Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Superman projects you'd like to see...

With the rumors of a new Superman game possibly in the works, and the 80th anniversary coming up, what other Superman projects would you like to see? I'd love to see another Superman cartoon. Something in the style of a Young Justice. Preferably on a REAL network and not some streaming service. I'd also like to see, although I don't see it happening, a Supergirl spin-off Superman series. Preferably one where he isn't talking about how much cooler his cousin is than him. Although I've got origin burnout at this point, I'd also kind of like them to get his Rebirth origin out of the way so we're not wondering what "counts" and what doesn't. Let's move forward.
    Assassinate Putin!

I think Superman's long, long overdue for an animated TV show again. Closest we've had since the '90s is Legion of Super-Heroes, which I loved and which ended too soon, but a show focusing on the "Dynamic, Two-Fisted, Man of Tomorrow" would be incredibly welcome.

16d6b332ad76f930acb1a0a2df35b7b9--superman-stuff-batman-vs-superman.jpg

I've said before that I really like the animated Justice League War-and-onwards Superman (sans dating Diana and a forgettable Clark), whereas the Luthor who appears in Justice League vs. Teen Titans is a joke. By contrast, I think the Young Justice Luthor is possibly the best version of the character, whereas the YJ Supes is quite bad.

Can we get a show where a JLW-esque Supes faces off with a YJ-esque Luthor?

Maybe get some DCEU-esque Lois in there too? Maybe a Jimmy inspired by Justice League Action? Maybe some John Henry Irons?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

I'd settle for an upbeat Superman who is inspiring- in some medium besides comics.

No teen-aged angst over wanting to be "normal" or learning how to be a hero.
    No "does the world need Superman" or focus on Clark pining for Lois.
    No worrying what he "means to humanity" and a fearful public
    No battles with his fellow heroes ... especially not ones where the other hero dominates.

A simple "I'm here to help" from a guy who "can see the difference between right and wrong clearly".

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I would love for Superman Unbound animated sequel, since the cartoon ended with a strong cliffhanger and was the last good Superman animated movie. We had Clark proposing to Lois, so we would finally be able to see their marriage in animation + Brainiac will always be one of the best Superman villains and the ending hinted at his return, so it would have been interesting if he returned as a villain again or as a reformed person who will help Superman fight a new threat.

Superman TV series as a spin-off from Supergirl that covers his story before Kara arrived.

The Flash TV show opening a portal to Smallville universe after Season 11 events and having Tom Welling and Erica Durance as guest stars for such an episode.

Actually held a panel at Comic-Con or somewhere else with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Dean Cane, Terry Hatcher, etc. to sit and talk about Superman and discussing their different takes on their characters. That would have been magical. And then a group photo of all of them together.

Lets bring on some Superman anime or manga.

Man of Steel 2 announcement with Henry Cavill and Amy Adams FOR SURE representing their characters again. Directed by Wachowski sisters. I want Matrix kind of quality film for Superman. Especially with Brainiac as a villain, he has that Agent Smith in him type of thing.

Lois Lane comic book series announcement, but not an Elseworld. I want DC Rebirth Lois Lane comics series.

I say bring Superman and his supporting cast of characters some Justice in all of the media.

With it being his 80th, I think either a live-action movie or animated movie/series based on the Golden Age (kinda like how one of the Batman shows took the feel of the 50s era Batman). And call it Action Comics.

