Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Facial recognition software

In the latest issue of Nightwing, "Ric" Grayson is identified through facial recognition software as Richard Grayson while wearing his current disguise. (Don't ask the obvious question: I don't know why I'm reading Nightwing. I just am.)

Isn't facial recognition software a thing that pretty much any superhero comic involving secret identities should pretend doesn't exist?

If it does exist, how is that any costumed character that doesn't wear a full face mask still has a secret identity? If they can figure out Dick Grayson while he's in disguise how is it they don't know about Clark Kent?

I saw a joking comic strip about this a couple of weeks ago. It showed Lois Lane uploading pictures of Superman to Facebook, and FB's facial recognition came back with "Tag Clark Kent?"

Edit: Found it:
    https://me.me/i/want-to-tag-clark-ke...e-just-5454807
    Last edited by Fromper; 07-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Either Clark Kent keeps an extremely low profile, or he vibrates his molecules to throw off cameras.

Superman has a real strong sense of situational awareness.

I'm not worried about it.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-18-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    In the latest issue of Nightwing, "Ric" Grayson is identified through facial recognition software as Richard Grayson while wearing his current disguise. (Don't ask the obvious question: I don't know why I'm reading Nightwing. I just am.)

Isn't facial recognition software a thing that pretty much any superhero comic involving secret identities should pretend doesn't exist?

If it does exist, how is that any costumed character that doesn't wear a full face mask still has a secret identity? If they can figure out Dick Grayson while he's in disguise how is it they don't know about Clark Kent?
    I agree with you. They need either much worse (more realistic, for the time being) facial recognition or more technology to avoid being picked up (weren't there some super-technological unnoticeable masks being used by the Bats in N52)?

There are quite a few heroes that don't wear masks, and still many more that wear dominoes.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

You're right but the Ric Grayson thing is started with a hero who doesn't wear protective helmet getting sniped, which is another thing we don't talk about when it comes to superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree with you. They need either much worse (more realistic, for the time being) facial recognition or more technology to avoid being picked up (weren't there some super-technological unnoticeable masks being used by the Bats in N52)?
    Yeah. The EMP mask. First appeared in Black Mirror, I think Dick used it to infiltrate an auction of superhero-related items. He used it again to disguise himself as The Joker in New 52, and as a random person when he's interrogating people at a bar or something.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-18-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Some of the more well-thought out characters address that issue. Like Mr. Terrific who can't be seen by any tech or Black Lightning whose face is blurred through his own built-in powerset.

As for other secret ID characters it just doesn't jive with all the in-universe advanced tech.

You'd have to make up an "unstable molecules" type of excuse where any hero who knows anybody was given some face-obfuscating tech in their mask developed by Batman or Mr T. Spyral has similar tech (One could also easily say GL's rings block that kind of scanning as a passive protective measure)

Astonishing Member

I always figure that Bruce has some Bat-virus that has infiltrated most facial databases to prevent anyone but him from matching photos of his allies.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I always figure that Bruce has some Bat-virus that has infiltrated most facial databases to prevent anyone but him from matching photos of his allies.
    That's a cool explanation.

I also think there are likely subtle techniques with even small domino masks that make certain features seem different; flatter or more angled, etc.

Boisterously Confused

S&S gave us to the answer to Superman within the first few issues of Action Comics. Superman had enough muscular control to alter his features indefinitely, and at least twice used it to impersonate others. No writer or artist has touched it since, but maybe it's time to bring that idea back as the explanation of how a pair of glasses make people mistake The Man of Tomorrow for a Mild-mannered Reporter.

at one point they had superman would vibrate his face enough to get around surveillance machines, cameras and the like.

I would imagine dominos masks would be completely useless with that tech so that impacts a few.

Retired

When I'm trying to get into a secure site and it shows me a bunch of images that a robot can't work out but humans easily can, I assume that the robots are trying to learn from this how to do that thing, but they haven't accumulated enough memory yet to work it out.

I would guess that comic book images are like that. Maybe robots can figure out some comic book images, but there are so many things going on in a comic book panel that it's not easy for a robot to figure it all out the way that we humans do. So how does a robot figure out the difference between a bunch of comic book characters--who all have the exact same skin colour, eye colour, hair colour, facial features, body proportions--and yet are drawn slightly differently by every penciller that draws them?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    There was a Batman issue once in which some computer techie managed to use facial recognition software to learn Batman's secret identity (while Batman was wearing his usual mask mind you). The techie then tried to blackmail Bruce Wayne and Wayne completely caved, told Alfred to go to his apartment and give him the money.

Alfred then killed the techie (off-panel).

I am totally serious.

Astonishing Member

Pre-Crisis there used to be tons of doppelgangers. Superman had one who was Earthly royalty, several identical relatives in Kandor, and at least four alien counterparts who were dead ringers for him. Wonder Woman assumed the identity of a real Diana Prince who looked enough Wonder Woman that no one noticed. Barry Allen had a crime boss named Ross Malverik. Hal Jordan had a twin brother who tried to claim to be Green Lantern to impress his fiancé. And this is not counting shape-shifters, parallel world version...

I can just picture someone using facial recognition in the Silver Age on a hero and getting back dozens of potential matches. Or matching Clark and Superman only for both to show up, match the patameters for the computer and the guy just give up on the whole idea of facial recognition.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 07-19-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    at one point they had superman would vibrate his face enough to get around surveillance machines, cameras and the like.

I would imagine dominos masks would be completely useless with that tech so that impacts a few.
    You know, a clever writer could make some team hay out of this.

"Among the other benefits to joining Our League, Cash-strapped Streetfighter Man, is a free Mr. Terrific-tech microcircuit upgrade to your domino mask. It projects light and shadow over your face that are practically unnoticeable, but that deeply confuse nosy facial recognition programs..."

A similar gimmick might be a JL/TT tapeworm that sabotages facial.databases.