Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Wow! So anyone who was okay with MoS isn't imaginative? Imagination is solely the domain of the people who think Superman should always just "lolnope" every moral quandary he ever encounters?

Did it ever occur to you that it takes a good bit of imagination to come up with a believable scenario in which a guy like Superman has no other option other than to take a life?
    Well it took no imagination to come up with the situation in MOS. All they said was "eh Zod just somehow didn't get sucked in.....sucks for you Superman". It would take far more imagination to get him out of that situation while keeping him from killing.

Him killing cuz he's young isn't on it's own a necessarily a bad thing (not needed at all but not too bad a thing) but the reasoning in and out of the movie sucked ass.

BANNED

I liked Morrison idea, at least he come with some imagination that a character like Superman needs.

I still not convinced that superman wouldn't find another solution that wasn't breaking the neck. if at least it had some impact in the movie I could at least say it was well served

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Big fan of Morrison's Superman. Not, however, a fan of this idea. This has Zod going out like a punk. At least in death, he went out the way he lived, cutthroat and defiant to the end.
    But I don't get it you'd rather Superman win like a punk. Be the guy shown up in his own movie. Be the guy who didn't really make most of his own choices in the movie including killing? I always thought the hero should get the better of the bad guy at the end of a superhero movie (no sarcasm in all of this btw)

I wouldn't have minded watching Zod reduced to the mad dog he became as he falls out of consciousness on Pluto. Superman hardly standing himself, freeing over, as he out last the madman like a prize fighter in a boxing match. Then a race back to Earth with all he's got left. Zod's still defiant till the end but he's lost what gave him his fire and was just running on E at that point. To me it would not have only been visually amazing to see with the space and the silent dramatic fight (just think of the contrast between that and how the fight started on Earth) but a visual representation of what was going in with Zod
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don't get what Morrison meant with that ending. So, Superman would take the fight to space... Zod's powers would fail and he'd die due to that, rather than being directly killed by Superman, or did he mean that Zod would be just knocked down unconscious or something? If the later, I don't see how it'd resolve anything, since Zod would eventually wake up, but, if it's the first one, I guess it could work, and would be a "cleaner" way to kill him, but he'd still be basically killing him.

I usually like Morrison, but all of this sounds kinda stupid...Really? Superman beating Zod in hand to hand combat? If he could have done it, he would have. But Zod should have been able to kick his ass. Going to Pluto, or anything without Superman risking himself as well sounds stupid. Only way I could see it ending without Superman killing Zod is that The GL Corps would have come to apprehended Zod.

BANNED

i don't like copout endings so i'll pass morrison. that and like prime said, this makes no effing sense

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison's idea sounds really stupid in the context of this movie. It would be great for something like All-Star or his Action Comics run, but this is Superman on his first day on the job in a more grounded setting. A lot of people keep saying that Superman should have grabbed Zod and brought him to the moon or something, but people seem to conveniently forget that Zod is a way more experienced fighter. Don't you think he could easily break out of Clark's grip and just go back to killing civilians? Or that Clark is even powerful enough to get to Mars or Pluto?

And once Zod was defeated, then what? The Phantom Zone is the only thing capable of containing him, and that option had already been used up. Bring him back to Earth and he'd be back to his old tricks as soon as he recovered, and the bodies would pile up pretty damn quick. I guess Clark can leave him on Pluto, but that's the same as killing him anyway, so what's the difference here?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    I don't get what Morrison meant with that ending. So, Superman would take the fight to space... Zod's powers would fail and he'd die due to that, rather than being directly killed by Superman, or did he mean that Zod would be just knocked down unconscious or something? If the later, I don't see how it'd resolve anything, since Zod would eventually wake up, but, if it's the first one, I guess it could work, and would be a "cleaner" way to kill him, but he'd still be basically killing him.
    Then a cold dramatic Gravity-like flight back to earth holding a knocked out Zod and they just make it back in time. Now the tricky part would be where to put him till they can make accommodations. Well how about the other side of the world where the world engine was operating? It could very well be written that there was still lingering atmosphere/gravity spikes that Superman could drop him in. Then using the wreckage from the engine on that side of the world (didn't get sucked away) they could have worked towards building a atmospheric cell. Superman could bend and mend the wreckage and do it quite fast to boot.

