Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And that, in a nutshell, is the dictionary definition of self selection bias in polling
    Yep. And it makes him sound like a jerk to anyone who does like them. Not that he minds that part.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Found it! It's short so I'll just post the whole thing

During Thursday afternoon's Meet the DC Publishers panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego, DC co-publisher Dan DiDio seemed to express frustration over the publisher's "Facsimile" editions of classic comics - which are reprints of old issues presented as originally published, original advertisements included.

During the panel DiDio asked the audience how many of them read their Facsimile Editions. When no one answered the question with applause, DiDio responded “Good, that’s the one I was hoping we wouldn’t hear applause for.”

“We do these Facsimile Editions where we reprint older issues of comics including all the old ads and stuff…and in some cases these are selling more than the new comics with these characters. People are more interested in buying the stories from 30 or 40 years ago than the contemporary stories, and that’s a failure on us," he explained.

“We should be focused on moving things forward, always pushing the boundaries and finding new stories to tell. That’s how we’ll survive and grow this industry,” DiDio continued.

It was not immediately clear if DiDio's frustration was more focused on the facsimiles being published, or their own ability to create new comics that outsell them.

Writer Joe Hill, in attendance in support of his Hill House family of DC titles, had a different perspective entirely.

“I want to defend the Facsimile Editions for a minute," Hill responded. "The reason they sell so well is, if you’re an older reader who has kids who are going crazy for comics, you’re gonna buy the Facsimile Edition because those are the stories you knew and loved as a kid. So for people who didn’t know them, they’re not 'new', but they are new.”

https://www.newsarama.com/46103-dc-c...-editions.html
    And that, in a nutshell, is the dictionary definition of self selection bias in polling. From his response, I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks this was a good way to "poll the audience" to see if they should keep doing the reprints. He didn't get an enthusiastic response, so he thinks that audiences aren't interested in those reprints. But the only people attending that panel are people who are interested in the new stuff, not old stuff. Fans who prefer the older stuff wouldn't bother to show up to such an event.
    Yup. A while back, lacking sufficient data about why some regard Didio as an issue, I posted a thread to ask about it. I got a lot of interesting answers, but nothing that gave me an opinion of my own. Until Restingvoice's post above.

This speaks of a publisher that is not interested in serving an audience, but intent on imposing a preference on an audience, and resentful when the audience won't enthusiastically go along. Looking at the data must make him furious, so I wouldn't be surprised if he attempted to kill the Facsimiles to make the unhappy numbers go away.

It's interesting - not that everyone seems hate Didio (I can well understand why) - but the different sides. You have allegations he's in love with the silver age because of Barry or Barbara as Batgirl, but we can see here he doesn't seem to value those as stories today. And definitely pushes a dark flavor that is not silver age at all. I don't see the silver age fondness aspect much myself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It's interesting - not that everyone seems hate Didio (I can well understand why) - but the different sides. You have allegations he's in love with the silver age because of Barry or Barbara as Batgirl, but we can see here he doesn't seem to value those as stories today. And definitely pushes a dark flavor that is not silver age at all. I don't see the silver age fondness aspect much myself.
    I have a feeling the Silver/Bronze Age fondness comes from Johns. A complaint I've always had about Johns is that he mainly just seems interested in rewriting his favorite stories from when he was a kid, only adding a good dose of decapitations and child murderers to his stories for them to seem more "adult."
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I read mostly non stop from 1976 - 2001. I was reading the “Our Worlds at War” story and was just bored. I’d been bored but that seemed to particularly drain me. The the Dark Knight sequel came out and I was done. I remember my first week not going to the shop. Weird. I’ve picked up a few issues here and there but have never been interested again.

