Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Default More interested in older DC stories than newer DC stories

So, apparently Didio is surprised that folks seem more interested in the "older stuff" than the "newer stuff". I do hope he does a little course adjustment as a result of the realization. I think the tone of the old stories is a much bigger factor than nostalgia. As I often write, we get an awful lot of cynical stories that deconstruct the idea of a super hero. Worst of all, they turn far too many heroes into anti-heroes and villains into anti-heroes or anti-villains. Those kind of stories and character turns are great when used sparingly, but a little goes a long way. Using cooking as an analogy, certain spices are wonderful when used with restraint, but terrible when overused (Ginger, salt, cumin, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    So, apparently Didio is surprised that folks seem more interested in the "older stuff" than the "newer stuff". I do hope he does a little course adjustment as a result of the realization. I think the tone of the old stories is a much bigger factor than nostalgia. As I often write, we get an awful lot of cynical stories that deconstruct the idea of a super hero. Worst of all, they turn far too many heroes into anti-heroes and villains into anti-heroes or anti-villains. Those kind of stories and character turns are great when used sparingly, but a little goes a long way. Using cooking as an analogy, certain spices are wonderful when used with restraint, but terrible when overused (Ginger, salt, cumin, etc).
    Agreed. There's a reason I'm enjoying the Gold and Silver Age collections DC and Marvel are publishing right now a lot more than any modern material, and I think you've summed it up very well.

I agree with that. I like heroes mostly good and villains mostly bad. And, like you said, just a few anti-heroes. Very few. It's tedious when they make all the heroes anti-heroes, since I only like anti-heroes in small doses in supporting roles and I feel like they are ruining my heroes by giving them many plainly immoral actions. Also, deaths and bleakness were more limited. Deaths happened, and there were bleak stories (though less in silver age), but far fewer, and they had more impact that way. I'll also make my customary plug for shorter stories. Ones than last 4 to 6 issues, even stand-alone stories, too (I do usually mind multiple stories per issue too short). An occasional event with 12 issues can work. But now a lot seem very padded and to drag a little. But it's the bleakness and cynicism that get to me. Constant misery and angst just is not enjoyable.

So, apparently Didio is surprised that folks seem more interested in the "older stuff" than the "newer stuff".
    I guess that's why Geoff Johns' plan to use Rebirth as away to return "HOPE" to DC comics got stomped all over the floor once Johns was less involved in the overall direction of the comic books.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

For 25 years I've only wanted one thing from DC. And New 52 gave it to me. And then they took it away. I'm done rewarding bad behavior. I'm only buying pre-Crisis and out of continuity stuff from now on. The fanbase shouldn't be this divided to begin with. No wonder everyone is buying older stuff. At least with past stories everybody can get what they want. I don't think there is any way to make everyone happy at this point. Wally fans want him to be the official Flash again. Barry fans want HIM to be the official Flash. And if you don't think the fans from the TV show didn't add to the latter category, think again. I have no idea what DC has planned for the future or if there is another Crisis in the works but at this point I'm not sure I care anymore. They've broken my suspension of disbelief rule too many times. I shouldn't be giving DC any more of my money as is but I still love these characters enough to buy something. Which DC should be damn grateful for. I get that DC can't make everyone happy. But right now it looks like they aren't making anyone happy. That can't be a coincidence.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Yeah, I find that I'm still interested in hunting down, buying, and reading back issues (mainly from the 80s and 90s), but I have little interest in buying any of the current stuff. This is ironic, but actually very true, but it's about 2004 or so, when Dan DiDio came into power at DC and when Geoff Johns was reaching his peak that I stop having interest in the products. So, from the period of about 2004-2019 I don't have much interest in collecting DC products. I don't think that's coincidental. That's just my own personal preference, though.

