Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Green Lantern

Then "Green Lantern/Green Arrow." They had a fun dynamic

JLA - almost impossible to beat the Satellite League lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Green Lantern

Those last two are definitely bronze age, not silver to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I kinda thought the silver age ended with "Crisis" but that's just me - I don't know what's the standard. When did the Bronze Age begin?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Maybe to you, but I don't think we need to be so strict. Restingvoice referred to "The Jungle Cat Queen" from DETECTIVE COMICS 211 (September 1954)--if I was going to be fussy, I might point out that that isn't "Silver Age" either. And it was the last appearance of Catwoman for more than ten years. But everyone is entitled to their own parameters.

I kinda thought the silver age ended with "Crisis" but that's just me - I don't know what's the standard. When did the Bronze Age begin?
    It's all a blurry line, different in some titles than others. 1968 had the writer purge, and that's often used as the shift-point. 1970 is usually the latest date used for the beginning of the bronze age, though you will still see some stories that are more silver age well after that. For JLA, I'd go from either as early as O'Neil took over the title in late 1968 to as late as the first appearance of the satellite in 1970 as the start of the bronze age.

Anyway, for the sake of this thread, the era where fewer stories continued, wacky stories were more likely, there was less interpersonal conflict between heroes, less attention to personal lives in general, stories were more likely to be contained to one issue, etc. I guess I mean the DC era before comics "grew up." That's what I meant when I asked, anyway. I guess I use the Wikipedia description of "The Silver Age of Comic Books was a period of artistic advancement and widespread commercial success in mainstream American comic books, predominantly those featuring the superhero archetype. Following the Golden Age of Comic Books and an interregnum in the early to mid-1950s, the Silver Age is considered to cover the period from 1956 to circa 1970, and was succeeded by the Bronze and Modern Ages." Nailing down an exact year is difficult, but that's the general time frame I was thinking of.

FTR, I love the satellite-era league and quite like bronze-age Ollie, too.

Maybe to you, but I don't think we need to be so strict. Restingvoice referred to "The Jungle Cat Queen" from DETECTIVE COMICS 211 (September 1954)--if I was going to be fussy, I might point out that that isn't "Silver Age" either. And it was the last appearance of Catwoman for more than ten years. But everyone is entitled to their own parameters.
    Okay, but I started the thread and specifically said I didn't want to count bronze-age. I was curious for favorites in a certain flavor, which had passed for some comics by then, and certainly passed for those.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-26-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Probably Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), followed by:
    Robotman
    Nightshade
    Wally West
    The Question
    Metamorpho
    Bwana Beast
    The Creeper

I'll still go with Green Lantern (Broome/Kane) and JLA. I didn't read too much other DC of that age.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I love the Silver Age. It was outlandish at times for sure but many of those characters and concepts have stood the test of time brilliantly. A great idea is a great idea forever.

As for a particular favourite character, well, it fluctuates. I'd probably say Hal Jordan but I'm fond of many of them. Superman comics were utterly bonkers back then, and in a good way.

'Yes Robin, I've become a human fish' - Batman #118, published September 1958. Great stuff.

Astonishing Member

My favorites are Flash, Hawkman, Metamorpho, Aquaman and Elongated Man. Green Lantern's pretty good too and I have a soft spot for SA Teen Titans, as silly as they were. For Aquaman, my favorite stuff is actually from before he became king of Atlantis. He interacted with regular surface-dwellers more and Aqualad served more of a purpose at that point.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Dinah Laurel Lance as Black Canary.

Batman easily.

This was when he was just a "great detective" and he could his get his butt kicked by.....anyone. But somehow always pulled through no matter what. Just a great character to cheer for.

Green Lantern / Green Arrow was bronze age.

Silver age would have been more Hal and Barry, especially when GL became back up in the Flash.

Again Satellite era was bronze age, Silver age they were still in the Happy Harbor sanctuary.

In fact both of these events you site (see Denny O'Neil's involvement) somewhat indicate the transition to the Bronze age.

Silver age lead to the Bronze age, Bronze age ended with Crisis .
    Two markers among others for the transition from silver to bronze age (or age of relevance) had to do with the involvement of Denny O'Neil , one was the Green Lantern Green Arrow team up, the hard traveling hero adventures.
    An other was the Justice League's move from the Sanctuary to the Satellite.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-27-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Dinah Laurel Lance as Black Canary.
    She's Bronze age:
    (During the Gold and then Silver age (crossovers) She only existed as the one character).
    Read JLA#219 and #220 (which first began to establish them as two separate characters) was Bronze Age.

Last edited by Güicho; 07-27-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    She's Bronze age:
    (During the Gold and then Silver age (crossovers) She only existed as the one character).
    Read JLA#219 and #220 (which first began to establish them as two separate characters) was Bronze Age.

It was made known to me that Dinah Laurel Lance first appeared in Justice League of America #75 from 1969, as part of the Silver Age, and still counts as a Silver Age character, even with the divided character aspect.