View Poll Results: Which post-Bendis flagship title has been the worst?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extraordinary X-Men by Lemire

22 14.97%
  • X-Men Gold by Guggenheim

64 43.54%
  • Uncanny X-Men by Rosenberg

61 41.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

To those saying Rosenberg's run will do long-time damage, I don't think we can definitively say that for about another year. We need to see what Hickman does and does not incorporate/reference before we can say how harmful the run was.

I thought Loeb's Wolverine run would destroy the character, but, while it lead to developments in Wolverine: Origins, it didn't really have much affect on anything after that book ended. Even then, that book kinda undercut what Loeb seemed to be going for in his initial run.

Still, Rosenberg's Uncanny sucked.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I voted Uncanny due to recency bias, but I think Gold is still worse.

1. Gold
    2. Rosenanny
    3. EXM

Rosenberg's felt a little fresher than Gold and had more interesting ideas but was poorly developed and executed. Gold also made me actively dislike the characters within.
    I don't see anything in UXM (2019) that was fresher than rehashing Claremont.
    "Cable was right!"

I voted Gold because I was actually enjoying Uncanny for a while in concept while Gold I never once enjoyed. But whew lad Uncanny and Age of X are really head scratching. I keep telling myself it's because they knew Hickman was going to flip the table on them so there was no point but to give everyone a few months of drama and take these characters to their lowest point ever... but then the writing just kept getting weirder and more rushed and kept doing things to characters that made zero sense.

People bitch all the time about Bendis, but that run was a masterpiece in comparison to the last few years I feel.

Extraordinary suffered a terrible editorial intervention.

Uncanny was bold but bad.

Gold was bad and mediocre. The worst thing a story can be. So it's my vote.

Voted Extraordinary.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    People bitch all the time about Bendis, but that run was a masterpiece in comparison to the last few years I feel.
    I'm in total agreement. Bunn's books and Extermination were the only bright spot in the last few years' worth of X-Books: the latter because it finally got the O5 home. The rest have been head-scatchingly bad.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I'm going with Gold. Here are some of my thoughts around each:

Extraordinary:
    - I think began the cycle of blase Flagships.
    - had some interesting plot points, but was hampered with the nonsensical "Scott Summers was evil incarnate" and the T-Mist problem
    - Had bearded Bear-lossus
    - Had creept OML and Jeen vibes
    - Had Jeen explaining things to Storm on how the astral plane worked when Storm had been on said plane at least 100x more than she at that point
    - I enjoyed Sapna and Magik. Hated the take on Storm

Uncanny:
    - Fresh take on how these extermination events psychologically affect the characters in them
    - Was a killfest where the majority of the deaths meant nothing in terms of true sacrifice or were hampered with poor reader reception or outright anger on real-life allegories
    - Had a reasonable good cast to work with, but too large to make anyone not Scott or Logan feel important
    - Had random characters come back to life (only to kill them again as they fulfilled Rosenbergs 'explanation' on how things could happen i.e. Cortez)
    - Had good moments of enjoyable dialogue and story-telling
    - tried to bring Emma out of the full dark, but it's handling fell flat with readers

Gold:
    - Furthered the assault on Storm, leaving many to wonder if in fact she was just a Storm-bot who could only say "my friend" and throw lightning
    - Made Kitty Pryde the most unlikable leader the X-Men has ever had. I feel like Xavier should come back and ask, "What was that about ME being a jerk?"
    - Turned Colossus into this pathetic lovesick stalker when his previous character development was a return to him being badass (I still love him and Dom together)
    - Guggenheim demanded that OML had that awful trenchcoat for the entire run, so most artists had it shredded in the battles ASAP because they hated it. Also he was lucky and got booted early
    - Nightcrawler became Mr. Impalement and did nothing but almost die, comment on how he can't die, and fall in love with Rachel which still makes me feel weird
    - Rachel, Guggenheim's fav character in his book, received tremendous character and power upgrades: She could now read minds outside of the same room, use her tk in more powerful ways, pass out ever action scene (like her mom from TAS), have houndmarks that apparently no one knew about, be mind-controlled by Mesmero...twice, attack her friends, fall in love (and then end it) with Kurt, and show how terrible a friend Kitty Pryde is by allowing Kitty to choose her codename and costume.
    - Had gay alien Nazi's
    - Made Storm a goddess.....only because she wielded her old hammer
    - Brought back Ink and had him in a prominent role for an arc or two.