This could have worked if they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I usually like Morrison, but all of this sounds kinda stupid...Really? Superman beating Zod in hand to hand combat? If he could have done it, he would have. But Zod should have been able to kick his ass. Going to Pluto, or anything without Superman risking himself as well sounds stupid. Only way I could see it ending without Superman killing Zod is that The GL Corps would have come to apprehended Zod.
    Superman wouldn't have really beaten him in hand to hand combat he would have just out lasted him. The whole time he could have very well stood back and blocked as Zod goes crazy on him. Then slowly but surely as the two frost over from space Zod slows more and more and more still he's got nothing left and Superman knocks him out. Then it's a big dramatic flight back to Earth with what Superman's got left and he's gotta dig deep. Superman would have beaten him with imagination and grit.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Morrison's idea sounds really stupid in the context of this movie. It would be great for something like All-Star or his Action Comics run, but this is Superman on his first day on the job in a more grounded setting. A lot of people keep saying that Superman should have grabbed Zod and brought him to the moon or something, but people seem to conveniently forget that Zod is a way more experienced fighter. Don't you think he could easily break out of Clark's grip and just go back to killing civilians? Or that Clark is even powerful enough to get to Mars or Pluto?
    Well according to the actual movie Superman is strong enough to get Zod in a hold and Zod not be able to do a damn thing about it but resort to trying to kill people. So I don't see why he couldn't have taken that same hold and flew him somewhere. He was also never actively trying to kill people during that fight. He was far more interested in beating the crap out of Superman.

Also doesn't have to be Mars or Pluto. Could be the dark side of the moon if you'd rather. He seemed powerful enough to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Then a cold dramatic Gravity-like flight back to earth holding a knocked out Zod and they just make it back in time. Now the tricky part would be where to put him till they can make accommodations. Well how about the other side of the world where the world engine was operating? It could very well be written that there was still lingering atmosphere/gravity spikes that Superman could drop him in. Then using the wreckage from the engine on that side of the world (didn't get sucked away) they could have worked towards building a atmospheric cell. Superman could bend and mend the wreckage and do it quite fast to boot.

This could have worked if they wanted.

Superman wouldn't have really beaten him in hand to hand combat he would have just out lasted him. The whole time he could have very well stood back and blocked as Zod goes crazy on him. Then slowly but surely as the two frost over from space Zod slows more and more and more still he's got nothing left and Superman knocks him out. Then it's a big dramatic flight back to Earth with what Superman's got left and he's gotta dig deep. Superman would have beaten him with imagination and grit.
    Sorry, but no. That sounds really bad. They literally went into space and it didn't do anything. Superman wasn't going to win this battle without assistance or killing Zod. Zod is superior to him, or he should be. This isn't All Star Superman who is facing Zod.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Sorry, but no. That sounds really bad. They literally went into space and it didn't do anything. Superman wasn't going to win this battle without assistance or killing Zod. Zod is superior to him, or he should be. This isn't All Star Superman who is facing Zod.
    I don't understand how it doesn't make sense. The reasoning is that Zod is crazy with rage and sadness and just wants to punch the crap out of Superman till her feels better. Superman takes him to space (the dark side of the moon, mars, pluto whatever) and does his best to just out last him. Take blow after blow, using rudimentary bobbing and weaving, balling up to guard, and getting back up every time he gets knocked down and putting his dukes back up for more. All the while he's just waiting and hoping his hunch is right.

He beats Zod by simply out lasting him and getting that last punch in. Maybe Zod even realized it half way through and just kept going cuz he had nothing else. I don't see how this is bad to be honest with you.