But I agree with Jon - the focus needs to be on a guy who's doing the right thing *because* it's the right thing to do, who simply can't watch people hurting without doing something.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I think I've pitched it enough times here that people have been around a while are tired are hearing of it, but my pitch is a Superman comic, or animated show, set in a world which is a bit divergent from the real world. One that takes inspiration from both the ambiguous visual styles of Batman TAS, but also takes from the technologically advanced, yet 1950s-aesthetic of the Fallout verse. This allows putting Superman in both a technological advanced society of which there would be a wealth of toys to play with, but at the same time have a rustic appeal of Superman's earlier days in print. And like that verse, the point of divergence happens around WWII (in my head the cause of said divergence centers around the characters of Wonder Woman and Themyscira, and its their tech that they gifted to the Allies after the war that leads to a technological boom that differs from the real world's). In that vein the history from that point to the present day is very much a story and a character in its own right just like Superman, and it all weaves together. It starts in year one, outside of flashbacks of the origin, and stays there outside of moving forward at its own volition. No 5 year time jumps or any of that junk. We start with a new Superman and we follow that new and young Superman as he grows. Also, in this world, print media would be categorically dead, and allow for a completely new spin on the Planet, and Clark, Lois, Perry, and Jimmy's jobs, based solely on digital forms of media.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think I've pitched it enough times here that people have been around a while are tired are hearing of it, but my pitch is a Superman comic, or animated show, set in a world which is a bit divergent from the real world. One that takes inspiration from both the ambiguous visual styles of Batman TAS, but also takes from the technologically advanced, yet 1950s-aesthetic of the Fallout verse. This allows putting Superman in both a technological advanced society of which there would be a wealth of toys to play with, but at the same time have a rustic appeal of Superman's earlier days in print. And like that verse, the point of divergence happens around WWII (in my head the cause of said divergence centers around the characters of Wonder Woman and Themyscira, and its their tech after the war that leads to a technological boom that differs from the real world's). In that vein the history from that point to the present day is very much a story and a character in its own right just like Superman, and it all weaves together. It starts in year one, outside of flashbacks of the origin, and stays there outside of moving forward at its own volition. No 5 year time jumps or any of that junk. We start with a new Superman and we follow that new and young Superman as he grows. Also, in this world, print media would be categorically dead, and allow for a completely new spin on the Planet, and Clark, Lois, Perry, and Jimmy's jobs, based solely on digital forms of media.
    I think that would work really well - it has some ties to cold-war aesthetic that might come back into popularity given news lately, and combines that with a fanciful version of modern technology.

This is the first I've heard this, but I love the idea.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Thanks! I'm a relatively newcomer to the Fallout games, but ever since I bought Fallout 4, I made a connection instantly with a setting for Superman and I've been in love with the idea ever since (pre-war inspiration, not the post-apocalyptic time the games actually take place in).

I'd give a taste of what the world was like by presenting short takes of three eras; first as an old WWII news reel, detailing a few of the obvious changes in history that will affect things later, seen from the POV of a solider named Kent, Jonathan's grandfather. Then move on a POV of Jonathan's father Samuel, giving a small taste of the 60-70s; then Jonathan and Martha's POV of the 80s-90s, up until they find Clark.

Also had a new spin on the costume and also a drastically different take on a classic character that I've been having fun putting together.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Would love to see a Garth Ennis written Superman series. Garth has a lot of contempt for superheroes but does hold a soft spot for Supes. Steve Dillon (RIP) would have been good, with an occasional fill-in by John McCrea but alas... The series could show what makes someone a hero (sticking up what's right and honest, sticking up to bullies etc.) as opposed to any idiot throwing on a costume and some high-tech devices.

Always love reading Sacred's "Super Fallout" pitch. I'm more of an Elder Scrolls man myself, but I do enjoy a bit of Fallout when Overwatch and DCUO are updating.

Myself, I'd kill to see an HBO or FX series (you know, smart high brow stuff) doing a period piece set in the early 40's and taking inspiration from the Golden Age, the Fleshier cartoons, and the New52 origin, as well as some of that fun art deco sci-fi that came to a head in the 50's. Oh, and they can take a que from Mad Men and let those people smoke! I had to quit a few years ago and wouldnt mind living vicariously through the people of Metropolis when I get a nicotine craving out of the blue.

I'd also settle for that as a comic series, just in case you're reading DC.

