Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    William Messner-Loebs simply does NOT get the recognition he deserves. I'm of the opinion the book would not have made it past #50 if it weren't for his taking over from Baron.
    That much, I definitely agree with. I think this book just continued to get better, starting with Baron's mediocre run, to Messner-Loebs' slightly better early run, getting better in the later part of M-L's run, and reaching its peak with the first 30 or so issues of Waid's run. I do think Waid reached his peak in the first half of his run, especially "The Return of Barry Allen", which I still consider the greatest Flash story of all time.

I guess the lack of love for Waid's run surprises me as much as all the love for Baron's run.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

While I would not say that Mike Baron's tenure as the writer of the Wally West FLASH series was the best part of that title's history, it is probably my favorite part of it. I enjoyed reading about Wally's early struggles and adjustments as he coped with having to live up to the legacy of Barry Allen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I neither loved nor hated Baron's run. Preferred Messner-Loeb and Waid. Still... of course I'm going to get it!

(My real complaint is that it is a paperback and not hardbound. That many pages? I like a nice hard surface to read from. Also worried that it will be glue binding that gives out after a few years and gutter loss.)

Isn't it sad that after the past decade of abuse as a Wally West fan my first reaction of hearing of this after so long wishing they'd make trades of early Wally as the Flash is.... worry overshadowed happiness? They've trained me not to expect nice things.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    While I would not say that Mike Baron's tenure as the writer of the Wally West FLASH series was the best part of that title's history, it is probably my favorite part of it. I enjoyed reading about Wally's early struggles and adjustments as he coped with having to live up to the legacy of Barry Allen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yeah, I could see where Mike Baron was coming from, and it was DEFINITELY the right way to kick things off - but I think he just leaned into it a little too much...
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I liked Mike Barons run. It wasnt as good as Messner-Loeb and Waids but it had its own place and did it's own thing.

This was a rookie Wally who still had some growing up to do. All part of the journey. The later runs wouldn't have been as satisfying without this run.

Also they were trying to go for a very different take which they touted often as "This is not the Flash you know." So I can appreciate that.

Specifically as well they had some cool stuff. Killg%re. Tina Mcgee's Speed demon husband. The Russian speedsters. Chunk.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Retired

Funny thing is I read all of the Mike Baron and William Messner-Loebs run, but soon after Mark Waid started on the comic, I lost interest and didn't read most of his run--although I did read IMPULSE--and only coming back to FLASH when Grant Morrison and Mark Millar were on the book and then stayed with the title until soon after Geoff Johns came aboard, never returning to it after that.