Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    BANNED

That crisis book is part of tv multiverse not the comics multiverse.

I have no problem with having these multiple Earths if it allows them to be more daring in the main titles. It allows them to keep fans of a specific era happy. As long as there aren’t crossovers constantly I’ll be good. I didn’t mind Marvel’s Ultimate Universe because for years there was very little crossover. If DC does something like that I won’t mind. I really don’t want to read about all these alternate versions of characters. Seems like too much nostalgia driving that. Now if DC can use the multiverse to tell some good stories with fresh interpretations, then I’m down for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaygon View Post
    So what happened to the ‘stolen 10 years’ aspect of Manhattan’s tinkering? Did moving the lantern create a butterfly affect which automatically led to those 10 ‘stolen’ years? The missing years seemed far more of a focus for the origin of the New-52 (when initially presented in Rebirth).

Also, DDC doesn’t (unless I’m missing it) affirm that Manhattan (in addition to altering the timeline) caused both Superman and Lois to ‘split’ in two. This had retconned the Convergence pre-Flashpoint Superman as having always been the New- 52 Superman, just having been divided in two at some point in the past. IIRC, this was to clarify that the New-52 reality WAS the pre-Flashpoint reality, albeit altered as result of the ‘tinkering’. Surely the said-splitting did not occur as result of Manhattan having moved the lantern?

I like the Meta-reveal including the revelation of Earth-1985 though if Earth-1985 was copied from Earth-One right before it ceased to exist in Crisis 10, Supergirl and Flash are already dead. I like how the ‘copied’ earth concept ties back to Infinite Crisis in a number of ways ; Earth-Two Lois’ observation (just before she dies) that she sees the bigger picture, the anomaly of the resurrected Earth-Two which was unpopulated, the ‘Earth-Two’ (which had a Jay Garrick) on which Bart Allen spent 4 years during IC before returning as an adult, Alexander Luthor’s ‘everything comes from Superman’ comment, Earth-Two Wonder Woman being pulled ‘somewhere’. It all fits.
    Convergence gives you a way out on several of these points:

1. Manhattan didn't split Superman; Convergence did. In particular, it pulled Lois and Clark out of the timestream before Manhattan altered the Metaverse and re-inserted them after the alteration.

2. Convergence also pulled Supergirl and the Flash out of the timestream shortly before their deaths in the Crisis, before sending them back to prevent the destruction of the Multiverse. Superman: Lois and Clark shows the heroes defeating the Anti-Monitor (though with little context to explain how they did it), and then shows Parallax sending them off somewhere. A possibility is that he sent them to Earth 1985, so that they “replaced themselves” in a manner similar to how pre-N52 Superman replaced N52 Superman: their Earth 1985 versions died in the Crisis, but were then replaced by their Convergence versions.

Incidentally, I tend to take all of your references in that last paragraph as being references to DDC's Earth 2, not Earth 1985.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Yeah, whatever, i bet they need an EVENT to do that as well... for the freaking 100th times. Who buys in to this crap anymore ? they intentionaly screw up their universe to have an event now. It's so obvious. Thanks DC but no thanks, i don't buy your crap anymore... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The goal of the Metaverse in-story is to preserve every iteration of Superman as he's the backbone of DCU, but I'm not sure if it's limited to the context of Crisis or not.

So I don't know if... say... Earth-Birthright and Earth-American Alien count.

Earth-Byrne should exist though since he's different from New 52 and Pre-Crisis
    It doesn't need to be Event-based. The transition from Golden Age Earth to Earth 2 didn't have a Crisis associated with it. So yes, I'd say that Birthright and American Alien count.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post

1. Manhattan didn't split Superman; Convergence did. In particular, it pulled Lois and Clark out of the timestream before Manhattan altered the Metaverse and re-inserted them after the alteration.

2. Convergence also pulled Supergirl and the Flash out of the timestream shortly before their deaths in the Crisis, before sending them back to prevent the destruction of the Multiverse. Superman: Lois and Clark shows the heroes defeating the Anti-Monitor (though with little context to explain how they did it), and then shows Parallax sending them off somewhere. A possibility is that he sent them to Earth 1985, so that they “replaced themselves” in a manner similar to how pre-N52 Superman replaced N52 Superman: their Earth 1985 versions died in the Crisis, but were then replaced by their Convergence versions.

Incidentally, I tend to take all of your references in that last paragraph as being references to DDC's Earth 2, not Earth 1985.
    Nice explanation! That works well. The whole Meta Earth angle (the main-earth ever-changing) also ties into the Convergence statement that after the original CRISIS was averted off-panel in Convergence, the original multiverse (now intact) developed over time into the version of the multiverse we now have.

Correct. Those latter references were intended to be in relation to DDC Earth-2 rather than Earth-1985.

