Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rebirth missing in Action: Where is Cyborg, John Stewart, Jakeem Thunder, BL...

...the Invisible Kid Jacques Foccart etc...

Cyborg, John Stewart, Vixen, Black Lightning have all made and are making significant appearances in the current DC Universe but where are their backstories that should have been reinstated once Rebirth took effect?

Fans wanted the Martian Manhunter to return as founding member of the Justice League, which dc had done, and Cyborg to have some connection with the New Teen Titans which also happened but it seems that Cyborg got the short end of the stick. He's not on the main JL book and haven't been mentioned once by the members of the Justice League since he left and launched JLO. His time with the Titans appears to be very minimum. In JLO Starfire calls him an old friend but no details have been offered? Why not? If Cyborg's connection with the Titans are now re-established why not have a flasback short story within the pages of the JLO? At the very least Deathstroke should make an appearance in JLO as a nod to the New Teen Titans/X-Men cross-over...

Black Lightning. His appearances has been minimum. Has very little supporting characters. His daughters are now his young pre-teen cousins. In the current Batman and the Outsiders book there's no mention of his community, his wife, or his kids at school- the basic foundation of who Black Lightning is. But still I'm trying to be patient since I read that big things are coming for BL in BATO.

Vixen. It seems that her recent appearances have been useless. Nothing significant about her current origins or background. A reestablished connection with Superman would be helpful since this is where she made her first appearance.

Also Cyborg, Vixen Black Lightning have not made any solo one shot appearances in popular ongoing titles since the new 52/Rebirth launched...

John Stewart. I have to admitt that Hal Jordan is my favorite Green Latern but I am being turned after reading how passionate his fans are and how some just don't like Jordan's persona. But given his position as one of the most popular Green Lanterns it's kind of odd that he has never had a solo ongoing in the modern era. This is kind of a head scratcher? At the very least he should have had a couple of mini-series under his belt that updates his connection to Earth via his family and friends. When John Stewart debuted his storyline was centered on race. I'm not a big fan of poitics and divisive social commentary in comics but it would be cool if there was a John Stewart mini series that touches on the Hal Jordan famous commentary about skin color in a mini-series.
    Last edited by Wakeneuron; 06-29-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

If you're not an A-list character or a character DC has no interest in, your backstory pretty much doesn't exist or gets left in the interpretation of many screwed up continuities. The Teen Titans/Titans is just a mess and Cyborg suffers from that. DC can't decide whether NTT happened or not. As for the others it's like I said, their backstories won't be explored because DC doesn't care to do it. But you can bet we can see Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash backstories five million times.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    If you're not an A-list character or a character DC has no interest in, your backstory pretty much doesn't exist or gets left in the interpretation of many screwed up continuities. The Teen Titans/Titans is just a mess and Cyborg suffers from that. DC can't decide whether NTT happened or not. As for the others it's like I said, their backstories won't be explored because DC doesn't care to do it. But you can bet we can see Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash backstories five million times.
    But isn't Cyborg considered an A-list character, though? He's pretty much well known.

BANNED

The JSA and the Legion of Superheroes will soon return but why do I get the feeling that Jacques Foccart, the Invisible Kid, Computo and Jakeem Thunder will not be a part of this Rebirth? Maybe it's too soon to speculate.

Also is it not odd to have an event based on spying and communications in the modern era like Event Leviathan and not include Cyborg, someone who can gain access to virtually any computer network on Earth? And why isn't one of the smartest heroes on Earth, Mr. Terrific involved? Also where is the Bronze Tiger and Vixen? Former members of the Suicide Squad.

BANNED

Cyborg had two solo series. They both tanked. He's currently in Justice League Odyssey with an important role, though I doubt the book will last much longer.

John Stewart had Green Lantern: Lost Army during DCYou, which didn't do that great. He's in Justice League right now, but not a whole lot has been done with him.

DC should probably do more with Vixen. They can never seem to find a steady place for her.

These characters are rather underdeveloped in my view, and many of their adventures and what development they do get feels pointless, because it's never exploited and often overwritten all the time.

None of the characters you mention are easy sells for DC, though, so we can't completely expect DC to totally bend over backwards for them. Also, is it just coincidence that all the characters you mention are black? I'm guessing no. DC has a lot of characters they don't do a whole lot with or develop that well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    The JSA and the Legion of Superheroes will soon return but why do I get the feeling that Jacques Foccart, the Invisible Kid, Computo and Jakeem Thunder will not be a part of this Rebirth? Maybe it's too soon to speculate.
    Neither the pre-Crisis Legion nor the JSA are coming back anytime soon (other than possibly as cannon fodder). You seem to think your favorites got shafted when it's more like these two entire teams got the short end of the stick because apparently DC thinks these teams were either irrelevant or didn't sell.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Neither the pre-Crisis Legion nor the JSA are coming back anytime soon (other than possibly as cannon fodder). You seem to think your favorites got shafted when it's more like these two entire teams got the short end of the stick because apparently DC thinks these teams were either irrelevant or didn't sell.
    JSA did well enough to get two spinoffs before New 52.