Also the go into space for just a few moments. The idea is to stay longer and further from the sun and good atmosphere. Dark side of the moon would work just fine.

You don't have to be "All Star Superman" to have a little creativity and grit. Most Superman come with that from the jump off.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2014 at 06:20 PM.

BANNED

let's play along here, wouldn't what your suggesting amount to murder anyway if a it has the same result b supes was the one who took him there? and i don't buy the whole "you lack creativity for having him kill" bit, especially since the same could be said for the opposing stance.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well according to the actual movie Superman is strong enough to get Zod in a hold and Zod not be able to do a damn thing about it but resort to trying to kill people. So I don't see why he couldn't have taken that same hold and flew him somewhere. He was also never actively trying to kill people during that fight. He was far more interested in beating the crap out of Superman.

Also doesn't have to be Mars or Pluto. Could be the dark side of the moon if you'd rather. He seemed powerful enough to go there.
    Zod wasn't "not able to do a damn thing" in that scene. It took all of Clark's strength to just prevent him from turning his head slightly and frying that family. He was barely able to hold on to him, and Zod was getting stronger. I doubt Zod would have been cooperative enough to hold still while Clark flew him into space. And I know the moon is the more feasible option, but Morrison was the one who brought up Mars and Pluto. Either way, defeating Zod in space either just leads to him being left there to die or being returned to a non-existent prison capable of holding him on Earth. Killing a villain in the heat of a battle to save innocent lives is always going to seem more heroic to me than beating a guy senseless and leaving him to die in the cold vacuum of space.

And (this isn't directed at you, btw, just general) why do some people say this film didn't adequately establish Clark's stance against killing? He spent his whole life holding back his powers because he was afraid of merely hurting people, such as his childhood bullies and the asshole at the truck stop. I think him being hesitant to kill anyone is kind of a logical leap from there.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 08-03-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    let's play along here, wouldn't what your suggesting amount to murder anyway if a it has the same result b supes was the one who took him there? and i don't buy the whole "you lack creativity for having him kill" bit, especially since the same could be said for the opposing stance.
    Not if he flew back to Earth with what he had left. Then he goes to the other side of the world with Zod where they other world engine was operating. It could be said that there are lingering Krypton-like atmospheric/gravity conditions in that ocean/area in general like fallout from an atom bomb. Superman drops him in there till accommodations can be made using the remains from the world engine that wasn't sucked away but rather damaged by Superman. Superman could help build a contaminant cell that simulates Krypton's atmosphere (which we now have data on).

This then opens up more story for Zod or maybe he ends up killing himself in his cell at the start of MOS 2? Also to be clear I think they lack creativity in the reasoning behind the killing not the actual having him kill even though I'm not really down for that for the most part.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Zod wasn't "not able to do a damn thing" in that scene. It took all of Clark's strength to just prevent him from turning his head slightly and frying that family. He was barely able to hold on to him, and Zod was getting stronger. I doubt Zod would have been cooperative enough to hold still while Clark flew him into space. And I know the moon is the more feasible option, but Morrison was the one who brought up Mars and Pluto. Either way, defeating Zod in space either just leads to him being left there to die or being returned to a non-existent prison capable of holding him on Earth. Killing a villain in the heat of a battle to save innocent lives is always going to seem more heroic to me than beating a guy senseless and leaving him to die in the cold vacuum of space.
    Well Superman was still stronger at the time and he sure had more than enough power to turn his head when he nearly spun it around. It looked more like he was holding back at that point and trying to beg him to stop. He seemed very much in control. How inconceivable is it to think that he couldn't have just flexed that flight ability of his and held on to Zod for dear life as he flew to where ever? It would make good sense that he'd be able to hold on to Zod dude to him having his powers for longer making them stronger by however much.

Morrison was using hyperbole with his explanation in the moment. So some of the things shouldn't be taken at face value I think. But the reasoning is sound I feel. I've put forth an idea for how he could hold Zod after he flys him back to Earth.