BANNED

- Guggenheim demanded that OML had that awful trenchcoat for the entire run, so most artists had it shredded in the battles ASAP because they hated it.
    What? They removed the trenchcoat very quickly. I think they even mentioned it in the letters pages. Which makes it even more galling that Prestige and Anti-Semitty are still around 2.5 years later.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    What? They removed the trenchcoat very quickly. I think they even mentioned it in the letters pages. Which makes it even more galling that Prestige and Anti-Semitty are still around 2.5 years later.
    I was talking with Ken Lashley at a comic con last year and he was going on about how during the first year of the run Guggs instructed that the trenchcoat be part of his look. Ken and other artists really didn't like the idea so the only way around it was shredding it every issue in a battle. Eventually it was just dropped from the required character sketch.

1. Uncanny
    2. Gold
    3. Extraordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I'm going with Gold.

Gold:
    - Furthered the assault on Storm, leaving many to wonder if in fact she was just a Storm-bot who could only say "my friend" and throw lightning
    - Made Kitty Pryde the most unlikable leader the X-Men has ever had. I feel like Xavier should come back and ask, "What was that about ME being a jerk?"
    - Turned Colossus into this pathetic lovesick stalker when his previous character development was a return to him being badass (I still love him and Dom together)
    - Guggenheim demanded that OML had that awful trenchcoat for the entire run, so most artists had it shredded in the battles ASAP because they hated it. Also he was lucky and got booted early
    - Nightcrawler became Mr. Impalement and did nothing but almost die, comment on how he can't die, and fall in love with Rachel which still makes me feel weird
    - Rachel, Guggenheim's fav character in his book, received tremendous character and power upgrades: She could now read minds outside of the same room, use her tk in more powerful ways, pass out ever action scene (like her mom from TAS), have houndmarks that apparently no one knew about, be mind-controlled by Mesmero...twice, attack her friends, fall in love (and then end it) with Kurt, and show how terrible a friend Kitty Pryde is by allowing Kitty to choose her codename and costume.
    - Had gay alien Nazi's
    - Made Storm a goddess.....only because she wielded her old hammer
    - Brought back Ink and had him in a prominent role for an arc or two.
    My favorite sum of Gold ever! Thank you for this! Haha
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don't see anything in UXM (2019) that was fresher than rehashing Claremont.
    Rosenberg got some points with a non-traditional setup with the Harry’s Hideaway HQ, some good Hope moments, and some of his cast choices were more exciting (Kwannon, Moonstar, Dark Beast). It’s a low bar that he stepped over from Gold’s subterranean bar.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I haven't seen a good Hope moment since X-Force.
    What's the point of choosing those characters if they're just gonna be fodder?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I haven't seen a good Hope moment since X-Force.
    What's the point of choosing those characters if they're just gonna be fodder?
    I sincerely believe that Hope, Juggernaut and Banshee were for their powers and not for their characters. He needed someone capable of copying powers for the portal after Magik and confronting Emma. He needed someone who could fly for his chemtrail absurdity. Just as the only role of Juggernaut is to have someone with telepathic resistance.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I sincerely believe that Hope, Juggernaut and Banshee were for their powers and not for their characters. He needed someone capable of copying powers for the portal after Magik and confronting Emma. He needed someone who could fly for his chemtrail absurdity. Just as the only role of Juggernaut is to have someone with telepathic resistance.
    I give you banshee and Juggs, but I believe Hope is just a hold over for whatever story he really wanted to tell. Rosenberg LOVES writing romances between fucked up people and the fact that he wanted to write Hope/Magik means he had a pretty big idea for hope in whatever initial draft he had.