Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mike Baron Flash TPB out on 3/31/20

The Flash: Savage Velocity by Mike Baron TPB

$39.99 On sale Mar 31, 2020, 480 Pages

Collected for the first time comes Eisner Award nominee Mike Baron’s The Flash detailing the aftermath of the epic DC Universe changing event, Crisis on Infinite Earths.

During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Barry Allen–a.k.a. The Flash–made the ultimate sacrifice and gave his life to save millions. In his stead, the world welcomes the new Fastest Man Alive, as Wally West picks up his mentor’s mantle.

Collects The Flash issues #1-18 and Flash Annual #1.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I feel like fans had wanted this collected for a while now.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

On one hand this is great. Collected one of my favorite creators, Mike Baron's, run on the Flash in one volume makes me feel assured that all of it will be collected instead of the worst case scenario of DC spreading the material to multiple volumes which leaves the likelihood that further volumes will be cancelled leaving the run incomplete.

Always Rakzo

Well, this is cool for collectors I guess.

Aside from that, this mostly serves as the dull groundwork for the infinitely superior William Messner-Loebs run (Release that already DC!).

I agree that William Messner-Loeb was the best Flash writer for Wally by far, but I think Barron did a great job of adding to the cast and felt the series hit the ground running so to speak. I wish this would have started long ago before I bought the singles (mostly fifty cents each on a digital sale but still I prefer trades to singles in my collection just for scrolling purposes)

I'd recommend this to any fan of Wally or the Flash, if it does well and they hit the WML run I think people will realize just how much better Messner-Loebs was to what came before and after. He gave Wally his heart.

Fantastic Member

I'm going to serve as a de facto pinata by stating that I LOVED Baron's run on the Flash, particularly the first twelve issues. His very first issue, in my humble opinion, was one of the best written first issues of a character from that late 80s period at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    I'm going to serve as a de facto pinata by stating that I LOVED Baron's run on the Flash, particularly the first twelve issues. His very first issue, in my humble opinion, was one of the best written first issues of a character from that late 80s period at DC.

I too loved Baron’s run. As well as Messner-Loebs’. I prefer their runs to Waid’s.

It's good to see more and more of Wally's Flash series being collected. I'll be buying this one.

I wouldn't recommend this run at all, but I guess it's nice to see more stuff collected.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    You are not alone the first issue was exciting right out of the gate. Not a typical super slugfest he laid some nice groundwork for the series in those first 24 pages. Barron did a nice job of world building in his run.

Looking forward to this. I got the fifth Mark Waid collection on sale a few months back, and now I'm planning on getting all the Wally-Flash collections. And add me to those hoping for a Messner-Loeb collection, those few issues of his run I got at a convention were fantastic.

Wow. I'm really surprised by all the love for this run. I just reread these issues recently, and I can honestly say that if this had been my first exposure to the character, I never would have bought another Flash comic. It's not a bad run, just not particularly good. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give most of Baron's issues a 4. Maybe a 5 for his best issue. Except for the Annual. That was bad.

Messner-Loebs' run was MUCH better, once he got past the initial part of his run where he was continuing Baron's style and plotlines. And Waid's run was MUCH better Messner-Loebs'.

Also, this TPB going to issue 18 means that it'll include the first 4 issues of Messner-Loebs' run, since Baron left after issue 14. But Messner-Loebs started out copying Baron's style and continuing what he started, so it kinda fits.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    Messner-Loebs' run was MUCH better, once he got past the initial part of his run where he was continuing Baron's style and plotlines. And Waid's run was MUCH better than Messner-Loebs'.
    Definitely debatable.

I actually stopped reading during Waid's run. His Wally felt off like all the DC characters Waid tries to write, add in the awfulness that is the speed force and I'm not sure why anyone liked it. To each their own I suppose. If the trade has nice restoration or extras I may pick it up on sale just to support the effort of them collecting up to 61? I think was the last issue if memory serves.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    Wow. I'm really surprised by all the love for this run. I just reread these issues recently, and I can honestly say that if this had been my first exposure to the character, I never would have bought another Flash comic. It's not a bad run, just not particularly good. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give most of Baron's issues a 4. Maybe a 5 for his best issue. Except for the Annual. That was bad.

Messner-Loebs' run was MUCH better, once he got past the initial part of his run where he was continuing Baron's style and plotlines. And Waid's run was MUCH better Messner-Loebs'.

Also, this TPB going to issue 18 means that it'll include the first 4 issues of Messner-Loebs' run, since Baron left after issue 14. But Messner-Loebs started out copying Baron's style and continuing what he started, so it kinda fits.
    I will say I agree that's Baron's issues aren't particularly great. I liked Speed Demon, but he wrote Wally as an almost completely unlikeable jerk. Thankfully, Messner-Loebs took the reins and did a stellar job of bringing Wally to a point where he was FAR more likeable (not to mention heroic) - writing the progression in a way that wasn't a total character about-face from where Baron left Wally.

In regards to Waid being MUCH better than Bill - sorry, I'm not with you on that one. While he certainly had a career defining run with the book, he did so by building upon what Messner-Loebs had put in place. He could not have managed what he did without the solid foundation already in place. William Messner-Loebs simply does NOT get the recognition he deserves. I'm of the opinion the book would not have made it past #50 if it weren't for his taking over from Baron.
    Last edited by married guy; 07-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.