John’s Earth-2 from Justice Society of America (the version which had a Justice Society Infinity) was very close to the DDC Earth-2 concept. It’s characters had an ‘almost’ identical history to pre-Crisis Earth-2, remembered ‘red skies’ and then presumed that they were the only surviving earth in the multiverse. In reality, they had been cut off from the multiverse, post-Crisis. I always wondered if this was actually the Earth-2 of the original 52 multiverse or a more ‘authentic’ Earth-2, much like the concept explored in DDC 12. It seemed much more authentic in terms of the original pre-crisis Earth-2 than any of the other worlds of the 52 multiverse.

One thing that irks (I mentioned it on the WW thread) is the depiction of Diana (both in the Justice Society Infinity (as a photo) and in DDC 12 ; she appears young and almost identical to the contemporary Diana (1985 and/or current) Unlike the Earth-2 Diana from Infinity Inc, America vs the JSA, CRISIS, Last Days of the JSA, Infinite Crisis etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Okay. We know we have Earths 1, 2, 1985 and 52.

What other Earths could we have? What other eras of Superman were preserved?
    Earth 1985 is basically a version of Pre-COIE Earth 1...preserved after Earth 1 morphed into Post-COIE Earth 0.

There are probably many variations of Earth 2 'out there' in the Multiverse and the Metaverse, but I believe that the original Earth 2 that we saw all through the Silver Age/Bronze Age is gone, and now exists as part of the merged Earth 0.

In terms of the mainstream earths and the Supermen we are confirmed to have now, we have...

Silver/Bronze Age Superman 'preserved' on Earth 1985 after COIE.

New 52 Superman 'preserved' on Earth 52 after Rebirth and DDC.

Post-Reborn Superman who's the current Superman, existing on Earth 0.

Other potential versions of Superman who could exist include...

Golden Age Superman 'preserved' on some version of Earth 2. But this would not be the Kal-L who died in IC.

Post-COIE Superman 'preserved' on some version of Post-COIE Earth (Earth 86?) after the Birthright retcon or IC.

And of course, the Supermen in various Elseworlds and Black Label stories are all anyway out there somewhere.

BANNED

Metaverse splits Earth two away.

You have to keep in mind Dr.M restarted the metaverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post

Yeah, Manhattan didn't do a lot to create multiple Earths, but his investigations were used to explain what was really happening as he discovered them. As to the presence of Flash and Supergirl in panel 6 when they were supposedly dead, no one's complaining about Bruce in Earth 2's panel 4 and he was dead as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Earth 1985 is basically a version of Pre-COIE Earth 1...preserved after Earth 1 morphed into Post-COIE Earth 0.
    I've gone through this in another thread, but there is no reason to rename Earth 1 in order to store a copy of it. Earth 1 became Earth 1985 only in the sense that post-Crisis Clutter-Earth (which really needed an actual name) became the main metaverse Earth where the bulk of stories were done. Every other time an Earth designation references a year, it's the year that Earth began.

And every Superman variation has its own Earth stored somewhere. There's a George Reeves Superman Earth out there and one in which Superman teams with the Brady Kids.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As to the presence of Flash and Supergirl in panel 6 when they were supposedly dead, no one's complaining about Bruce in Earth 2's panel 4 and he was dead as well.
    That's a good point. We shouldn't be looking at these pictures as who the Heroes on a given Earth are at a particular moment in time; we should be looking at them in terms of which heroes are emblematic of that Earth.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Last Son of Krypton recently posted that Wonder Woman will have been active in WW I.

I got nothing. It makes no sense at all as presented so far. Hopefully details will improve thing.

"Everything happened" - but did it all happen in the same continuity? I hope they don't expect to just ignore any and all semblance of continuity in everything. Also, I'm the tiniest bit terrified they are going to make WW I end the year before WWII starts (so they can keep the 1938 start date), since they've already put WW II only 60 years ago.

I get movie synchronicity as a general concept, but it's weird timing, since that was a few years ago now, and the next one is 80s centered.

If these are all the same universe/continuity, I don't think DC knows what "fixing" the timeline means. If these are different continuities, I want a complete timeline for each.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Last Son of Krypton recently posted that Wonder Woman will have been active in WW I.

I got nothing. It makes no sense at all as presented so far. Hopefully details will improve thing.

"Everything happened" - but did it all happen in the same continuity? I hope they don't expect to just ignore any and all semblance of continuity in everything. Also, I'm the tiniest bit terrified they are going to make WW I end the year before WWII starts (so they can keep the 1938 start date), since they've already put WW II only 60 years ago.

I get movie synchronicity as a general concept, but it's weird timing, since that was a few years ago now, and the next one is 80s centered.

If these are all the same universe/continuity, I don't think DC knows what "fixing" the timeline means. If these are different continuities, I want a complete timeline for each.
    They're all one timeline with realtime of their own sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    They're all one timeline with realtime of their own sorts.
    That statement makes no sense to me. I mean, I don't know what it means. I get the "one timeline" bit but the "realtime of their own sorts" is unclear.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That statement makes no sense to me. I mean, I don't know what it means. I get the "one timeline" bit but the "realtime of their own sorts" is unclear.
    Realtime as in ages. They age like us with few exceptions. Superman is 60.

It all makes sense.