I hate the general tone of everything, and I hate all the events, and Dan DiDio pandering to himself with his favorite versions of characters is a serious turn off.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 07-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I've been reading 80s and 90s stories (sometimes 70s and early 2000s) for the past couple years and its been more enjoyable than the newer stuff.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It should be considered that those old reprints (which I love, mind) are also selling for $1 US. It's not as if they're competing at the same profit margin. That said, the big appeal to the DC Universe app for me was back issues and Doom Patrol/Stargirl, so we'll see how this pans out. Hopefully they move the dial away from grimdark and longform content since DC is all about kneejerk reactions. Maybe they'll make one I care for.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    For 25 years I've only wanted one thing from DC. And New 52 gave it to me. And then they took it away. I'm done rewarding bad behavior. I'm only buying pre-Crisis and out of continuity stuff from now on. The fanbase shouldn't be this divided to begin with. No wonder everyone is buying older stuff. At least with past stories everybody can get what they want. I don't think there is any way to make everyone happy at this point. Wally fans want him to be the official Flash again. Barry fans want HIM to be the official Flash. And if you don't think the fans from the TV show didn't add to the latter category, think again. I have no idea what DC has planned for the future or if there is another Crisis in the works but at this point I'm not sure I care anymore. They've broken my suspension of disbelief rule too many times. I shouldn't be giving DC any more of my money as is but I still love these characters enough to buy something. Which DC should be damn grateful for. I get that DC can't make everyone happy. But right now it looks like they aren't making anyone happy. That can't be a coincidence.

I feel your pain, superduperman.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Extraordinary Member

Oh my god, who isn't more interested in the older stuff than the stuff they've published since 2011? The 80s and 90s at DC were the best. The early-mid 00s also had a lot to love: Geoff Johns's Green Lantern, Brad Meltzer's JLA, Joe Kelly's JLA, Geoff Johns's Flash, Johns/Goyer JSA, Grant Morrison's Batman, etc. The New 52 ruined everything.

Rebirth was a glimmer of hope after 5 long years, but it has yet to yield any real change.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-18-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So, apparently Didio is surprised that folks seem more interested in the "older stuff" than the "newer stuff". I do hope he does a little course adjustment as a result of the realization. I think the tone of the old stories is a much bigger factor than nostalgia. As I often write, we get an awful lot of cynical stories that deconstruct the idea of a superhero. Worst of all, they turn far too many heroes into anti-heroes and villains into anti-heroes or anti-villains. Those kind of stories and character turns are great when used sparingly, but a little goes a long way. Using cooking as an analogy, certain spices are wonderful when used with restraint, but terrible when overused (Ginger, salt, cumin, etc).
    Where? Is there a link? I kinda want to see his reaction. ^^

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Well, if all your favorite characters are in a crappy state, you'll tend to go look at stuff where they aren't.

It's really not rocket science.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Yes, what everyone else said. I try to stay current when I’m actually trying to keep up, but I often find myself reading the old stuff. I am actually very tired of heroes fighting heroes and the overall state of things right now. It’s kinda why I took a break in the first place.

I actually stopped reading comics in the early 00s, not because of anything specific that I disliked about the books, but because I'd kinda moved on to other hobbies, and didn't have the time and money for everything. A couple of months ago, I got the urge to start reading comics again. Curious what was up with my favorite characters, I went online to see what was going on with DC. And all the summaries of the infinite Crises and reboots, characters dying, coming back, disappearing, etc just really turned me off.

Despite starting to read comics again more than two months ago, I still haven't bought any comics in over 15 years. I'm just rereading my old collection. And making a list of back issues I want to pick up to fill in my collection. Mostly, that means post-Crisis through early 00s, though I do own some pre-Crisis stuff from the 70s and 80s. Also, some Vertigo, which may eventually take me into more recent comics than I'd buy from mainstream DC. And some stuff from other publishers. But I really have no interest in seeing all the ways DC has wrecked my favorite characters in the last decade or more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Yeah, I find that I'm still interested in hunting down, buying, and reading back issues (mainly from the 80s and 90s), but I have little interest in buying any of the current stuff. This is ironic, but actually very true, but it's about 2004 or so, when Dan DiDio came into power at DC and when Geoff Johns was reaching his peak that I stop having interest in the products. So, from the period of about 2004-2019 I don't have much interest in collecting DC products. I don't think that's coincidental. That's just my own personal preference, though.

I hate the general tone of everything, and I hate all the events, and Dan DiDio pandering to himself with his favorite versions of characters is a serious turn off.
    Agree. 2004 was the year that I decided to quit buying comic books. I was frustrated with DC and was bored out of my mind.

I had two exceptions I could not resist:
    1. Justice by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger. It was a dream come true. Satellite Era Justice League vs The Legion of Doom. So glad I bought that series.
    2. Infinite Crisis, which I came to hate. They took four heroes who had sacrificed so much during the original Crisis and had been given an eternity of peace - and they completely destroyed all four of their lives. That was enough for me.

I enjoy reading this site but I haven't read about any DC book or storyline that even seems a bit interesting to me in a long, long time.