Some how that book was about to make use of Michael Holt & Jakeem.

DC tossed them because Batman and his friends could not be made to look OLD-despite most of them having kids now.

Also, is it just coincidence that all the characters you mention are black?
    Probably not. It just get noticeable when you competition has no issue using blacks as the leads.

I am not talking Marvel Comics. Relay, Freeze, Excellence, Black, Fence, Backstaggers, Bone Parish, Source and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    But isn't Cyborg considered an A-list character, though? He's pretty much well known.
    True and I should've explained better but with Cyborg his problem is weird. His backstory is messy not because of him but instead the Titans. He has his origin and it remained the same since New 52 but whether he was with the Titans or an actual founder of the JL is up in the air.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Probably not. It just get noticeable when you competition has no issue using blacks as the leads.

I am not talking Marvel Comics. Relay, Freeze, Excellence, Black, Fence, Backstaggers, Bone Parish, Source and others.
    See, personally, nowadays I wouldn't even bother taking DC to task over such a thing, though it is a valid criticism, I suppose. If the company isn't interested in offering that, or feels it's too difficult for them, or whatever, that is their prerogative. They're not obligated to do that. And it wouldn't even really reflect on how good their fiction is, which is the most important thing, really.

If other people are offering what you're looking for (which is a totally reasonable thing to look for) to a more satisfactory level, I would just go to the other people and would have no problem letting DC do things their way, rather than trying to browbeat DC into something they just might not be all that interested in.

I'm not trying to talk people's criticisms down or squelch discussion. I just consider sometimes what I would think or how I would feel if some people came at me with some demands I either couldn't fulfill or didn't have an interest in meeting. I would probably just say, "Hey, that's just not what I'm offering right now. You can probably find it somewhere else out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post

Also is it not odd to have an event based on spying and communications in the modern era like Event Leviathan and not include Cyborg, someone who can gain access to virtually any computer network on Earth? And why isn't one of the smartest heroes on Earth, Mr. Terrific involved? Also where is the Bronze Tiger and Vixen? Former members of the Suicide Squad.

We don't even know if Ostrander's SS run is canon. So for Vixen and Bronze Tiger, their connection with the SS is non existent for the time being.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    See, personally, nowadays I wouldn't even bother taking DC to task over such a thing, though it is a valid criticism, I suppose. If the company isn't interested in offering that, or feels it's too difficult for them, or whatever, that is their prerogative. They're not obligated to do that. And it wouldn't even really reflect on how good their fiction is, which is the most important thing, really.

If other people are offering what you're looking for (which is a totally reasonable thing to look for) to a more satisfactory level, I would just go to the other people and would have no problem letting DC do things their way, rather than trying to browbeat DC into something they just might not be all that interested in.

I'm not trying to talk people's criticisms down or squelch discussion. I just consider sometimes what I would think or how I would feel if some people came at me with some demands I either couldn't fulfill or didn't have an interest in meeting. I would probably just say, "Hey, that's just not what I'm offering right now. You can probably find it somewhere else out there."
    I am sorry but saying "I am not interested" would not be acceptable to YOUR BOSS. It might fly with Dan but that black woman who killed Vertigo is not going to her bosses with that excuse.

No one is going to accept "I am not interested." nor "Comicsgate" nor "bigoted comic book stores." as an excuse.

Someone will get FIRED. It won't be anyone ranking at Dan's level or higher. It will be YOU the editor on the way out.

YOU as an employee of a company can NOT tell folks go somewhere else. Because doing that is why DC is in the mess that it is in.

Does Black Panther have to make another billion? Win 3 more Oscars?

If I was an employee I would see a HUGE issue with that. All you are doing is giving more power to your competition.

It's not that hard to do 3 issue mini here, guest spot in a book there, a team role, one shot, backups and role in an event.

I am not asking for the Carol Danvers deal. Do the LITTLE things that eventually pay off.

Incredible Member

Careful not to mention Terrifics or Naomi.

I am sorry but saying "I am not interested" would not be acceptable to YOUR BOSS. It might fly with Dan but that black woman who killed Vertigo is not going to her bosses with that excuse.
    Huh?

What exactly are you talking about here?

Does Black Panther have to make another billion? Win 3 more Oscars?
    What does this have to do with comic books?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    True and I should've explained better but with Cyborg his problem is weird. His backstory is messy not because of him but instead the Titans. He has his origin and it remained the same since New 52 but whether he was with the Titans or an actual founder of the JL is up in the air.
    He's a Titans and joined Justice League later