for . . . Barbara able to be in action as Batgirl, but still with the skillset of Oracle as well.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like the real key is to just get Babs in a position of leadership with Dinah, regardless of whether she's acting as mission control or field leader.

So... I'd go with a kind of large operation with multiple smaller "crews" capable of being deployed. And I'd make the interesting thing be that Babs is demonstrating she's a better administrator and organizer than Bruce, in the same way Dick is a better team leader.

Organizational Commander: Barbara Gordon as Oracle/Batgirl, depending on who the team is composed of and whether her physical presence is required or not. If a member knows that Batgirl and Oracle are the same person, it shows how deep into the circle of trust they are.

Field Leader: Dinah Lance as Black Canary, as really the only constant presence on every team, even under possibly hostile conditions.

Team One (Nicknamed, to their irritation, the "Big Birds"): All know about the Batgirl/Oracle connection and usually accompany Dinah as the "public" team - Helena Bertinelli as Huntress, Tatsu Yamashiro as Katana, Zinda Blake as Lady Blackhawk, and Onyx.

Team Two (Nicknamed, also to their irritation, the "Baby Birds"): Also all know about the Batgirl/Oracle Connection, and usually supplement Team One, but occasionally get their own missions - Stephanie Brown as Spoiler-Batgirl, Cassandra Cian as Black Bat/Batgirl, Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe as Mifit, Lori Zechlin as Black Alice.

Team Three (Nicknamed the "Bad Birds" because Karen liked it, and can get away with it): Heavy lifting powerhouses that don't all know about the Batgirl/Oracle connection and are basically the DEFCON 1 of the BOP, and are rarely deployed as a team, often instead being singularly recruited per mission - Karen Starr as Power Girl, Kara Kent as Supergirl, Grace Choi, Zatanna Zatara, Halo.

"There is no Team Four, I don't know what you're talking about..." (The Gotham Sirens, and no other nickname, because Selina and Pamela can't stand Harley's desire to be called the "Angry Birds"): Babs's equivalent of off-the-books, plausible deniability and sometimes mildly unethical "unconventional" forces; they're treated better than Task Force X, and usually Selina just gets them pointed at a problem, with their usage justifed as being much better than Task Force X and often more productive than hunting them down... though they *do* occasionally get seen working with other Bird teams, causing some conflict: Selina Kyle as Catwoman, Pamela Isely as Poison Ivy, Harleen Quinzel as Harley Quinn.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Since it's Birds of Prey, add Raven.
    "Cable was right!"

My second choice would be

Oracle
    Huntress
    Canary
    Batgirl

For the upcoming 2023 series,

Sorry, but this group doesn't really excite me.

I would much rather have among the members
    * Black Canary
    * Barbara (either as Oracle or as Batgirl or even as both)
    * Huntress (Bertinelli)
    * Lady Blackhawk (Zinda)
    In addition, any of the following:
    * Manhunter (Kate Spencer)
    * Phantom Lady
    * Hawkgirl (Kendra)
    * Starling
    * Strix (Mary Turner)
    * Silencer (Honor Guest)
    * Thorn (Rose Forrest)
    * Black Thorn
    * Vigilante (Patricia Trayce)
    * Cheshire

I’m open to new takes and characters on the team, but I do have a fondness for the Babs, Helena and Dinah combo.

To them, I’d also add:

Flamebird
    Onyx
    Phantom Lady
    Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal)
    Lady Blackhawk

And occasionally have Catwoman and Batwoman show up for an adventure.

Why has no one put Artemis, Yara Flor, Cassie Sandsmark, Grace Choi and Nubia on a team and called it Birds of Paradise?

Black Canary
    Oracle
    Catwoman
    Huntress
    Phantom Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    Oracle
    Black Canary
    Huntress

Guest stars as needed.
    ^^^This.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    No Harley!
    ^^^And especially this.
    I’ve got nothing against Harley but she doesn’t need to be in BoP.

At this point, it doesn't seem to be BOP. Why the use of that brand and its accompanying expectation rather than the use of a new team name or repurposing of one more generic like the Sirens?

BOP was literally willed into being by Chuck Dixon and some loyal, dedicated fans. I just don't see it as 'generic girl group'.

BOP was literally willed into being by Chuck Dixon and some loyal, dedicated fans. I just don't see it as 'generic girl group'.
    I think the only mainstay is Black Canary at this point - and to a lesser degree Babs