But also, how about this? A consistent and talented creative roster willing and able to stay long term on the main titles and do some proper world building, the likes of which we've been sorely missing since the triangle era? Give me good Superman comics each month and I'll actually be quite satisfied. So far Rebirth has been pretty solid. Work with that and improve on it for a change, huh?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think I've pitched it enough times here that people have been around a while are tired are hearing of it, but my pitch is a Superman comic, or animated show, set in a world which is a bit divergent from the real world. One that takes inspiration from both the ambiguous visual styles of Batman TAS, but also takes from the technologically advanced, yet 1950s-aesthetic of the Fallout verse. This allows putting Superman in both a technological advanced society of which there would be a wealth of toys to play with, but at the same time have a rustic appeal of Superman's earlier days in print. And like that verse, the point of divergence happens around WWII (in my head the cause of said divergence centers around the characters of Wonder Woman and Themyscira, and its their tech that they gifted to the Allies after the war that leads to a technological boom that differs from the real world's). In that vein the history from that point to the present day is very much a story and a character in its own right just like Superman, and it all weaves together. It starts in year one, outside of flashbacks of the origin, and stays there outside of moving forward at its own volition. No 5 year time jumps or any of that junk. We start with a new Superman and we follow that new and young Superman as he grows. Also, in this world, print media would be categorically dead, and allow for a completely new spin on the Planet, and Clark, Lois, Perry, and Jimmy's jobs, based solely on digital forms of media.
    Well, I'm sold. It's interesting to imagine a Fallout-esque world without the, you know, fallout, but keeping all the crazy tech and some of the aesthetic. I think it's rad. I especially like the idea that it'd derive from the Amazons, meaning that probably we'd have flying vehicles, invisible building materials and especially the Purple Ray! And maybe more yonic architecture but let's not get into that. It'd even justify decreasing American prejudice against women and ethnic and sexual minorities waaay earlier than in our timeline!

When would Superman exist on this timeline? When would Batman and Robin? Is Diana still alive? Is Steve?

I'd like to see an animated Superman series on Netflix, I think. I picked Netflix because a full-length series (26+ episodes) is just inviting too many bland stories. Even the best Superman writers have a hard time writing 30 or so good issues. I'd also keep it semi-continuous. There could be two or three little arcs, but a few one-off stories in between. I'd just like to see something with various levels of stakes, be it an omega-level threat or something silly, or a slice-of-life piece. You could even have flashback stories put in there. And just forget live-action. We're not at the level yet where you can animate seamlessly with live action and get the effects you want, not even in big budget films, and let alone TV budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Well, I'm sold. It's interesting to imagine a Fallout-esque world without the, you know, fallout, but keeping all the crazy tech and some of the aesthetic. I think it's rad. I especially like the idea that it'd derive from the Amazons, meaning that probably we'd have flying vehicles, invisible building materials and especially the Purple Ray! And maybe more yonic architecture but let's not get into that. It'd even justify decreasing American prejudice against women and ethnic and sexual minorities waaay earlier than in our timeline!

When would Superman exist on this timeline? When would Batman and Robin? Is Diana still alive? Is Steve?
    Originally I had wanted to work in the divergence in regards to tech and history be of a Kryptonian influence. But, there were a few hiccups there. One, I like the WWII divergence idea. Two, I wanted Superman a present day hero. Three, while I don't mind other Kryptonians existing, its a must for me that Superman is the first on Earth, ever. So there's no way to really reconcile all that. But Diana and the Amazons though, that falls right into place, works even better, imo. Especially since I've always been a big fan of the hi-tech Amazon idea.

So yeah, Superman exists in the present day which is our present day. So he was born maybe early 90s. Diana is still alive but had retired since the war. Like the movie, Steve was her lover during the war but he died. That's not why she retires or anything, she just leaves man to their own devices when the war ends and relative peace is restored. Superman's arrival as the first extra-terrestrial being known to the public and his superheroics brings her back out into Man's World. He's the young gun and she's the older, wiser hero. And yes there's a spark there. Everyone knows by now I'm a fan of it. When things start, no other heroes exist yet except for those two. The superhero age of this world would begin there and branch out from them. So Batman, Robin, the League, all that wouldn't be a thing right away, but like most continuities Superman's arrival is a symbolic opening of the gates.

