View Poll Results: Which post-Bendis flagship title has been the worst?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extraordinary X-Men by Lemire

22 14.97%
  • X-Men Gold by Guggenheim

64 43.54%
  • Uncanny X-Men by Rosenberg

61 41.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Actually, wait. Gold and EXM looked great. Uncanny don't got that.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary and Gold are relatively harmless, but I think Uncanny is actually more damaging to the overall mythos and took characters off the board in the most anticlimactic way with the most pretentious message.
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-17-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't think there has been a good team book Post Bendis outside of Red.
    I also liked X-Men Blue, and a lot of people seem to like Bunn's Uncanny. Generation X was also cute, though I get why many dislike it. But I agree Red was the best overall, and that all the other side team books were also bad lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Actually, wait. Gold and EXM looked great. Uncanny don't got that.
    I wouldn't say they looked great. Ramos was awful and Gold's artists were just ok.

Rosenberg's Uncanny by a mile. All three were bad, but only Rosenberg's was actually damaging.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I voted Extraordinary, with Uncanny taking the number 2 spot. Gold was bad, but it wasn't offensively bad: it was just offensively boring.

I know Lemire wasn't totally at fault for everything that happened in his run, but a lot of simple issue progression and plotting made it seem like he'd never written a comic before. Really atrocious work. Although I will give credit to issue 17 (or whichever one the first IvX tie-in was): that was actually a very good Storm-centered issue.

I know Rosenberg can write decent (at best) stuff, but Uncanny has been pretty horrible. Terrible pacing, nonsensical character beats, crappy art. Get Rosenberg off my X-Books and keep him gone.

Like I said above, Guggenheim is just mediocre and obscenely boring. I never knew you could get 30+ issues out of a man masturbating to nostalgia, but there ya go.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't think there has been a good team book Post Bendis outside of Red.
    This. But if I had to pick a worst of the bunch it's Rosenberg's Uncanny.

Gold was boring, but Uncanny was actually horrendous! Characters acting OOC throughout the run, awful deaths and unexplained resurrections. I'm now adamant that I will never buy another book written by Rosenberg ever again, there is simply nothing good about any of his writing.

I voted Uncanny due to recency bias, but I think Gold is still worse.

1. Gold
    2. Rosenanny
    3. EXM

Rosenberg's felt a little fresher than Gold and had more interesting ideas but was poorly developed and executed. Gold also made me actively dislike the characters within.

BANNED

All three are offensive in their own way. But gotta go with Gold because I'm still paying for therapy because of it Also it's going to take years before Kitty can be used again while you know at least the white men killed by Rosenberg will be back by year's end.

Gold by far is the worse book,It didn't have set up to hamstring it. This was someone idea of what the X-men should be in a ideal setting and it was a bad book. It had an all star cast of X-men favorites, It got to do a big milepoint for the franchise in wedding and it drop the ball. As bad EXM and Uncanny have been It is easy money to think that Rosenberg and Lemiere writes stories about the X-men living in mansion and doing X-men stuff way better than Guggs. Here is quote from Jeff Lemire

the X-Men stuff was… Kind of a nightmare, to the honest. Really difficult. I came into [it] and they already had storylines in place I had to use that I probably wouldn’t come up with myself, and I felt editorial was very restricting in what they wanted. And too many notes.
    Think about which situation you would want to write the X-men in. With some stupid event you didn't create? In between ending of old status quo and right before Hickman changes everything? Or access to every major X-man except Cyclops and Wolverine(but you still have OML) and free range to go in any direction you want with no restrictions? X-men Gold is bad book with very few reasons for it to be a bad book other than its storyline choices other than interference with the Wedding storyline.

Fantastic Member

I kinda enjoyed uncanny. It wasn't great, and it really flubbed the landing (the last three issues were....ugh. I really thought there would be a twist), but I'm a sucker for back against the wall stories.

I disliked Bendis's run. A lot. But he had ideas. His writing style just isn't for me.

But extraordinary...oy. Nothing made sense and everything seemed hamfisted and glossed over. I guess Storm got a decent new costume, but it actually hurt to read.

Gold - 36 issues and I only liked one (the wedding). The run was boring and downright dreadful. Definitely worst of the lot

Extraordinary - hated it. Good cast but horrible art and plots

Uncanny has its issues and I dislike Rosenberg as a writer but I did find some of it enjoyable, even if most was bad

Uncanny under Rosenberg. None of the runs listed were very good, but I can at least think of things I actually liked in EXM and Gold, even if they were tiny, tangential details or one-page scenes. Also, Gambit literally stealing literally stealing Kitty's wedding might not have been Guggs' choice, but it was still epic, and Bobby's FWB thing with Simon, shockingly enough, kind of grew on me after a bit. Rosenberg's run was a joyless mess of weightless deaths, mangled and half-considered metaphors, inconsistent characterization and off-sides developments, so he gets the nod.

So, Extraordinary has the problem of being written by a writer that can’t do teams (or at least teams that aren’t created by him) and being saddled with an uninteresting status quo. Ultimately, the books surrounding it are much better. Meanwhile, Uncanny just perplexes me. I’m constantly confuddled by the decisions in this run, especially since we know that they will be ignored.

But Gold makes me mad. It ruined Kitty, the wedding sucked (also, I don’t think Guggenheim wrote it), the Syaf kerfuffle, etc. And then you look at poor Bunn over on Blue who’s forced to do things he doesn’t want to do while Guggenheim gets everything he wants (except the wedding). If “How Did This Get Made” did episodes about comics, this run would be perfect for them to tear into.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Extraordinary and Gold are relatively harmless, but I think Uncanny is actually more damaging to the overall mythos and took characters off the board in the most anticlimactic way with the most pretentious message.
    Exactly. Gold and Extraordinary were just very boring, uninspired recycled stories. But they didn't do much damage. I even felt confortable dropping both of those runs to wait them out because of how inconsequential I knew they would be in the long run.
    Rosenberg's is just an exercise in pretentiousness. He tried to go as big as possible, but all he did was damage tons of characters without building anything new or exciting. Just a huge mess that I hope will get retconned ASAP.