Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default DC is planning on fixing their timeline!

Dan Didio says they are working on a DC Universe timeline to fit everything on there to be a basis for all characters. So they can have a Who’s who? again and have less confusion on the universe.
    source: https://www.reddit.com/live/13b2tdrfoqye7/

DC editorial is currently working on an official timeline of the DC Universe "so that we have a better understanding of how are characters interconnect and fall in their relationships with each other," said DiDio.
    source:https://www.newsarama.com/46028-sdcc...dan-didio.html

"The failing of the New 52 was that we didn't take the time to figure this stuff out."- Dan Didio

No s@#$! People could've told you this the day the New 52 launched!

I still have no faith in this because the same people who effed it up are still the same people behind it. If they are truly making one timeline then DC needs to put their foot down and make a mandated Secret Origins book that writers and editors must follow and reference. Too many characters still don't have concrete origins and it's been 8 years since the reboot. If they are truly going to make a cohesive timeline they need to sort out character origins and team origins first. Yes, ALL OF THEM!

What are the Green Lanterns of Earth origins? Hal, Jessica and Simon may have theirs but the rest don't. They just have hints or speculated guesses. Did old events actually happen like Emerald Twilight which launched Kyle or Hal retiring which put John and Guy on board? Did Mosaic happen? We know Katma and John's romance existed (I think) but to what capacity?

Did the 80s Suicide Squad happen?

The New 52 JLI makes no sense since the JL was just formed and they apparently knew each other already

How can Cyborg be a founding member if NTT happened? Did NTT happen? So much hints drop that it did and If so, Donna in Finch's run makes no sense.

I don't even want to think about how the JSA fits in this. From Doomsday Clock it seems that New 52 is still its own reality/Earth I guess but...idk.

I may be overthinking this but I hate not knowing what my favorite characters origins are and where they fit in the DCU. DC has their work cut out for them and this is a mess they created. I'm curious how they're going to fix it.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

There's no way to do it without at least a soft reboot.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Well, since in Superman and WOnder Woman case, nothing which happened in New 52 still exists in any way, shape or form, it's rather easy to deal with them. And beyond Snyder's JL, Batman also seems to have retained next to nothing of this era.

Aquaman's easy, but in the other direction : New 52's still the canon as far as I know and understand the storylines. I guess Flash and the GL are kind of confusing, but that's really it for the big guns.

Boisterously Confused

Waiting for the next dumpster fire....

Oh my, first of April again already? Time sure goes by. Look at that silly calendar, telling me it's july.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

lol that's a funny joke

I'll always give it a chance though. That's what I do every reboot. Pick up every issue I'm interested, and then whittle it down little by little the moment they screw it up

I have zero faith in their ability to make sense of DC's continuity. They should have made a timeline years ago before things became the mess they currently are.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The only way DC can truly fix their timeline is if they bring back the pre-Crisis continuity in-tact OR if they do a hard reboot of their entire line. And I'm talking EVERYONE, not excluding Batman or Green Lantern.

As I have no faith either one of these will happen, I remain skeptical.

Basically I read this as "There's going to be another reboot, probably trying to get back to Didio's vision of an edgier, darker, grittier direction for everybody like the new52, only allegedly with more of a plan this time (allegedly), but probably won't be what many fans here want even by some miracle there are no continuity problems, cause again Didio-verse rules."

Extraordinary Member

Who’s getting erased?

It is interesting that Didio calls NEW 52 a failure.

While I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the changes that came with New 52, I wouldn't necessarily call it a failure especially initially. The problem with New 52 is that they didn't fix the glaring problems that were popping up shortly after it was initiated, and in some cases doubled down on them. There were some things working with New 52 (JL, Morrison's Superman, Snyder's Batman). But as with Crisis on Infinite Earths, they just didn't have a firm plan in place either before they began New 52 or after certain things that definitely weren't working began branching out to the successful titles.

Here's a starting point for them:

Of course, it dates back to 1994's Zero Hour, so it would need some retooling . . .

Astonishing Member

This is such a waste of time. If there's one thing I've learned from reading comics for over 40 years now is that writers hate having their hands tied and being told exactly how to write things. They will either forget certain aspects of it, decide to ignore it altogether, or have to find some convoluted way to fit their idea in the story they want to write, which will only confuse things more.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The 3 guarantees in life... Taxes, death... and when DC say they’re going ‘fix’ something, what they’ll actually do is make things worse!

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This is such a waste of time. If there's one thing I've learned from reading comics for over 40 years now is that writers hate having their hands tied and being told exactly how to write things. They will either forget certain aspects of it, decide to ignore it altogether, or have to find some convoluted way to fit their idea in the story they want to write, which will only confuse things more.
    I used to be a big stickler for continuity because I used to think the worst thing you could tell a long-time fan is that one of their favorite stories no longer happened to that character. I've softened on this stance considerably over the years, primarily because I've come to realize that many stories that are out-of-continuity are some of my favorites, so now I'm of the mindset that "follow continuity, unless your story really, REALLY justifies otherwise".

Having said that, I think a comic book writer who takes on a character like say, Superman, does so with the understanding that they're also inheriting the character's supporting characters and history. So if they're feeling hindered by the fact that they have to know Lex's backstory in order to write a Lex Luthor that makes sense to the reader, then I don't feel sorry for them.
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 07-19-2019 at 08:41 AM.