Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default When Did Batman Gothic and Batman Prey Take Place In Batman Continuity?

I have just reread the first fifteen issues of Legends of the Dark Knight and I am wondering when the second storyline, Gothic, and the third storyline Prey, specifically took place. I know the obvious: they take place in the early days of Batman's career, probably the same year as Year One, but that isn't specific enough for me.

I would please like to know how they correspond with the Golden Age Batman issues and what storylines they probably take place in the middle of.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-18-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Incredible Member

Prey takes place after Batman & the Monster Men and Batman & the Mad Monk, and probably before the Joker's debut in The Man Who Laughs, although certain scenes in Prey depicting the debut of the Batmobile and Batsignal conflict with scenes in those stories (par the course for early Batman tales). Within the context of Batman: Year One's given calendar dates, it would be mid-to-late November. Gothic ends on May Day (May 1) at a dubiously early point in Batman's career, presumably in Year Two.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Prey takes place after Batman & the Monster Men and Batman & the Mad Monk, and probably before the Joker's debut in The Man Who Laughs, although certain scenes in Prey depicting the debut of the Batmobile and Batsignal conflict with scenes in those stories (par the course for early Batman tales). Within the context of Batman: Year One's given calendar dates, it would be mid-to-late November. Gothic ends on May Day (May 1) at a dubiously early point in Batman's career, presumably in Year Two.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I have just reread the first fifteen issues of Legends of the Dark Knight and I am wondering when the second storyline, Gothic, and the third storyline Prey, specifically took place. I know the obvious: they take place in the early days of Batman's career, probably the same year as Year One, but that isn't specific enough for me.

I would please like to know how they correspond with the Golden Age Batman issues and what storylines they probably take place in the middle of.
    hopefully you can find the answer here

https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...1-10/year-two/

It positions it on Year 2 not year 1
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 07-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The official TP description on their digital store says Prey is within Year One

"Set in the same time as Frank Miller's seminal BATMAN: YEAR ONE storyline, a rookie Dark Knight must confront the sinister Dr. Hugo Strange, a man with a deadly secret, out to stop and, if necessary, kill the Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The official TP description on their digital store says Prey is within Year One

"Set in the same time as Frank Miller's seminal BATMAN: YEAR ONE storyline, a rookie Dark Knight must confront the sinister Dr. Hugo Strange, a man with a deadly secret, out to stop and, if necessary, kill the Batman."
    Prey does take place on Year One, I was talking about Gothic, sorry, I just realize that wasnt clear

the blog has a pretty well done researc about the entire continuity and put Gothic on Year 2
    I wanted to provide much detailed context

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I see it as going like this:
    Monster Men
    Mad Monk
    Man Who Laughs
    Prey
    Gothic
    Venom

I'm doing a Batman early years custom bind that will use this order.

Mad Monk's end really seems to suggest Joker's first appearance is directly after. Then the show goes back to Hugo Strange in Prey (which Wagner's Batman and the Mad Monk also hints at).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-20-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Define "continuity". Do you mean "Post Crisis (1987-2011) continuity, or New 52 + (2011 - ) continuity???

Am aware handfuls of Post-Crisis age stories still counted, even handfuls of Pre-Crisis, considering an issue of King's Batman that had Colonel Blimp and Captain Stingaree, but for instance, Long Halloween no longer is in continuity, as evident in Carmine Falcone's active involvement in Batman Eternal, as well as Two-Face, until they reverse his official origin back to traditional origin, his now origin may have stuck now to Erin McKillen's vengeance on him.
    Last edited by ngroove; 07-20-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Well, as of James Robinson's "Deface the Face", we are officially back to Maroni throwing acid in Harvey's face.

As for Prey's position to Joker's debut it could go either way. Prey supposedly fires up the Batsignal for first time, Man Who Laughs has it debuting two weeks after Joker's debut, Do You Understand These Rights has it lit immediately after Joker is first captured, and this isn't even taking Lovers and Madmen into account or the fact that all these stories supposedly feature the debut of the Batmobile.

It's almost a blesing that DC's continuity is so nebulous right now because you can kind of supplant it with whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Define "continuity". Do you mean "Post Crisis (1987-2011) continuity, or New 52 + (2011 - ) continuity???

Am aware handfuls of Post-Crisis age stories still counted, even handfuls of Pre-Crisis, considering an issue of King's Batman that had Colonel Blimp and Captain Stingaree, but for instance, Long Halloween no longer is in continuity, as evident in Carmine Falcone's active involvement in Batman Eternal, as well as Two-Face, until they reverse his official origin back to traditional origin, his now origin may have stuck now to Erin McKillen's vengeance on him.
    I am referring to Post Crisis, Pre Zero Hour.