Lois and Clark would start out with a similar classic dynamic, except for the fact that, while she is into Superman but doesn't think much of Clark romantically, they still become fast friends as she and Jimmy are the only ones who seem to want to help Mr. Kent fit in and succeed. Becoming friends though is what leads Lois to suspect early on that Clark is Superman, only this time she lets Jimmy in on her suspicions as well. And things go from the three of them being a kinda Scooby Gang, to Lois and Jimmy eventually skulking trying to get the dirt on Clark himself. Before they can find it, Clark comes to the realization he needs to let some people he can trust in, and he willingly tells Lois and Jimmy who he is. From that point on, they actively aid in helping with the secret, by ways of making excuses for Clark's absence, saying he's with them when he's really not, etc. But moving to each phase of this dynamic would take time, of course.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-08-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Originally I had wanted to work in the divergence in regards to tech and history be of a Kryptonian influence. But, there were a few hiccups there. One, I like the WWII divergence idea. Two, I wanted Superman a present day hero. Three, while I don't mind other Kryptonians existing, its a must for me that Superman is the first on Earth, ever. So there's no way to really reconcile all that. But Diana and the Amazons though, that falls right into place, works even better, imo. Especially since I've always been a big fan of the hi-tech Amazon idea.

So yeah, Superman exists in the present day which is our present day. So he was born maybe early 90s. Diana is still alive but had retired since the war. Like the movie, Steve was her lover during the war but he died. That's not why she retires or anything, she just leaves man to their own devices when the war ends and relative peace is restored. Superman's arrival as the first extra-terrestrial being known to the public and his superheroics brings her back out into Man's World. He's the young gun and she's the older, wiser hero. And yes there's a spark there. Everyone knows by now I'm a fan of it. When things start, no other heroes exist yet except for those two. The superhero age of this world would begin there and branch out from them. So Batman, Robin, the League, all that wouldn't be a thing right away, but like most continuities Superman's arrival is a symbolic opening of the gates.
    I don't see why Kal couldn't bring out Kryptonian tech after he arrives, bringing two sets of super-tech with him, one set more well-adapted to the world, one more spacey. For example, Krypto-Tech would contain faster than light travel, maybe quick-and-dirty terraforming, where Themysciran tech doesn't have anything like that- but Krypton didn't have anything like the Purple Ray, instantly healing disease and injury.

My bigger concern would be Diana's retirement- I just don't know if I see her doing that. What's she do in the intervening hundred years? Sit back and manage the tech-dispersal?

... actually, that probably would be a full-time job.

I'm also a big fan of young Superman, but not necessarily of young Batman. Not really sure how to work that out. DKR has enough imitators already!

In my head she just goes back to Paradise Island for a time. They didn't get involved in WWI, and when WWII came along, this time with the threat of nuclear weaponry, they felt enough was enough and sent Diana. When the job was done and the war was won, Diana goes, not because she's running away or doesn't want to do to good, but only because she doesn't want to further dictate the course of mankind. The Amazons want them to chart their course without the veil of nuclear war over them anymore (bearing in mind this is a time when there are no other metahuman or alien threats yet, that all comes later, again around the time of Superman's arrival, and dicates her staying on a more permanent basis).

As far as Batman, in the hypothetical situation that DC hired me to oversee this stuff (ha!), what I'd do is hand Batman off to someone who is more well-versed and into the character than me, for starters. Again, in the situation that I were Lord and Master over everything I'd have only one edict for Batman: Robin is Dick Grayson, and he's around 10-13. But as I truly feel would be prudent in doing an Ultimate-like line for real, I think you start off small and branch out over time. Me being me of course I start out with my two favorite characters in my dream world.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-08-2017 at 11:04 AM.