I do but lots of books from the 60’s - 80’s.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Assuming this is indeed what Didio is saying, it makes me wonder what the activity on the DCUniverse app looks like. Might modern fans who only follow a small number of current titles be exploring a lot of the old stuff since it costs them nothing extra?
    That accurately describes my habits on that app. I read very little post-Flashpoint and Batman. I do read a lot of LSH, Titans, JSA, All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc (the real one), JLA/I/E, Hourman, Stars & Stripe, Young Justice, etc. A lot of it is not light, but it isn't the overwhelmingly grim/dark stuff either. Like many readers, I prefer comics that are light on politics and heavy on fun & hope. If I wanted depressing, cynical reading with tons of politics, I can read the news.

It has to be said, the running gag of Snapper Carr's t-shirts in Hourman and YJ is a ton of fun. I usually get the shirt immediately, but occasionally it takes a while. The Hawaiian style disco Nightwing shirt in one issue was fun as well.

Retired

Geoff Johns was born in 1973, so he would have totally missed the 1960s. And even by the time he was old enough to be reading comics (say seven years old), the 1970s was completely over.

I attribute my affection for the older stories to the fact that these were in regular comics appearing on the spinner racks (in the 1960s and 1970s)--so you were always being exposed to new stories and old stories at the same time, in the same format. By the 1980s, short of the digest comics, readers would have had to search out the reprint books or purposely hunted for back issues.

Johns may have liked the old comics and searched for them--but I get the feeling that, the whole time he was reading them, he was thinking "I could do better." He doesn't replicate the stories as they were--he severely edits what the original talents created and imposes his own ideas on the stories. Nor does he do a lot of research--if his end is to recapture elements of the original stories--because a lot of the old concepts and continuity are completely missing from his version.

I'd say that as Geoff Johns is no dummy, he recognizes some of the brilliant ideas in the old comics and exploits those. But if he's trying to be Gardner Fox or Edmond Hamilton, he's doing a terrible job of it.

Incredible Member

I know as a reader I'm looking more for older material than newer all the time from all companies. Mainly because the current stuff isn't that good. In DC's specific case it was getting really good but the things I liked, like Jon and the return of Wally have all been derailed. So I'd rather spend my time and money tracking down old stuff and seeing where it all came from and reading things I missed out on and if the guy in charge of the publishing side can't see how that could possibly be a good thing they really need to look at new people.

BANNED

To be kinda' fair, it isn't just a DC thing with me. I'm also not interested in current Marvel comics.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 07-19-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Geoff Johns gave them an opening to move towards a less GrimDark direction when he did DC Universe: Rebirth, but DC decided to generally continue deeper into the dark, dank sewers instead.
    I don't expect long-term changes from Didio's regime, but Rebirth gave us a reprieve and I can only hope another follows.

At the very least, it'll be nice to see new fans on here and Reddit appreciating the classics.

BANNED

While the main factor for higher sales is likely price, I do find myself rather uninterested in DC's offerings these days, at least in their main imprint. Almost all the DC pulls I really enjoy are from Young Animal, Wonder Comics, Sandman Universe etc. I suggest those who dislike the dark tone look more towards those imprints instead

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Well, the one thing I REALLY hate about comics is the missing letter columns.
    They should NEVER have been dropped from monthly comics. The sense of community and connectivity was lost.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Well when your modern publishing ideas only cater to a certain crowd and you don’t seem to learn from your past failures, you can’t be surprised. How Didio manages to stay in charge is a mystery to me.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Well when your modern publishing ideas only cater to a certain crowd and you don’t seem to learn from your past failures, you can’t be surprised. How Didio manages to stay in charge is a mystery to me.
    Much a I dislike it, my understanding is the big, violent, grim character-death event stories sell.

Reboots and renumbering seems to sell, too. I know sells taper off afterwards, but don't know if they are any lower than before the reboot. If not, nothing's lost, and something's gained for company.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Well, the one thing I REALLY hate about comics is the missing letter columns.
    They should NEVER have been dropped from monthly comics. The sense of community and connectivity was lost.
    100% this. I'm glad image still has some books with letters pages