Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default Which version of Superman II do you prefer?

Superman II the Theatrical release

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

There is no version of it that isn't fundamentally broken as a Superman story, but I guess the Donner Cut.
    Buh-bye

^ That's cold man. Lol I get you though.

I've been meaning to attempt compiling the 2 films in to one, if it hasn't been done already. The Brando Jor-El things work great in the Donner cut, but rewatching the theatrical version it's so jarring to see Lara in his place. Not to mention Superman being completely unaware of Zod and his followers wrecking Earth.

Donner cut. its sad that we'll never really get the film proper from top to bottom, but its the best compliment to the first film.

BANNED

Arctic police !!

Poor Zod & his cronies being send to a normal prison. Can just imagine Zod as a prison kingpin with Non as his bodyguard and ruling whichever prison he ends up in.

"kneel before Zod".

Fun fact: Bryan Singer initially wanted Jude Law to play Zod for Superman Returns. When Law turned him down, Singer went with Spacey as Luthor and another dumb real estate plan. With Returns intending to be a sequel to Superman II, Law Zod vs Routh Superman could've been fanatastic.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'll go with the original, theatrical cut.

I appreciate THE DONNER CUT as a "What if?" version. But I can't get passed the test footage in place of actual filmed scenes, or the fact that it's Donner's version of Superman II had he also cut the first Superman film differently.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I'll go with the original, theatrical cut.

I appreciate THE DONNER CUT as a "What if?" version. But I can't get passed the test footage in place of actual filmed scenes, or the fact that it's Donner's version of Superman II had he also cut the first Superman film differently.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. The Donner cut is interesting and all, but it's not even really what he would have done.

I would have preferred Donner's vision had he been able to complete it.

BANNED

Donner's cut.
    I can't believe that the production studio rejected it.

If the Donner Cut had actually has real taping in certain scenes (the honeymoon suite scenes) I think that I would have been more apt to prefer it over the Theatrical version. As it is, I half-wished they'd found a way to make that scene between Clark and (either) of his parents be with BOTH of his parents. It would have added some interesting contrast between the three of them. I could very easily imagine that scene working that way (Jor-El belligerently demanding while Lara pleading with Kal-el not to do this).

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Superman II the Theatrical release. Not a big fan of the Donner version.

As anyone here seen the Frank Reynold's cut of the movie? He cut and paste the best parts of each film together. I feel it works good given the nature of the two movies. I'll post the link, if anyone wants to give it a watch.
    http://vimeo.com/62976330

I believe Donner's version would've been better. I didn't care, though, for Donner's dismissiveness of Lester's work on the commentary tracks. I guess Donner felt Lester was kind of a scab, but it was still off-putting.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I believe Donner's version would've been better. I didn't care, though, for Donner's dismissiveness of Lester's work on the commentary tracks. I guess Donner felt Lester was kind of a scab, but it was still off-putting.
    Yeah it was obvious, even after all those years, just how bitter Donner still was.

I actually prefer the Theatrical Cut. I don't like the test footage scene and feel that the whole 'turning back time to restore everything to normal' ending was too similar to the first film.