Default Favorite stories from the last 5 years?

In the past half decade, just these last 5 years, what has been your favorite stories? In continuity or out of continuity doesn't matter. Could be a Batman led book, or a book led by someone else in the Batfam, or even one led by one of his rogues. Could be single issue, story arc, graphic novel, whatever. Doesn't matter. Just what are the best Batman and Bat-related stories in the very recent history?

Batman: The Adventures Continue

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-07-2023 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Incredible Member

My top favorites:
    Batman: The Adventures Continue
    Joker War and Fear State (the concept of the arcs at least, wasn't a fan how both ended)
    Chip Zdarsky's Run

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I liked Tom king's run a lot.

I loved Batman: The Imposter, Joker: Killer Smile (and the Batman epilogue) and The Riddler: Year One.

Taylor's Nightwing and Waid's World's Finest are extremely enjoyable reads.

Above all of those is Dan Watters' Arkham City: The Order of the World, a wonderfully bizarre gothic psychodrama, and Sword of Azrael, perhaps the most fun I've ever had reading a DC comic.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I have truly been enjoying Tom Taylor's run on Nightwing.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Taylor's Nightwing and Waid's World's Finest are extremely enjoyable reads.
    In agreement with World's Finest from Waid/Mora, it is highly recommended (IMHO):

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Good question, bravo. (no particular order I guess)

1. Batman: Universe....I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. This lighter Bendis fare that's funny and just fun. I think Grant Morrison would have appreciated this story since it's a rare break from all the grim and gritty standard Batman comics fare.

2. All Star Batman Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy... yes, slightly more than 5 years ago, but I'm listing it anyway. An interesting fresh take on Two-Face. A fun, different romp with JRJR art to boot. Snyder is so good at story concepts, story aesthetics. He took Batman out of his element here in so many different and fun ways.

3. Dark Nights: Metal...a Batman story in my book. Snyder and Capullo, a dark cosmic Batman tale, some clever ideas and such. It was fun enough.

4. All-Star Batman, Volume 2: Ends of the Earth....yes, slightly more than 5 years ago, but I'm listing it anyway. Really liked all the arcs in this trade, Snyder found a fresh way to use Ra's, raise the stakes with him, and I really enjoyed it, Ra's vs Batman in Wash DC, what a sight. Ra's and Americana, only Snyder could make it work.

5. Batman/Catwoman... King's strong characterization really carries this. Particularly his Joker.

6. Batman: Fear State...it was nice to see Scarecrow used in a bigger way in a big story.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-09-2023 at 10:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pretty much just Worlds Finest, The Adventures continue, Nightwing by Tom Taylor and Batman Universe. Everything else has pretty much been garbage
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Pretty much just Worlds Finest, The Adventures continue, Nightwing by Tom Taylor and Batman Universe. Everything else has pretty much been garbage
    You did not like Impostor? I'll happily add The Batman's Grave as a Long Halloween or Hush gauntlet type story.

EDIT: My favorite thing from the last 5 years even more than Matt Reeves' movie is the Batman Audio Adventures. Penguin, Joker and Riddler were really shining here.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-10-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Batman The Adventures Continue.
    Batman Annual #2.
    Batman Annual #3 especially.
    Batman Annual #4.
    Chip Zdarsky Batman.
    Tom Taylor Nightwing.
    Batman The Long Halloween Special.
    Batman: White Knight.
    Super Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Batman The Long Halloween Special
    OMG! Thanks for the reminder. The critics won't agree, but it's a modern-day classic (IMHO):

Fantastic Member

Batman '89
    The White Knight
    Three Jokers
    Tom King's run (didn't like everything, but "I Am Suicide", "I Am Bane", and "The War of Jokes and Riddles" were standouts for me)
    Nightwing (only read first volume of Tom Taylor's run so far but it was very good)

I also liked Batman, Inc., and some of the Jace Fox series, Batman & The Outsiders, Catwoman, and Riddler: Year One, and Suicide Squad: Get Joker (only read the first issues of Riddler and Get Joker but would like to finish it).

Taylor's Nightwing
    One Bad Day Clayface
    Zdarsky's Batman so far
    Long Halloween Special
    Sword of Azrael
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-